Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Theres no way even if he wins gsp fights a monster like romero right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

gently caress this earth

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I heard the fight was bad

Think of Mir v Crocop in terms of level of engagement. Except worse.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The thing i like most about Overeem is you watch him fight half the time and he gets merked by some semi decent fighter who just wades forward and throws heavy, then his next performance someone will try it and he'll remember he has talent and merk them on the counter.

Dudes a coin flip and it owns.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Also Brandon Vera is totally going to be back in the UFC in like the next year and that's hilarious

Arlovski was a joke for a while too, then he came back and merked 4 people in a row.

Vera has always been weird but it wouldn't shock me to see him become competitive.

Didn't realise Rothwell got caught juicing in 13.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Break falls own for not eating poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kelvin owns and him punching silva would owns.

I hope he gets the Silva fight, merks him and forces his way to the front of the line at either ww or mw because that would be cool.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Belfort landed some good shots against Kelvin and it didn't affect him, one of his strengths is his chin.

I'm sure Kelvin grew up admiring Belfort as well, we saw how that worked out.

I think belfort landed some, but didn't land any clean or flush, maybe one. Kelvin has very underrated head movement and enters and different angles.

He was getting clipped but always as he was moving.

Anderson is extremely accurate but Bisping did show he has a legitimate weakness against someone who'll pressure and throw volume.

I like this fight a lot. If silva gets stopped by Kelvin it'll be hard to argue against him getting an eliminator against Jacare or Romero while Bisping Gsp plays out imo.

Whether or not some guys are over the hill being on a streak that includes

Hendricks
Kennedy
Belfort
Silva

Is pretty tidy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silva's accuracy is still scary good but he has several things going against him as a result of his age and mileage.

First Bisping showed his reactions and ability to slip and rip are slowly going. Bisping was able to catch him moving away through his handspeed and high pace something kelvin will be able to do.

Second his chin is not the unmoveable object it once was where he could mock Ryan Bader and let him tee off like he did on TUF. So he isnt up to eating two or three shots clapping his hands and waving you in blindly into a frustrated counter.

Kelvin doesn't blindly charge diego style hands down either and he doesnt wade in on the centre line with minimal head movement like the forest griffin and okamis of the world.

Kelvin is very good at switching angles and triangle stepping out of exchanges. Hes more like TJ dillashaw with less extra motion than you might think.

Silva is still a really good fighter and itll be interesting to see how kelvin does with the kicks and clinch game because its a tough out for anyone but its a winnable fight for kelvin.

I've never been a fan of "if fighter can catch him its over" because that pretty much goes for any fight in any divison.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

When he was champ, Michael Bisping was the guy getting flattened by all those deeply flawed contenders, and time has not made a half blind 38 year old man with no boxing defence a stud. As evidence, he still managed to get cracked by the same guy who once flattened many moons ago, twice. Turns out that guy hits a bit less hard at 47 than he did at 38.

Daniel Cormier is a better fighter than anyone he faced, but he's also not a Middleweight.

Weidman is the one guy who fits your pattern, but you used the plural.

Mp just pointed out how styles make fights and its not unfair to say that luke rockhold, weidman, romero, jacare and kelvin are better fighters than the patrick cotes and chris lebens of the world.

MP's styles makes fights argument makes a lot of sense.

Silva does well against people who lead and are bullish but not against guys like Bisping or Chael who will make you miss on their entry.

Even vitor got some clean ones in before he made the mistake of disengaging to try and find an opening to blitz.

Watch what weidman did to silva. Walked him down, changed angles off his jab and clinched or shot when he got into trouble and used the threat of one to increase the success of the other.

Gastellum does all of that with greater speed and a deeper gas tank.

Also gently caress off vainman saying people who talk about angles read jack slack and think it applies. Gastellum does angle in and out and i know he does because ive watched combat sports for the better part of ten years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Kelvin is a little over a year removed from losing a fight to Neil Magny, a fight in which he had a lot of trouble early with Magny's size and reach. Since then he's beaten Hendricks, who was coming off of a brutal KO loss and hard poops, Tim Kennedy, also coming off of a brutal KO loss and being old as poo poo and not fighting for three years, and Vitor, coming off of, well, nothing good for a long time.

It's very possible that none of those guys will be in the UFC anymore by year end. Gastelum is a very good welterweight, but he's way too small for middleweight and I'm not so sure Anderson won't be the guy to make that obvious.

That was when he was fighting at 170 and really struggling to make weight and it was before he moved to Kings and started training full time with cordeiro.

He has markedly improved since then. In fact he's looked better in every fight at 185.

No one expected him to beat Kennedy in the gdt and he loving dismantled him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

only one guy said he moves like dillashaw and it was insane

Its actually not because hes cleaned up that hitch since he fought woodley 2 years ago.

He doesnt come in on that cente line any more. His stance changes change the angles he can be effective from just like dillashaw. He'll come in and switch as his opponent tries to circle and cuts off really effectively.

He'll also keep his hands low on the outside inviting someone in and will use the same triangle step to move into their blind angle when avoiding shots setting up some power.

He doesnt throw as many kicks but his entry and exits from exchanges are very similar.

He had rashad syndrome early where he would bob and weave except in the pocket or when throwing strikes and hes managed to overcome that.

Funnily enough theyre the same issues dillashaw had before ludwig came along.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

chaleski posted:

They could buy Bellator tomorrow and bring any of the half-decent LHWs into the UFC and it would still be an absolute garbage fire and the worst division easily

e I forgot there's a W145 now, so second worst

Im kind of surprised the iv and usada testing didnt push a couple of middle weights up to light heavy.

I think that would be the best move for weidman at this point because hes looked a little slow and gassy at mw since the ban came in.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Weidman was always a top prospect and my pick for a while to dethrone anderson, fatherdog used to cite his injury history as something that could potentially derail a long career.

I dont think anyone expected Romero and Jacare to improve deep into their 30s let alone rockhold to improve dramatically until he got bispinged.

MW is a cool division and weidman is still good in it. His fight with Machida is an all time great and i think he'll handle mousasi pretty handily tbh.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rockhold is asking to fight werdum and go up to heavy weight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They are the same height and reach, maybe spending so much time with DC and Cain has him thinking he won't be physically disadvantaged. I can't recall him being bullied by anyone, but agreed, his frame doesn't lend itself well to an extra 40 pounds or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Will he autograph my bong shaped like a gas station dick pill?

• Locked thread