Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Longo and Crosby have a public grudge over movie stunt work and Crosby has a habit of giving bad scorecards to Serra-Longo fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shame. The Romero fight is legit interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/837006200134721538

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

At least there is that. Wonder who played good cop.

My theory is that Joe Silva is living in a basement somewhere, phoning Dana and Sean Shelby whenever something is dumb. In other words, he's still getting to play IRL fantasy MMA, but now that he doesn't get paid, he just makes other people do the hard work while he eats cheetos and watches the fights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Isn't that what he's saying? Absent of any miracle that would let either one of them will themselves into the title fight that GSP just got ASAP means "after GSP". He's just saying that GSP skipping the line isn't the worst thing that could happen to either of them. At this point anyway.

No he's saying that they should be pissed because who knows what will happen in the division next. GSP could win and retire, and Bisping could be out with an eye injury, and then the vacant title will go to the winner of Kurt Angle and two bonobos standing on each other's shoulders in a trenchcoat, because that would get more buys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

like i know the ufc doesnt have the best record for treating its athletes with any kind of dignity but i want them to move away from that kind of thing, not do more of it. theres always a possibility of losing your spot in any sport but turning that into a public spectacle for the sake a few pennies at the expense of both of the fighters involved, its just humiliating, on a human level.

I did the poll and my answers basically say this - use the platform to promote new prospects, not to humiliate old fighters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After Mark Hunt retires and it becomes the Mark Hunt Emeritus Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favourite Fighter, who will be PSP's next favourite? Mark Godbeer or Marc Diakiese?

Or Randa Markos?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:tbear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

God.

loving.

Damnit.

:suicide:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Burt Watson's departure is the confounding factor in this analysis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ty1990 posted:

Lmao what

tl;dr he didn't like that Lowtax gave a safe space to Nazis.

In other news, Robin Black has sliced in twain this controversy's Gordian knot:

https://twitter.com/robinblackmma/status/837772244050857986

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Evans vs Kelly is 2017's version of Werdum vs Russow.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

Okay lets hear this one

Dad bod fighter on a streak taking a gigantic leap up in quality of opposition.

Also gently caress you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Forceholy posted:

Nah, Silva/Leites was way worse.

Bottom 3 modern UFC championship fights are probably that, Silva-Leites, and Sylvia-Monson.

Though Militech-Burnett was pretty bad, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

lol

I'd listen to that

The Hammer wouldn't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:staredog: Is there a story about Matt Hamill that I haven't heard?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rory went for a few Imanari rolls. That was cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've met several people who study JJJ and they're universally goobers, with the exception of my Chinese friend from Judo who is like "yeah, in JJJ we get side control and then we crush your testicles with a twisting motion. Works really well, but not good for tournament."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In essence you should be interviewing the fighters who are cool and good and who deserve better fights and to get paid more, not the fighters who have tons of exposure and who everyone already knows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually, he has the same UFC record as Weidman - 9-2.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

you can't read

I wasn't contradicting him; I added an additional fact which I found interesting when I looked up the records.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anderson Silva was not Always Bad.

Bisping would have always been a tough matchup for Silva, not because Bisping has been underrated or is super good or because he wasn't hittable, but because styles make fights, and Bisping's generally conservative outside kickboxing volume game is a strong counter to Silva's feint-heavy counter game. Likewise, Bisping's worst losses have been to guys who are able to come forward and overwhelm his defenses or apply relentless pressure. Anderson Silva was never that fighter.

Also Anderson Silva lost to a guy whose next best win was Emmanuel Yarborough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DeimosRising posted:

There are no statistical grounds for predicting the outcome of a (truly random) dice roll, ever. Each side is equally likely and no prediction can be made more accurate than random chance.

No no no you got it all wrong. Once you roll the die, the same number is less likely to come up. So if I roll a 4, because doubles only have a 1 in 36 chance I know that there's only a 1 in 36 chance of getting another 4. Other numbers are more due.

Just like with slot machines. Especially the computerized video ones.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

That is the opposite of true. If you rolled a sufficiently high numbe of times you would expect an approximately even distribution of results. If you rolled a 4 five times in a row, the odds of rolling another 4 is 1/6. The rolls are independent, and previous results don't give you any more predictive power.

This discussion is extremely tagential and was brought up simply to illustrate that some fool didn't understand prob & stats (don't remember which fool), but instead it seems to be illustrating that many fools don't understand many things

:thejoke:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

Maybe I have you confused, but I thought you were the real judo footlock guy so I just erred on assuming you were a cretin. My apologies

I'm a judo guy but I never remember posting anything about judo footlocks other than a two-sentence explanation of how they came to be banned like 140 years ago.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

There was a judo guy who posted about how bending the toes was the most devastating move in history. I must have confused you with him. Apologies

I will own that I badpost sometimes, particularly in the too-speculative flight-of-fancy way, but not that kind of bad.

Namaste.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are fights tonight?

I'm trying to figure out at what time they start.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Fight pass prelims start at 1:30 PM ET, who knows what that is in whatever godless, blasted heathen hellscape you may or may not live in

Fight pass main card starts at 5:00 PM ET

try this: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/

thanks much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Work Friend Keven posted:

Who the gently caress is corey overtime anderson

Beastin' at time and a half.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

reeg posted:

yeah, one of his 19 fights went to decision. very unbecoming of a KO artist

His first three or so UFC fights all ended with TKO (Freaky Injury)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

reeg posted:

breaking people's legs still feels like effective striking to me

Perhaps, but corner stoppages are anti-climactic endings.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What were these offending comments that have Rockhold willing to get himself killed?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

'car park'? You're aussie?

Don't kinkshame.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm tired of watching hunt lose!! Kick his rear end mark!! I just watched Teymur/Vannata and now I would like to see Teymur fight Yair, and then maybe the winner could fight barboza.

Yair is in a lower weight class

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Queering Wheel posted:

https://streamable.com/yt9wa

Cain/Werdum was so much fun to watch. My favorite gassy heavyweight fight next to Krylov/Palelei

I should rewatch it. It's in a bad spot in my memory because watching live I was worried that Cain was going to literally die - his head was bobbling around so much and he was starting to do the drunken cross step.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

I have a question posed by my Pops that I couldn't answer. What is the difference between USADA regulations (fighting, fencing, boxing, Olympics) and the testing that applies to major pro American sports (Football, basketball, baseball) ?

Bluedeanie posted:

It exists, is well funded and is taken relatively seriously by the people in charge of executing it and enforcing it.

To expand on Bluedeanie's point, in major pro American sports they basically hand you a calendar with "bring us a cup of pee" written on it in 16-week intervals. In other words, it's not real testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

eric posted:

he must hate money

Or he's trying to find a back door out of the general :colbert: which greeted the announcement of the GSP fight.

Really, the Romero fight is the fight that Bisping should be taking. Hype money aside, if GSP wants a fight at middleweight it should be against Silva, Hendricks, Jacare, or Rockhold.

• Locked thread