Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

I haven't shaved in 7 years. I bloody hated shaving, thank god beards are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

FWIW, We (in the UK) bought our flat with a 10% deposit, a 30 year mortgage, and our payments (and factoring fees, which we didn't pay when we rented) are less than the rent we were paying on the same flat. Assuming the property is worth the same amount in 30 years, we would need a savings account that gets 30% AER to have our savings reach the same amount in 30 years, if my sums are correct.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

First film I remember seeing was the Jungle Book when I was very young - not sure why a film from the 60's was playing as this would have been in the mid to late 80's. We must have went a matinee showing on a shopping trip as it's one my my dad's favourite films. My dad lost a filling to a bit of toffee - that's the only bit about the trip I remember.

Next film I remember seeing (probably the next film I saw, seeing as we were skint and lived in the middle of nowhere) was Jurassic Park when I was ten - I remember persuading my parents to go to Pizza Hut for the first time beforehand, then getting into trouble for not eating much.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

Are euro plates ever acceptable?

If you are in the US I would give a pass to an imported car wearing it's original plates on the front in a no plate state. Otherwise it's a bit tacky.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Continuing movie chat the trailer for Baby Driver looks fun. Edgar Wright (Spaced / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead / Scott Pilgrim) usually does entertaining stuff and he was recently posting about his love of The Driver mentioned earlier so I'm pretty hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byb2eJ_lLes

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Fucks sake, an hour and a half motorway trip home became a three and half hour trip through town centres and single track roads because some idiot tried to drive a lorry over the forth road bridge in high winds again.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

The lorry voted on whether to exit from the bridge, and the fact it didn't do so, and that it's probably a bad idea, is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to try again later.
Very good :v:

quote:

That stuff kind of sucks, though, I've been caught a few times stuck on totally closed motorways, and you can be there for literally hours, the only time there was an upside was when I was at the front of the queue when it reopened and I got to do a standing mile run on the M1.

My worst one was getting stuck overnight somewhere in England and almost missing a flight a few years ago when there was some really bad flooding. The plan was to drive down to Devon, stay with an Aunt and fly to Austria on holiday the next day... I was meant to get to my Aunts in time for a late dinner.

I ended up spending the night on the motorway and by the time it opened up I had to drive flat out to Exeter airport, dump my car in the short stay car park and sprint to my flight - caught it just in time.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

When I was in high school I was diagnosed with ADD but shrugged it off; I've been diagnosed again as an adult (now called inattentive-type ADHD; no hyperactivity) and I'm wondering how to treat it so I can hold my grip better at work. I've previously floundered in full time jobs but have done well with part time gigs; I'm currently working full time and am banging my head against the wall by lunch. Anyone else have this going on? What worked for you?

I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type at 29.

Done reasonably well in school until my mid teens, I done no work but was bright enough to get by. Last couple of years of school being brightish was no longer enough to get by, failed everything in 5th year and scraped two C's or 3's or whatever in 6th year.

Decided not to go to uni, but parents and grandparents persuaded me - got in on an HND course, upgraded to a batechlors degree, was advised not to stay on for honours - I didn't. Passed only by panicked late night sessions the day before hand in and a lack of sit down exams.

Lucked into a field based technical job after uni. Ended up getting promoted into doing more and more office work, despite not being qualified. I was good at figuring new stuff out, and often got handed jobs that nobody in the company knew how to do and getting on with it and figuring it out. I always struggled with getting reports done and they were always late.

Thinking a change of scene might help, I changed companies. It didn't. I ended up almost entirely office based and the only person in the company able to do my job. I coped, in the loosest sense of the word. Things constantly late, working late but not achieving anything, feeling like a shitbag and expecting to be fired.

In the end I explained it all to my boss, got a diagnosis and got prescribed Ritalin. Boss was very supportive, things improved a bit, I've got good people picking up my slack now, but ended up giving up the Ritalin because it didn't seem to do poo poo, and me being me I never went back to the docs to get m script renewed.

Fast forward to January of this year, once again it's Sunday night and I'm trying to finish a very late report. I know how it's going to go, I'll stay up to 2 or 3, not get anything done and feel like poo poo. I just want to be in bed with my wife. I go talk to her and we decide, seeing as her job is relatively secure for now I should quit, get a crap job, clear my head and figure out what to do next.

I quit the next day. I give them the option to keep me on zero hour contract - I'll only do field work and a bit of data management - I'm not touching another goddamn word document. They take the offer, and for various reasons it's best for everybody. I've still got a bit to go but my mental health has been so much better since. Luckily I have had enough work since but I haven't really figured out my next move.

Now that probably isn't much help, but here is my advice from my experience - just because you can do something, and even be very good at it doesn't mean you should be doing it if your ADHD makes reliably doing it a nightmare.

Don't spend years trying to fit a round peg into a square hole because it looks like it fits - I made the mistake of spending years thinking "I can do this job and it's my only chance of a good career - I just need to knuckle down" - it made me miserable and I got nowhere.

Set rules for yourself on what you are reliably capable of based on previous experience - i.e. all those times it took you two weeks more than it should have to finish a report not the one time you were on fire and done two reports in a day.

One big caveat for this, drugs or cognitive behavioural therapy might help you, I never gave them much of a chance as I was already too burned out to care by the time I was diagnosed. Maybe give them a go before you try my burn your career down build a rickety shack on the ashes method. But if it really isn't working get out and figure out a more suitable job sooner rather than later.

stump fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

drat, rdb, my condolences that sounds terrible.

blk posted:

Dang, I identify a lot with this.......

IANAT but it's if your home problems and work problems sound super correlated. I became better at compartmentalising home and work life when I moved in with my now wife, and I was very lucky she has always tried to be supportive and understanding, but work still greatly affected my home life.

If you and your wife don't rearrange your lifestyle to allow you to find work you can enjoy, the chances of saving your marriage are much lower. If your job is one of the things driving a wedge into your marriage then staying in that job for the sake of your marriage seems counter productive.

I used to constantly fret that I was going to grenade my career, and doing that was going to be a catalyst is destroying my relationship, when in reality it was my stress about work which was a far greater pressure on our relationship.

Good luck man.

Edit: FWIW, being poor as a kid never affected me, but my dad was a much less pleasant person to live with when he was stressed out of his mind trying to keep a struggling company afloat. Your kids will appreciate having a happy dad.

stump fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread