Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

209 not 210 this weekend 208 was Holm vs De Randamie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There seems to be some pretty good value on underdogs on the main card. Woodley, Ferguson, Hunt, and Dan Kelly are all dogs in winnable fights.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Are all these guys underdogs? I genuinely think they will all win, PSP Hunto fanboydom aside I think they are all better if not equal odds to their opponents.

Yep, they're all underdogs.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yoel Romero is yelling something about gay Jesus right now.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

At least if GSP wins we get to see GSP/McGregor for the 185lbs title

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If you want to live in California for cheap, you can live in Bakersfield or Fresno, that's basically it. Enjoy your taxes

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Now I kinda wish I had gone to the awards

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Both Woodley and TFerg are +150 right now. I feel like they're both great value

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It's being reported that Khabib received IV fluids in the hospital

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

At one point does it become economically viable to have a backup fighter for PPV headlining bouts and or title fights? At what point is it worth it for the fighter to go through a camp to potentially fight two different fighters and say, get their show money if they don't fight?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Or you could just have one or two guys under contract to be on weight and ready as a backup.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

i wouldn't do that unless i was compensated and fighters now have to pay for fightpass

Right but my original question was:

JaySB posted:

At one point does it become economically viable to have a backup fighter for PPV headlining bouts and or title fights? At what point is it worth it for the fighter to go through a camp to potentially fight two different fighters and say, get their show money if they don't fight?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

It probably makes fiscal sense to have prepared and paid backups for your big matches like your GSPs or Conor McGregor's where they're making like a 3 million dollar purse to show.

Or almost any big title fight where you stand to lose hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was gonna say, I'm certain that the doctor didn't clear Khabib to fight so I don't think it matter what uncle Dana says

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno if he's announced it yet but Jake Ellenberger is fighting Platinum Mike in Nashville in April

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Didn't he just lose to a male model? Cool falling up. Also Jake should kill him.

I *think* it's a win-win for the UFC because I think they get to cut the loser. Obv hoping Jake murders him, we were talking and stylistically it's a great fight for him.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

I would watch the hell out of a sub grappling match between these two. Do it as a superfight at EBI. I would predict Eddie wins by overtime submission.

Eddie would sub Bisping within 5 minutes of regulation.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I understand that Bisping has done a lot of jiu jitsu in his day. But go watch Eddie vs Royler and then tell me you think someone who isn't a legit BJJ world champion has a chance.

Anyways, I'm excited for Vitor vs Eator

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Thompson seems to like to fight with his chin up and basically never moving his head off the center line

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

1st AD posted:

1)eddie's back does not work, he had surgery last year
2)eddie as a result would not be able to take him down
3)bisping would punch him in the face

This has been a discussion about a submission grappling match...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Uncle Dana has a point:
http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-puts-tyron-woodley-in-his-place-over-complaints-about-ufc-promotion/

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nunes is scared, homie:
http://www.mmamania.com/2017/3/7/14843890/ufc-amanda-nunes-no-longer-pursing-featherweight-title-fight-division-belongs-cris-cyborg-mma

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of money, what ended up being the upshot of the Reebok deal?

Dana and the Fertittas got a check for a poo poo load of money and some "legitimacy" to their organization by bringing in a main stream sponsor. The fighters got dick.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

My Willie_Dee level source tells me that Mayweather/McGregror is actually gonna happen.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm starting to think interim titles are actually a valid thing. With the way the UFC is just ignoring rankings to sell fights, having 2 interim champions kinda means you can't not have a title unification bout.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

jesus. all the people who would be good have been on all the interview shows anyway / are well known for being personable and interesting.

some people that may not be foremost in your mind: dustin poirier, bobby green (did he retire?), i don't know if cirkunov can speak english but him, or anyone from russia, joe duffy, aljamain sterling, ray borg, yair rodriguez, rob whittaker.

it just occured to me that i'd like to hear more from rising stars in the divisions - young guys with a lot of potential who want their name out there. maybe also ask if they've got any good stories from their z-league days. local fighting events are often full of crazy poo poo.

It's not fighter centric but I'd like to get a couple on. Definitely plan to get some Z-League and general good stories.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nierbo posted:

UFC April - Sensational performance from the negro

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think "Cockholder" is probably better than "Cockyhold" but what do I know

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There's an obvious correlation between "how much money is involved" and "how many steroids are involved". Also Football is the only sport where I'm kind of cool with steroids because the whole sport and its schedule is insane. Imagine what those guys go through each game, and then do it for 17+ weeks (with a week off at some point).

Arian Foster said that basically everyone is playing with some sort of real injury, doing their best to hide it from the team until the off season so they can get surgery. A lot of what those guys are taking steroids for is to recover from injuries, as well as be freakishly strong and fast.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kensei posted:

Gone, what was it?

It was a pic of a poster for UFC 211

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I don't know if Cody's dad beat him but he throws punches like he did.

Pretty sure his dad was in prison his whole life...So worse or same same?

• Locked thread