Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

feedmegin posted:

So were you? Like, ask the Philippines what went down about a century and change ago. I'm not sure what on earth that has to do with our Leader of the Opposition in 2017 and I'm not sure that an American is in the best place to tell us what we should be doing better given the results on the ground over there :shobon:

No we definitely are. You guys voted for brexit, we voted for Hillary. poo poo's hosed up, but the American people were wise.

Also lol at the Phillipenes vs The British Empire.

E: to a billion and a half people, a significant portion of life involves avoiding the number '4' because it is very unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hakimashou posted:

You can work xenophobia to your advantage. Blame the tories' friends with their dirty Russian money for the price of housing. Remember, it's a privilege for a foreigner to own property in Great Britaine, make them pay some humongous tax for it.

Did that, it failed. My god, what a waste of internet you are. Any hot takes about Armenia?

Attacking the tories for being dodgy is a bit pointless. Tory voters are dodgy. They'd do it themselves.

hakimashou posted:

No we definitely are. You guys voted for brexit, we voted for Hillary. poo poo's hosed up, but the American people were wise.

lol you live in the worst developed country on the planet

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

the American people were wise.

Good one :golfclap:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The dirty money in London housing isn't Russian

Some of it's Chinese too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All money extracted from the labour of the workers is dirty, comrade :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Looke posted:

what was that?

one fo the people who ran that twitter account had meltdown

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Spangly A posted:

Did that, it failed. My god, what a waste of internet you are. Any hot takes about Armenia?

Attacking the tories for being dodgy is a bit pointless. Tory voters are dodgy. They'd do it themselves.

lol you live in the worst developed country on the planet

Was it couched in TYOOL2017 Britain 'auslander raus' rhetoric though?

J. Corbz should be out there railing against May selling britain's precious land to her foreign friends.

Even if it doesn't work it's better than whatever the gently caress corbyn does every day.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Was it couched in TYOOL2017 Britain 'auslander raus' rhetoric though?

J. Corbz should be out there railing against May selling britain's precious land to her foreign friends.

Even if it doesn't work it's better than whatever the gently caress corbyn does every day.

yeah it's definitely better that he fails whilst marching everyone towards nationalism than fails while not you're right and it doesn't lead to major problems and never has.

You still haven't answered. White nationalists get shooty when their precious feelings get hurt, that's why they should never be tolerated. I'd prefer they were quarantined but saying "No, you're bad people, and should gently caress off" is always the appropriate response.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Spangly A posted:

yeah it's definitely better that he fails whilst marching everyone towards nationalism than fails while not you're right and it doesn't lead to major problems and never has.

You still haven't answered. White nationalists get shooty when their precious feelings get hurt, that's why they should never be tolerated. I'd prefer they were quarantined but saying "No, you're bad people, and should gently caress off" is always the appropriate response.

Answered what?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Answered what?

Can you define yourself ethno-nationally so we have a suggestion who we should kick out?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Spangly A posted:

Can you define yourself ethno-nationally so we have a suggestion who we should kick out?

American?

E: one of my grandparents had a 'Mac' name.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 1, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Perfidious yanqui

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kustomkarkommando posted:

Perfidious yanqui

Only Albion is perfidious.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Purging the yanks means we technically get to boot out BOZZA LEGERND, so therefore I'm all for it

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

America is the living triumph of colonialism young poster

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

MikeCrotch posted:

Purging the yanks means we technically get to boot out BOZZA LEGERND, so therefore I'm all for it

Didn't he renounce his yankness so he could get away with not paying yank taxes, or something?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Peers voting on EU citizen rights amendment. Some demonstration that I'm not a bargaining chip would be nice, IMO

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Peers voting on EU citizen rights amendment. Some demonstration that I'm not a bargaining chip would be nice, IMO

In the best spirit, you're a crap bargaining chip. Threatening to kick out masses of highly qualified immigrants and take back all the pensioners is a pretty loving sweet deal. For Spain.

e;"lets trade doctors for millions of sickly unemployed people who will moan constantly and probably already vote tory but won't ever again"

There are no words to describe how much I would like to be in the room at that moment

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Welp looks like my ability to stay here is being decided atm. Sure feels like something.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If it makes any of you feel any better my ability to stay here is determined by how much money my partner makes. UK immigration is a loving mess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As thrilling as the page after page about the Labour leadership is, I'm not sure it really matters all that much. Regardless of who leads the party, the problems of who the gently caress their base is remains. How to cope with losing 40 odd MPs in Scotland, while still appealing to English voters who feel Scotland gets an unfair share of the pie. How to appeal to potential voters "worried about immigration" while not losing the overwhelmingly pro-EU people who voted Labour in 2015. Not to mention any boundary changes to be proposed next year and likely enacted before a 2020 general election and a whole host of other issues large and small..

David Miliband or Tony Blair or Dan Jarvis or Clive Lewis or Jeremy Corbyn or Dennis Skinner or Zombie Keir Hardie/Clem Attlee mash-up would all still have to still deal with those concerns. Plus plenty others. Corbyn is a bad leader and if there was a general election Labour would do really badly under him. He's not popular. He's failed to get across his message effectively, and frankly I still don't really know what his message is yet. But the problems are much deeper and wasting so much time on this one issue is just not seeing the forest for the trees.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

As thrilling as the page after page about the Labour leadership is, I'm not sure it really matters all that much. Regardless of who leads the party, the problems of who the gently caress their base is remains. How to cope with losing 40 odd MPs in Scotland, while still appealing to English voters who feel Scotland gets an unfair share of the pie. How to appeal to potential voters "worried about immigration" while not losing the overwhelmingly pro-EU people who voted Labour in 2015. Not to mention any boundary changes to be proposed next year and likely enacted before a 2020 general election and a whole host of other issues large and small..

David Miliband or Tony Blair or Dan Jarvis or Clive Lewis or Jeremy Corbyn or Dennis Skinner or Zombie Keir Hardie/Clem Attlee mash-up would all still have to still deal with those concerns. Plus plenty others. Corbyn is a bad leader and if there was a general election Labour would do really badly under him. He's not popular. He's failed to get across his message effectively, and frankly I still don't really know what his message is yet. But the problems are much deeper and wasting so much time on this one issue is just not seeing the forest for the trees.

You to forgot to mention that English people seem to be really quite eager to vote for increasingly naked authoritarianism.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

MikeCrotch posted:

You to forgot to mention that English people seem to be really quite eager to vote for increasingly naked authoritarianism.

lol and all the original neoliberal guys worried that any more state planning would lead to the end of democracy
turns out no holds barred capitalism is entirely consistent with authoritarianism

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

and i must meme posted:

lol and all the original neoliberal guys worried that any more state planning would lead to the end of democracy
turns out no holds barred capitalism is entirely consistent with authoritarianism

This has been acknowledged fact for decades when examining South America or Africa if you only look at post ww2 history and has been true at the start of capitalism otherwise.

Capitalism has only consistently stood for the rich and powerful to remain so.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Spangly A posted:

you saying it sarcastically doesn't make your point true

like this

you're not a dumbass

I may be a dumbass but I really don't think people constantly saying Labour is actually poo poo is going to drive up Labour's vote. I don't mean people here on this forum. But people in the public eye and associated with the Labour leader like Ken Loach or Shami Chakrabarti should say more about the benefits Labour bought in the past instead of just how bad the party was, while acknowledging mistakes too. If you're simply going to say that your MPs are bad and your councillors are bad and what you did last time you were in power was bad then you're asking people to put a huge amount of faith in the idea that the party has transformed into something cool and groovy since Mr Corbyn took over, especially as the MPs and councillors are still there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm not really sure that there's much value in such hyperbolic generalisations though. Some English people might be OK with it but it's an oversimplification. Hell, at this point I'd consider taking naked authoritarianism if it lead to an increased standard of living for the poorest, general economic egalitarianism and an end to knee-jerk xenophobia, and I'm more on the libertarian left.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love brexit articles on the bbc website when they're open to comments. They go loving ballistic.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/836983300916936705

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the bright side of Corbyn's decisionmaking of late is that the Labour right is, not really of its own choice, finding itself backed into a factional theme of enforced cosmopolitanism. they can't be more Brexit than Corbyn so they can only double down on squeezing him out from the liberal urban educated bloc.

the Tories will screw up eventually - coalitions that appear to form permanent majorities are unstable, because they're apparently-permanent majorities that therefore make it very rewarding to fight intraparty battles. it's a Good Thing if Labour does not, in the meanwhile, degenerate into a party of paranoid, conspiratorial populism

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

EU nationals amendment passes 358-256.

e: Euratom amendment up for debate now. Yesterday, MPs were warned that leaving Euratom would cause an energy crisis.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 1, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pochoclo posted:

I don't think it's going to be Mad Max, I'm thinking more banana republic but without bananas and with shittier weather.

Turnip republic

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TinTower posted:

EU nationals amendment passes 358-256.

e: Euratom amendment up for debate now. Yesterday, MPs were warned that leaving Euratom would cause an energy crisis.

Finally some loving hope, no matter how small and fragile

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That feel when Labour voters quietly mumble thanks to the unelected ermine fringed upper house

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hopefully nothing dramatically stupid happens in the Labour camp and they can make a dramatic and popular fight to keep that in the bill.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

A semi at 69 Cock Lane has gone up for sale

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn will three line whip against it somehow.

The amendment that is it the rude house.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

That feel when Labour voters quietly mumble thanks to the unelected ermine fringed upper house

Second largest Lords vote turnout of the modern era too, according to this

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/LIF-2017-0014

This puts May's "Article 50 by the end of March" timetable in doubt, unless the Government accepts the amendment.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn will three line whip against it somehow.

The amendment that is it the rude house.

Go home Pissflaps, you're drunk.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The vote breakdown is quite interesting:

quote:

Breakdown of the vote

The House of Lords has just published the breakdown showing how peers voted.

For the amendment

Labour: 165

Lib Dems: 93

Crossbenchers: 78

Others: 13

Conservatives: 7 (Lady Altmann, Lord Bowness, Lord Cormack, Viscount Hailsham, Lord Livingston of Parkhead, Earl Selborne and Lady Wheatcroft)

Bishops: 2

Against the amendment

Conservatives: 213

Crossbenchers: 30

Others: 10

Bishops: 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What about the Swiss and Norwegians though.

WHAT ABOUT US.

• Locked thread