Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Selling PPVs of a live firing of a guy making 8/8 is better when its implied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Do you think they'll try to get Fedor a fight?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's kind of tacky but I don't see the problem really given that it's something the fighters/camps involved already know. & making two 0-2 guys fight each other for a spot is much better than making a 0-2 guy fight some mid level guy and being like well cya bud.

like i know the ufc doesnt have the best record for treating its athletes with any kind of dignity but i want them to move away from that kind of thing, not do more of it. theres always a possibility of losing your spot in any sport but turning that into a public spectacle for the sake a few pennies at the expense of both of the fighters involved, its just humiliating, on a human level.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

like i know the ufc doesnt have the best record for treating its athletes with any kind of dignity but i want them to move away from that kind of thing, not do more of it. theres always a possibility of losing your spot in any sport but turning that into a public spectacle for the sake a few pennies at the expense of both of the fighters involved, its just humiliating, on a human level.

I did the poll and my answers basically say this - use the platform to promote new prospects, not to humiliate old fighters.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

vainman posted:

Do you think they'll try to get Fedor a fight?

They always will.

But hearing the Chael Cast talk about negotiating with Fedor...his people are good at their jobs...(Protecting the Goose.)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

pretty much this

MMA Isn't a real sport, but its overtures towards making itself closer to one are a big part of what made it survive the McCain years and get just vaguely respectable enough to enter the mainstream, taking steps back from that isn't a particularly positive thing ethically or financially

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think Bisping v GSP is a great and interesting matchup. Who cares whose turn it actually was, it's not like the UFC has cared that much about rankings in the past. They're make a fight that lots of people want to see. After Bisping wins maybe Nick Diaz can come back and be his next opponent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Seeing as they're already doing things like giving Lobov high profile fights because he's friends with McGregor, it's not much of a stretch.

To be fair, that's a problem that's going to solve itself because Cub's going to loving kill him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Surely putting the #4 ranked ftw, 24-7, against someone who is 13-12 and should probably be a gatekeeper in a B-League MMA promotion is a really interesting sanctioning question. I guess the answer to that is Texas?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Lobov looked good in his last fight and isn't as bad as people want to believe

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he will get loving crushed by cub but i agree. spending 15 minutes with ryan hall all over you and surviving speaks to something.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The hall fight was so bad that I actually remember it (I don't remember many things) and it doesn't feel right that he's head lining

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

he will get loving crushed by cub but i agree.

more than likely yeah, but i think a lot more highly of him for asking for that fight

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
triple post i don't give a gently caress this is the greatest interview answer of all time http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=rFXithciUEc&p=n#/7;18

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Lobov's better than he used to be, but the reason why people think so little of him is because he used to be very bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I.N.R.I posted:

Agreed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

triple post i don't give a gently caress this is the greatest interview answer of all time http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=rFXithciUEc&p=n#/7;18

Wiping his nose at the end is the best part

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk4jtUqEi6w&t=2050s

lol I'm The New John Wick

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

I would sure hate to have to be the guy who gets cut after being ko'ed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Congratulations to Mark Hunt for winning PSP's Favourite Fighter in 2017 and keeping the streak alive.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[Joe rogan voice] If you wanted to design a fighter to capture the affections of the internet, he would be fat, he would be socially awkward, and he would ignore all decorum. Mark Hunt is that guy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Mark Hunt is racist

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[Joe rogan voice] If you wanted to design a fighter to capture the affections of the internet, he would be fat, he would be socially awkward, and he would ignore all decorum. Mark Hunt is that guy.

Don't forget the insatiable drive to eat fried chicken.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mark Hunt is racist

You're racist

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mark Hunt is racist

Overeem is half white and Mark hunt is 100% non white so hes actually less racist

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I know it's supposed to be JGNT but on Nate all I can see is THC.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

Overeem is half white and Mark hunt is 100% non white so hes actually less racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIQmFk1ok0

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

His hat says HARRYPOTTER

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my opinion on mark hunt and race is that he would probably not win one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After Mark Hunt retires and it becomes the Mark Hunt Emeritus Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favourite Fighter, who will be PSP's next favourite? Mark Godbeer or Marc Diakiese?

Or Randa Markos?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Well there's no shortage of crazy people who win like half-ish of their fights in MMA so just pick whichever one loves video games the most I guess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mighty Mouse is pretty much universally beloved around here.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Julio Cruz posted:

Mighty Mouse is pretty much universally beloved around here.

all 40 of us on this dying forum, the entire "mighty squad"

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CommonShore posted:

After Mark Hunt retires and it becomes the Mark Hunt Emeritus Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favourite Fighter, who will be PSP's next favourite? Mark Godbeer or Marc Diakiese?

Or Randa Markos?

If Lobov wasn't hated so much I think he'd be a shoe in.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rigel posted:

I indicated more interest in the "win and in" idea, where two guys are bought in for just one fight, and the winner gets a contract. Basically TUF without the tournament and reality show.

Even though they unofficially have "lose and out" fights most cards where we pretty much know both guys have to win, it would be depressing to have it publicly announced that the loser will be cut.

Yeah, the "win and in" concept at least focuses on a positive, which I think will sell better. Get two local guys and it could be fun. "Lose and you're out" is obviously a reality in a lot of fights but its distasteful to sell it that way.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
One problem with explicit "lose and you're out" fights is that we/they tend not to want to have a fighter cut if they're part of an exciting FOTN. "Loser leaves" would be more likely to foster tepid bouts.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe a matchup where their families are held hostage and only the winner's are released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Or Randa Markos?

Rory Markham, once he comes back

• Locked thread