Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
If I was yoel / Jacare I wouldn't give a poo poo. If GSP wins I get to fight a welterweight for stupid cash. If Bisping wins I still get to fight Bisping whose stock has sky-rocketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

I cant even wrap my head around what that means. If two guys on losing streaks fight, the loser gets cut sounds like every time two guys on losing streaks fight

This. They already do it unless you are a ridiculous fan favourite. The only difference is they want to make money by marketing their desperation lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Timing plays a lot into it. No one minded Hendo/Bisping II because there was no clear #1 contender, but it's 100% Yoel's turn right now and they shouldn't be offering it to anyone else. I wouldn't care if GSP fought the Woodley/Wonderboy winner but this is some straight nonsense

Yoel lost to Jacare and cheated with corner shenanigans in two of his last 4 fights. Also, he's on steroids. gently caress him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Lobov looked good in his last fight and isn't as bad as people want to believe

he will get loving crushed by cub but i agree. spending 15 minutes with ryan hall all over you and surviving speaks to something.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

maia is still being punished for the silva fight.

also rashad does an outstanding tyson impression. man the phil davis fight was so cathartic. phil getting epicly denied 2 title shots in drastically different and humiliating ways are really good memories and i can thank rashad for one of them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what sadist made ngannou vs struve lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

phew. good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i really want dan kelly to just dig in and out-grit rashad like he's done to younger fighters but the reality is he's going to get insanely knocked out and i am explicitly not looking forward to it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't know at what point you sit back and just think to yourself 'i made it' but i'm pretty sure the diaz's just got there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Forceholy posted:

I remember seeing him get knocked out by Mac Danzig in a hookah lounge next to the gym he used to own.

Pretty sick w by Danzig's standards

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

michael bisping's personality will force him to argue with eddie bravo about whatever until time stops.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

A match made in idiot heaven

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I think khabib is going to have trouble getting TFERG down, and even more trouble keeping him there and Tony is gonna gently caress him up, imo.

same, lord waffle beard.

either way this is one of the best and most intriguing match ups made in mma history on paper and this will hopefully hold true after the fight too.

i don't give a gently caress about the main event but i am legitimately extremely excited for tferg / khabib.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

But whenever I think of Ferguson I always remember the guy who barely got by Danny Castillo and not the guy who schooled Rafael Dos Anjos.

*watches khabib struggle to control gleison tibau*

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think there's a Lightweight on earth who Khabib will have trouble getting down.

He exists and goes by the name gleison tibau

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Legit devastated. And gently caress a Johnson fight when Lando is right there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

so now we've got a cool mark hunt fight, two squash matches, and a fight i've already seen before.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

Tony Ferguson said he turned down replacement offers because they would not be fighting for the interim title, and it would be for less money.

i get it. good. as far as i'm concerned make tony the default interim champion and have dodson be his first defense or whatever. i want to see who cares about the sanctity of the interim belt.

also lmao and gsp / bisping

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

At one point does it become economically viable to have a backup fighter for PPV headlining bouts and or title fights? At what point is it worth it for the fighter to go through a camp to potentially fight two different fighters and say, get their show money if they don't fight?

seriously. just see if there's anyone in the top ten who will be prepared to cut weight for 5k or whatever and if needed gets a nice little bonus win or lose.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

Why would Tony take a fight that isn't the title fight he was booked for, for vastly less money, and just as much risk of getting injured or a medical suspension?

Tony was polite in his tweet to Khabib but if someone couldn't handle their poo poo and just cost my family on the order of a million dollars I'd be loving steamed.

i was discussing having a replacement, who is also a contender, who is also able to step in and keep the title fight alive.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

Wait, John Dodson? The small-ish bantamweight? I guess he probably walks around at 155?

get frank edgar on the phone.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. The thing with that is that if you set a precedent for having a back up for title fights, you're incentivising the rest of the top ten to be on weight every title fight in case of a drop out. And with the UFC treating fighters like they do, they wouldn't bother paying anyone for it and just rely on the fighters to do it themselves, endangering their health every time for probably nothing.

true, but it's happening so often nowadays if i was a top 10 fighter who doesn't really deserve a shot i'd be on weight every title fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

Or you could just have one or two guys under contract to be on weight and ready as a backup.

i wouldn't do that unless i was compensated and fighters now have to pay for fightpass

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think more effort would have been made to salvage the interim LW fight if it was headlining the card, like Joe Soto getting a title shot.

the joe soto thing was during that year where like 3 cards made it out in tact. they were used to it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Dana's claiming that if Khabib's team had called the UFC before going to the hospital, he probably still could have fought, and Islam Machkaev is saying Khabib's okay now.

lol.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

pre traumatic stress disirder

the light in this dark place

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bisping telling gsp that the only reason they're fighting is because gsp thinks he's an easy fight and that he didn't want anything to do with Anderson when he was the man was uncomfortably real and cool as gently caress.

I hope Bisping takes that chip on his shoulder and beats gsp, then yoel or whoever, and retires with one of the most remarkable careers and collection of scalps the sport has ever seen.

Bisping owns is what I'm trying to say.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

What, like a page from his biography? Including the Table of Contents?

hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hey... if 2 guys draw because nothing happens in 5 rounds maybe that isnt the fight to make an instant rematch for except now as the main event.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

how the gently caress do you give round 2 to woodley, lol.

Neither fighter did much in rounds 1 or 2, but it looked like a do-nothing round where Thompson had octagon control

maybe of the two punches thrown woodley's looked like it hit harder? why does anyone care?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

Striking and grappling, FOLLOWED BY aggression and octagon control.... IN...THAT....ORDER...

There was no striking or grappling worth talking about. To the extent that we needed to judge this thing that was a fight, Thompson obviously has octagon control.

i did the cool runnings clap progression as i read this. just kidding i don't care but i see that you do and bow to your superior will.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

and Woodley lost to Jake Shields

and Nate Marquardt

it's cool that woodley is no better or worse than when these things happened and he's champion of the world.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

We went from Robbie Lawler winning fight of the year three years in a row in UFC welterweight title fights

To that

the universe is righting itself

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

vainman posted:

Also, lol at the guy who said Hunt has a shot chin. That knee was insane and Hunt leaned into it

who da fook said that? overeem's knees are some of the hardest strikes thrown in human history and that is pretty much consensus fact

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

I did based on hes been knocked out in 3 of his last six fights, and said it was shot by Hunt standards. He can still take shots but they can put him down and have been with more regularity. Hes not Chuck or Pitbull shot, but he cant take it on the chin like he used to and that is very bad for his style.

i think that's extremely diengenuous. he ducked directly into a rising knee from werdum and was still fully conscious, he was still fully conscious in the stipe fight for about 20 minutes longer than any human should have to be, and the jds ko was the equivalent of wide arc swinging a baseball bat.

the overeem knee was two knees from overeem.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sadly, this fight set race relations between tyron woodley and the entire rest of the world back about a hundred years

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as someone who doesn't like tyron woodley as a person or a fighter at all i can say that y'all's hate of him to the point of blind irrationality is genuinely impressive

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

chaleski posted:

Well Woodley could easily double him across the cage I'm sure, but if he let's Conor control his movement (which is very likely imo) and play patty-cake against the cage he'll get lit up.

or, alternatively, the guy who has been hit hard and clean by every single person he's ever fought including the guy he knocked out in 13 seconds would take at least one punch to the face that has turned the lights out for robbie lawler, who had a fight with melvin manhoef you may have seen.

and you're saying 'he'd get lit up' about a guy who just proved that if a long stance guy kicks low at him he'll catch it, dump you and attempt to end your life with some significant power if he doesn't just power double the guy who got wrestled by nate diaz straight away and effortlessly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if those two people fought a hundred times they'd each win 40 split decisions and would share 10 draws and the only way you'd be able to tell the fights apart would be the sponsors on the mat and maybe the type and quantity of trash in the cage (additional to the 340lbs that has to be in there). it was the most unnecessary rematch i've ever seen in my life except for maybe jacare / camozzi and at least that was an emergency replacement.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I finally watched Gastelum murder Tim Kennedy. That was incredibly satisfying. :allears:

Good loving fight too. I'll miss Tim. Such a good guy to root against. Hopefully his social media continues to be entertaining.

If gastellum gets past vitor, will Dana let him back to ww? Would he even go back being so close to the top at mw? He's such an amazing fighter. I can't hate that fat idiot.

• Locked thread