Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Commentary for 209 will be Anik, Rogan, and Dominick Cruz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

threeagainstfour posted:

Anyone get the fight pass survey?

One of the potential ideas they are asking if we would find interesting.

"“Lose and You’re Out” match-ups among fighters that are in the UFC, but with multiple consecutive losses; the winner keeps his/her UFC contract but the loser is cut from the UFC"

I indicated more interest in the "win and in" idea, where two guys are bought in for just one fight, and the winner gets a contract. Basically TUF without the tournament and reality show.

Even though they unofficially have "lose and out" fights most cards where we pretty much know both guys have to win, it would be depressing to have it publicly announced that the loser will be cut.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vengarr posted:

"True or False: a UFC Royal Rumble would be hella cool and good"

I had to look it up. False, the Royal Rumble seems dumber than hell.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its unlikely, but I think the comedy scenario saturday night would be another majority draw, this time with the dissenting judge scoring for Wonderboy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/3/14797810/demetrious-johnson-campaigns-to-tie-history-on-fox-in-april

Mighty Mouse is dropping some hints that he might be the headliner for UFC on FOX in Kansas City

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's going to take more than hints to convince me that mm is fighting on a free fox card... that makes no sense. He's the champ, why isn't he making the big ppv bucks? Can someone explain this to me

About half his fights as champion are on free TV. He's probably on the UFC's informal list of "can get ratings and can co-main a PPV, but can't sell a PPV" fighters. The Diaz brothers were on that list too until they realized it was probably bullshit. The UFC is also obligated under their FOX contract to deliver a certain number every year in ratings, so if Mighty Mouse is somehow on board with headlining a FOX card, the UFC would like to do it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

loving hell. If they have to rehydrate him, he'll miss weight. Even if he makes the walk, he wouldn't be able to fight for the interim belt.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Oh Jesus god no not the interim belt

The point is to set up a fight with Conor. Thats why this interim belt matters.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Helwani is reporting from 1 source that the reason Khabib went to the hospital is not related to his weight cut.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Khabib is still at the hospital

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Overeem just woke up, and weighed in at 256.

3 left to weigh in, Khabib and 2 fighters on the fightpass prelim.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

25 minutes left...

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Everyone has now weighed in except Khabib. 17 minutes left

edit: I guess Alcantara hasn't weighed in yet

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

10 minutes. If Khabib isn't in or near the building right now, he won't make it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Alcantara made weight. Just Khabib left, 5 minutes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Helwani has a source saying the fight is off.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nurmagomedov was released from the hospital, but the UFC's doctors told the UFC to cancel the fight.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well, Khabib can probably forget about any dreams of a money fight with Conor now. McGregor was skeptical about a fight with Khabib because he wasn't sure he would show up to fight, and this doesn't help.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm still buying this PPV, but this is why you never, ever preorder a UFC PPV until the afternoon on fight day. Wait as long as possible, you never know what will come up. Hell, Woodley could wake up violently ill tomorrow morning, and you'd be kicking yourself if you already bought it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bisping showed up to the press conference 30 minutes late and completely blasted, yelling poo poo at GSP.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/837793949519486977

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/837797619459973120

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maia says that the UFC told him he would not get a title shot if he didn't stay active.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tony Ferguson said he turned down replacement offers because they would not be fighting for the interim title, and it would be for less money.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC has announced a long-term deal with T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The UFC is now an anchor tenant of the arena, and no UFC bouts can be held in Vegas outside of that arena. The UFC will also have priority scheduling, meaning other events and shows would have to verify that the UFC doesn't want the arena for that date. In exchange for this, the UFC agreed to a minimum of 4 events a year at the arena, but they'll probably have a lot more events there annually than just 4.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. I may be in the minority, but I'd really kind rather see guys fighting closer to their walking around weight anyway.

There really isn't a good way to enforce that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, that strawweight fight on fightpass has been elevated all the way to PPV.

https://twitter.com/ABCnation115/status/837805207199219712

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana White said that Khabib's team probably could have saved the fight, but they hosed up.

quote:

“Basically, his team had decided to take him to just some random hospital here in Las Vegas instead of picking up the phone and calling our doctor and calling Brianna [Mattison], who runs all the medicals,” White said. “They went rogue and went out and did their own thing. Had they done this thing the right way, the fight probably could have been saved.”

Reading between the lines, I assume the doctors at the hospital saw a dehydrated patient, gave him IV's, and when he was trying to get out to weigh in, the doctors who know nothing about fighters told the UFC he can't fight. At that point, its a liability issue and they had to pull him.

The UFC doctors, who have experience with fighters cutting weight, probably would have monitored him closely and got him to the scale.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 4, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana said that when Khabib's team called him to say they were on their way to the hospital, he knew the fight was over because he knew what the hospital doctors would probably do, so he just went back to bed.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

UFC 209 featured the worst championship fight I ever saw live on my TV

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Forceholy posted:

Nah, Silva/Leites was way worse.

I did not see that fight live

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The only thing that went right for Dana this weekend was that Hunt lost and Overeem is back in the HW picture.

Aside from that, LW is a loving trainwreck, and Woodley is still a boring unsellable poo poo of a champion.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

*Media room after UFC 209, room only contains impatient media who have been waiting for over an hour*

*Door opens, Dana White walks to the podium, looks at his feet, looks up at the media, picks up the mic, looks down again, and sighs*

"gently caress me". (pause) "OK, who has the first question?"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oh interesting. They are getting this poo poo over with quickly, the 209 presser already started.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

how the gently caress do you give round 2 to woodley, lol.

Neither fighter did much in rounds 1 or 2, but it looked like a do-nothing round where Thompson had octagon control

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

maybe of the two punches thrown woodley's looked like it hit harder? why does anyone care?

Striking and grappling, FOLLOWED BY aggression and octagon control.... IN...THAT....ORDER...

There was no striking or grappling worth talking about in the first 2 rounds. To the extent that we needed to judge this thing that was a fight, Thompson obviously has octagon control.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Detroit_Dogg posted:

How bad was the title fight

I've been closely following MMA for about 4.5 years. It was by far the worst title fight I've ever seen, and one of the 10 worst fights of any kind that I've ever seen. Grizzled veterans who have been following the sport longer have said there have been worse title fights but its probably one of the 5 worst title fights in the history of the sport.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

edit: wrong thread

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cis autodrag posted:

i fell asleep during woodley wonderboy. should i bother to rewatch it? sure doesn't seem like it from the last couple of pages.

That fight wasn't even novelty-bad, where so little is being done and the crowd is booing so loudly that it becomes funny, nope they just barely did enough to make it a terrible, unwatchable debacle.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

edit: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tony Ferguson is angry because he thought he was going to get his show money (250k), but he got "less than half". (UFC rep said under condition of anonymity that he was paid "6 figures" and they told him several times and his agent several times what he'd get if he decided not to take a replacement fight and just weigh in.) So, somewhere between 100k and 125k. They also said that was more than the show money would have been for his standard contract, so they believe they were generous.

The UFC often voluntarily chooses to pay fighters their show money when an opponent drops out at the last minute, but this was a special one-time deal based on an interim title fight taking place, and the UFC says they do not have to pay fighters anything at all if a bout doesn't happen.

• Locked thread