Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My favorite is when people whine about weak headliners and blame it on the bogeyman of the week while forgetting that Sean Salmon once fought in a UFC main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I guess the idea is to give drama/significance to fights in the very bottom tier of the UFC. So the 500,000 hardcores who bought fight piss can be emotionally invested in a fight between two guys who used to be good or did something cool on TUF but are now in danger of being cut. Nerds like us might be more likely to watch early prelims to see Artem Lobov vs Maximo Blanco or whatever

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

Yeah its happened before but the sport was a lot smaller back then, its less defensible now when theres a bunch of good exciting guys on long win streaks and they get passed up for gimmick fights

It was pretty slim pickings back then let alone at Heavyweight where a 1 fight win streak was more than good enough to give you a whack at the title

Timing plays a lot into it. No one minded Hendo/Bisping II because there was no clear #1 contender, but it's 100% Yoel's turn right now and they shouldn't be offering it to anyone else. I wouldn't care if GSP fought the Woodley/Wonderboy winner but this is some straight nonsense

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's kind of tacky but I don't see the problem really given that it's something the fighters/camps involved already know. & making two 0-2 guys fight each other for a spot is much better than making a 0-2 guy fight some mid level guy and being like well cya bud.

Seeing as they're already doing things like giving Lobov high profile fights because he's friends with McGregor, it's not much of a stretch.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

GOON PROJECT

someone has lit the willie d signal

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
does anyone remember Edson Barboza's UFC debut versus a guy whose only credential was "10th planet black belt" and how confused and agitated Joe Rogan was throughout?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/edson-barboza-vs-mike-lullo-ufc-123

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 7, 2017

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

Some guys have tried it but never with as deliberate of an approach as Garbrandt, he knew all his setups and was beating him to the punch every time

In fact often Cruz wants his opponent to be on the back foot, they think 'ill just sit back and counter' and then they end up biting on one of his million feints and whiffing. It looks like theyre swinging first but Cruz is in control of the rhythm. Cody was using his footwork to never be in the right place for Cruzs entries so it was clearer that Cruz was trying to lead and kept getting countered

Yeah, what Garbrandt did was way more impressive than just "sit back and counter". He had Cruz 100% down. A guy who just counters against a guy who feints a lot will look like Barão vs Dillishaw, Silva vs Bisping, or Hunt vs Miocic

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The only appropriate retirement fight for Vitor is to give him all the steroids he wants and let him fight Fedor

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cis autodrag posted:

finally, the scientific portion of safta will be redeemed

SAFTA proved inferior as a base for doping to whatever 19 year old Vitor was on

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
the majority of discussion in this forum comes from people not knowing that favorable and unfavorable style matchups are a thing

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

Just out of curiosity, what 'style' would you say would be ideal to beat Kelvin? Or weidman? Or Rory?

If only they had lost fights so we could guess

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i kinda like manuwa bet every time i see his name i think of a sopranos character saying "manure"

every time I see the lhw division I hear a veritable chorus of voices saying "manure"

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Artem Lobov explained that the reason he loses fights all the time is because he has to take fights on short notice because people won't book fights for him in advance because they are scared.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

I will accept this bold claim on faith.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/at-the-drop-of-a-hat-artem-lobov-and-the-merit-of-fighting

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
there's basically no upside to Bisping fighting Romero, and it's not like he's some young hungry champion whose reputation depends on fighting anyone they throw at him. i dunno what he's doing here, since he gets paid the same whether he fights in July or September

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I thought some more dumb thoughts about Stipe vs JDS II.

Stipe is kind of interesting as a wrestleboxer because your classic wrestleboxer (Rashad, Faber, Hendricks) tends to be better at takedowns than top control and emphasize power strikes over volume. Stipe is the exact opposite, his top control is way better than his takedowns and he doesn't hit really hard, though he is really precise and can hit accurately moving backwards. All his TKOs come either from him getting on top of a guy (Del Rosario, Hunt, Overeem) or hitting a perfect counter on a guy that's chasing him (De Fries, Maldonado, Arlovski, Werdum). He comes into every fight with a great game plan and fights with more discipline than just about anyone in the UFC, but his weakness has been a tendency to stick to his game plan even when it's not working. For example, he kept darting in and out against Struve in the one fight where Struve remembered he was 7 feet tall and could throw a jab.

The first time he fought JDS, he came in with the Velasquez strategy, and had decent success at first. The problem came from two things. First, he couldn't really threaten the takedown because he tends to either box or wrestle and doesn't do both at once as effectively as Cain. JDS sort of lost respect for his wrestling and managed to circle out every time Stipe backed him into the fence. Secondly, he kept trying to land the hook like Hunt and Overeem did every time JDS circled away from the fence with his hands down. He landed pretty much every time, but JDS has such a hard head that it didn't really stop him. JDS managed to pull away by landing to the body enough to slow Stipe down.

I don't think JDS has evolved at all from the last time they fought and he still backs straight into the fence when pressured and circles out with his hands down. The question is if Stipe's game plan is going to be able to capitalize on that. JDS is really tough, hits hard from the outside (Stipe's biggest weakness), and is basically impossible to take down. I'm not smart enough to make specific grappling or striking recommendations, but Stipe needs to either be able to bully JDS against the fence like Cain did or have some way of countering the jab to the body or the uppercut/overhand that JDS uses a lot. If Stipe can get JDS down, he can get a TKO, but he can't count on getting a takedown.

The books have Stipe as a -175 favorite, which is about how I place the fight. We know JDS is tough to beat and probably the worst matchup in the division for Stipe, but I believe in Stipe's ability to change up more than I do JDS.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

For Bisping, maybe

I am brimming with anticipation of the months of whining we'll get after Romero knocks him out after cheating shamelessly

e: both of them cheating shamelessly

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

Well I personally am brimming with anticipation of the middleweight title looking like an actual championship again instead of Bisping fighting grandfathers and retired welterweights, but I suspect I'm being less ironic than you in this case.

I am completely unironic with my love of all the ridiculous drama that surrounds this sport. but yes, Romero as champion fighting actual middleweights is much more appealing than the alternative

• Locked thread