Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

like i know the ufc doesnt have the best record for treating its athletes with any kind of dignity but i want them to move away from that kind of thing, not do more of it. theres always a possibility of losing your spot in any sport but turning that into a public spectacle for the sake a few pennies at the expense of both of the fighters involved, its just humiliating, on a human level.

pretty much this

MMA Isn't a real sport, but its overtures towards making itself closer to one are a big part of what made it survive the McCain years and get just vaguely respectable enough to enter the mainstream, taking steps back from that isn't a particularly positive thing ethically or financially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I was kinda hoping to watch 209 but had other stuff on, sounds like I didn't miss much sadly. Any of the fights worth a look?

Skip Tybura/Henrique, skip Woodley/Thompson, maybe watch Rashad/Kelly at 1.5x speed, and watch Godbeer/Spitz but take like four shots of something alcoholic first.

Everything else is great.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Tybure/Henrique wasn't bad for a heavyweight fight.

It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't say it was good, hence if you're going for card highlights I wouldn't include it.

Hunt's chin is by no means shot but I do kinda hope he considers retirement anyway 'cause getting knocked out by giants when you're 42 is bad for your brain and he needs to focus on his fulltime career of suing the UFC.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Tyron Woodley gave an interview about how he is disappointed in himself and wasn't countering and pressing when he needed to and needs to do more in the future. Stephen Thompson gave an interview about how he could have maybe been more aggressive but he picked Woodley apart, controlled the octagon the whole fight and is pleased with his performance and judges are crazy.

Stephen Thompson is the worst and I hope Neil Magny destroys him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

Good loving fight too. I'll miss Tim. Such a good guy to root against. Hopefully his social media continues to be entertaining.

The real biggest upset of 2017 thus far is Tim Kennedy inexplicably tweeting in favor of trans inclusion in the Boy Scouts and yelling at his followers for being bad Christians for disagreeing.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

while I like Nick Diaz for many Nick Diaz-related reasons, to be the best example of a professional fighter one must fight professionally

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, of the people at the infamous press conference:
  • GSP used it to get a better deal for himself, and is rich enough to not need union protection anyway
  • Cerrone legitimately had no idea what he was doing and never spoke of it again
  • Kennedy fought one more time and immediately retired, somewhat taking his leverage out of play
  • Cain's entire body broke again
  • Dillashaw hasn't spoken about the union since but if you want to ask him about it you can find him starring on the new exciting season of The UFC's The Ultimate Fighter 25 Only On FS1
  • Rebney's presence was so toxic Tim loving Kennedy apologized for it
union ain't gonna get nowhere.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/840041605859954688

Can someone tell me how robust the library is and what the commentary situation is like. Thank you.

only the GP finals for 01 and 05-10, the earlier ones are Japanese and the later ones are Schiavello And The Gang

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Agreed. That final flurry was amazing.

My favorite thing about Shogun was always how when he has someone on the ropes he throws all his finishing strikes at different angles so they can't just shell up and wait. Most dudes just kind of wing 1-2s and hooks Baroni-style.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'd just like to suggest we all take a moment of silent reflection to think about the very long, often terse argument fatherdog would have had with one of us about BJ Penn vs Dennis Siver

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rockhold's thing would normally be a single MMAjunkie headline that gets swept under in favor of Bellator Books Royce Gracie vs Bas Rutten or something, but it's just slightly more plausible than it used to be because the recent WME-IMG management choices make dumb poo poo like that more acceptable than they used to be, particularly if you're a top-ranked middleweight who knows no one's getting a title shot for another year and a half.

also BJ's probably gonna beat Siver and this cycle will start all over

• Locked thread