Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

is there any particular reason farage is starting a fight against carswell?

It's what he does: he continues to see Ukip as his baby and can't tolerate rival power bases. He's done this repeatedly with individuals who became too prominent in the psrty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If someone gets made a peer, how do they pick the "of Such-and-Such" part?

Does the person get to pick it themself?

Could farage be Baron Farage of Ukip if he wanted?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Surely a studied expert on UK politics like yourself doesn't need to ask

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

It's not really the issue is it? It's the tabloid mentality of deflecting onto a scapegoat, like when serious welfare problems are shouted down with TEN-CHILDREN FAMILY GETS MANSION or DISABILITY CHEAT'S SECRET CIRCUS ACT

Ah, yes, of course you are right about that. I forgot for a second what the wonderful press is like. There's a lot of horrible poo poo happening and somehow I can see the Daily Mail article: "A PRISONER is living better* than YOU!" *(actually we just made this up)

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

jabby posted:

Ken Loach has written a good article about why blaming the current state of Labour entirely on Corbyn is a ridiculously simplistic view at best. He talks about how neither of the recent candidates were willing to campaign with Momentum or attend their events, and how the PLP as a whole isn't just rebelling against Corbyn but rebelling against his policies. They refuse to talk about them, refuse to campaign on them, and won't even endorse them in interviews. The party is fundamentally paralysed while we have elected representatives who refuse to represent the membership.

Everyone should read this because it shows why it's important to elect a Labour leader who has the confidence of their MPs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Namtab posted:

Far age didn't get knighted and carswell made fun of him for it.

lol i'm sure getting the only MP of the party expelled is a great idea

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Plenty of rumour that carswell is looking at re-defecting (double defecting? un-defecting? refecting?) back to the tories at the moment, but that would serve fartrage better than him, surely?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

carswell 2: defect harder

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Carswell strikes me as one of those clever but naive people. He defected to Ukip on what he considered a genuine point of principle and has spent his time since then in ever increasing dismay and disbelief at the snakepit of poisonous incompetence that he gullibly leapt into.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
can anyone confirm the whereabouts of one-punch hookem

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Plenty of rumour that carswell is looking at re-defecting (double defecting? un-defecting? refecting?) back to the tories at the moment, but that would serve fartrage better than him, surely?

I think Carswell is relatively popular on a local level and would retain the seat, especially given the general swing away from UKIP to the Tories as they move further right.

Trump's state visit has been postponed by the way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think Carswell is relatively popular on a local level

When he first defected and won his seat's re-election, BBC went down there to ask locals why they voted for Carswell/UKIP and the response from one local was "because our previous MP was loving useless."

Voters are dumb, is what I'm saying.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Hey everyone, I posted this in the last thread as it was kicking off and some very nice anonymous person donated some money for the cause.

I'm raising some money for Asylum Justice by asking people to vote via cash (democracy through transparent payments, not sure what you'd call that?) to kill or save the beard through comments on their donations.

It closes at around 16:00 today (when I actually visit my barbers) and currently there's around 4 quid difference between the two so you can really make a difference, plus you know, good cause and all that. So by all means, vote away with the link below:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BeardJustice

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pistol_Pete posted:

defected to Ukip [from Tories]

a genuine point of principle

doubtful

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paxman posted:

Everyone should read this because it shows why it's important to elect a Labour leader who has the confidence of their MPs.

Maybe people would have done if any of the other options had either left wing credentials or actual talent

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, nobody said they were good principles.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

reminder that nothing matters

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paxman posted:

Then again it also shows why Labour needs better MPs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Blair - who people wanted to vote for - is responsible for people not wanting to vote for Corbyn.

I. See.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/836914493976416256

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 1, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh No!

This Is Bad For Corbyn!

Down With This Sort Of Thing!

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I hope Ken Loach can make a nice film about jeremy corbyn, man of the people

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yes it is bad for Corbyn that he's an ill-prepared, disorganised fuckwit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Yes it is bad for Corbyn that he's an ill-prepared, disorganised fuckwit.

Congratulations on being the next leader of the opposition

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Perhaps he had already welcomed him and couldn't be bothered to do it again on what is essentially a 30-minute lunch-time TV programme?

Who knows - perhaps he thinks Snell is a oval office?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's supposed to welcome him in parliament.

But maybe youre right and be couldn't be bothered.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Wait hold up, who's the oldest MP now? Is it Skinner? Please don't let it be Skinner.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think its ken Clarke.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Blair - who people wanted to vote for - is responsible for people not wanting to vote for Corbyn.

I. See.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/836914493976416256

https://vine.co/v/ei5DvP3DHpv

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

I think its ken Clarke.

Yes, Ken Clarke is the new Father of the House.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/DavidMapstone/status/836892967239577600

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That video is just spinning for me- hasn't vine shut down?

I'm prepared to give him a chance.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dennis Skinner is older than Ken Clarke. Ken Clarke is father of the house because he's the longest serving MP. (Technically speaking, Clarke, Skinner and Kaufman all won their seats in the 1970 election but Kaufman was sworn in before Clarke who was sworn in before Skinner)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Perhaps he had already welcomed him and couldn't be bothered to do it again on what is essentially a 30-minute lunch-time TV programme?

Who knows - perhaps he thinks Snell is a oval office?

Snell certainly got some sort of personal welcome.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/836222877967994880

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I remember now - isn't there jostling over who gets sworn in first among young new MPs as that'll mean they might be father of the house one day?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

poo poo, it's Skinner then. Don't die on us, old man! You missed your chance with 2016!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Lords debates the Article 50 bill again today, with the remaining amendments grouped as such:

• Northern Ireland peace process
  • Environmental protection
  • Impact assessments
  • Rights of EEA nationals.
  • Co-operation in Euratom
  • Negotiation priorities
  • Parliamentary scrutiny
  • Devolved matters

The most likely defeat for the Government would be on the rights of EU nationals, but Labour do appear to be pushing a lot on parliamentary scrutiny too.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 1, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/836841236929654784

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ooh a new poll

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/836913430988795905

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

when is the corbyn relaunch supposed to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Any Countdown fans here devastated by Ricky Tomlinson's allegations that Richard Whitely worked for MI5 to undermine union activity?

• Locked thread