Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Julio Cruz posted:

Mighty Mouse is pretty much universally beloved around here.

all 40 of us on this dying forum, the entire "mighty squad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I think khabib is going to have trouble getting TFERG down, and even more trouble keeping him there and Tony is gonna gently caress him up, imo.

I've watched every Tony Ferguson UFC fight and have been a fan & believer since he broke Aaron Riley's jaw. But whenever I think of Ferguson I always remember the guy who barely got by Danny Castillo and not the guy who schooled Rafael Dos Anjos. I hope he beats Khabib but I'm worried his growth has all been a lie. Like he still doesn't really know how to deadlifts properly.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[mike goldberg voice] KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV REMAINS UNDEFEATED!!!

Lol

I sorta always knew not to get too hyped for this fight. It's never gonna happen.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

-Atom- posted:

Khabib has had such a weird career thus far

only sorta though. he's fought 8 guys in 5 years which really isn't that bad. however khabib is from the camp that has so many frequent fight cancellations that it looks bad for everybody.

In my opinion Cain is the only guy who really never actually fights. Rockhold/Khabib/Cormier/Thomson/etc. aren't that bad for pulling out of fights, but together, it looks very bad.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Auron posted:

Average of less than 2 fights a year.

yes, tons of top ranked fighters barely average 2 fights a year. khabib and the rest of AKA (other than Cain) are only a little behind the average. it isn't a big deal.

tony ferguson himself has fought a grand total of 2 more fights than khabib has in that span of time. it barely matters.

that's what poo poo metric I'm using thank you for reading my post

david carmichael posted:

I didn't think khabib cut much weight

same.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

-Atom- posted:

he's pulled out of fights and has been injured for loving ever

he fought in november

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Ever since the early weigh ins were instated there has been roughly 1 million more problems with people missing weight

Yeah. I kinda think fighters should be allowed to opt-in or out of the earlier weigh-ins. Some fighters enjoy waking up near target weight and getting it all over with while some fat guys like Johny Hendricks need the extra couple hours they used to get.

I mean they should try to get rid of weight cutting altogether, but if they won't do that, at least let some fighters have a choice.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I.N.R.I posted:

johnsons like a good striker isnt he? could b fun

Johnson beat Ferguson with his superior striking years ago. That might be a good enough reason for Tony Ferguson to accept the match, but I don't blame him if he declines the offer.

To clarify what Le Saboteur is talking about, apparently this isn't just a fighter calling out Tony on twitter; UFC is involved and trying to get the fight made.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

for the first time I disagree with you on fighter opinions because I like Johny Hendricks quite a lot. especially when he hasn't eaten in 12 hours and is challenging ariel helwani to a cage match

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Eat This Glob posted:

Fairly certain the ufc doesn't have a stopwatch and a guy with a starters pistol signifying when you can start cutting weight. Johny and others could even start losing weight now if they wanted to for their next fight.

yes and no. they could lose weight now and make the actual weight cut easier, of course, but nobody is going to do that because we like seeing the most muscular guys we can punch each other. that's why we spend money on UFC. Nobody wants to see average body johny hendricks step into the octagon.

Athletic commissions & UFC sort of do have a stopwatch and starter pistol when fighters begin cutting weight. usually it begins when they arrive in town for the fights a few days before the fight and speeds up as they closer to weigh-ins. The earlier deadline clearly fucks with a lot of dudes who used to use every available hour on the final day. There are simply fewer hours now to do the final part of the cut, which is a problem for a lot of guys out there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

You could just start your water/sodium cycling 9 hours earlier, or arrive in Vegas 9 hours earlier, or start your camp 9 hours earlier. It's not that big of a deal, and lots of people missed weight before early weigh ins. Is there evidence to suggest a higher proportion of fighters are missing weight now, and can we decouple that from usada's increased controls?

As compiled by MMAJunkie‘s Mike Bohn, 21 UFC fighters have missed weight since the early weigh-ins were instituted. By comparison, in the first half of the year just one fighter missed weight under the system previously in place.

It has caused an issue, but I'm not sure if that's the new norm. A lot of those guys will probably adjust for 2017. The first time messed with quite a few guy's weight cuts though

Agreed with the first part about starting your cut 9 hours earlier, but things like arriving at Vegas 9 hours earlier might be out of the fighter's hands. I'm not sure how much involvement UFC fighters have when it comes to arranging when their flights depart.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

so now we've got a cool mark hunt fight, two squash matches, and a fight i've already seen before.

still better than 208, at least? v:shobon:v

I do think if they can keep Tony Ferguson on the card it'll be a good one. His fights don't suck

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

john dodson trying to fill in for khabib might be the craziest fighter campaigning for a replacement slot I've heard

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

i wouldn't do that unless i was compensated and fighters now have to pay for fightpass
I believe UFC has compensated a few fighters like that before, but then the title fights went on as planned, so UFC probably felt like it wasn't worth it to keep doing it.

and that was Fertitta era UFC. The current owners are trying to cut costs anywhere they can, so it's definitely not gonna happen anymore

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dan Didio posted:

Dana's claiming that if Khabib's team had called the UFC before going to the hospital, he probably still could have fought, and Islam Machkaev is saying Khabib's okay now.

lol.

..so khabib ducked, then?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Khabib is a coward.

making up a medical emergency to go the hospital, not telling your boss about it, and then being perfectly fine not 24 hours later is like the oldest play in the "how to get out of work" book. what a coward.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Overeem JUST lost to the champion, shouldn't he need 1 or 2 more wins? I mean its heavyweight, but still.

Agreed, but if Cain or Werdum are still getting injured nonstop then it's probably gonna be between Derrick Lewis and Overeem. if JDS beats Miocic then it's gonna be the Overeem rematch for sure.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

He probably should, Stipe is the best heavyweight of all time right now.

But if JDS wins like he did 3 years ago then Junior is back to being the greatest ever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Well the greatest heavyweight of all time is Fedor, but if you mean the best in UFC then it's Brock.

I meant best post-Brock, so August of 2016 to now. Brock officially retired from MMA btw so I think it's fair.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

big money big clit posted:

How do you propose to regulate that?

you have the piss collector come by their homes much more frequently to see how clear their piss is. Don't worry, he'll agree to the extra hours

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bunch of really dumb decisions in these fights.

mirsad bektic

more like

you're bad, dead bitch

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC could just get rid of weight classes and match guys up by how explosive and thick their asses are. you can't hide how powerful your rear end is no matter how much water you cut

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

I heard the fight was bad

Something like 6 combined strikes were thrown over 7 minutes of octagon time.

twice.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jerusalem posted:

I was kinda hoping to watch 209 but had other stuff on, sounds like I didn't miss much sadly. Any of the fights worth a look?

all of them except the main event. they were all amazing except the one that wasn't, which was so bad, it made it the worst card of all time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mark Hunt is already back to posting incoherent messages on his Facebook from the hospital. He's 42 years old. I think he has the best chin in the business

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

henkman posted:

Both guys sucked poo poo but Thompson doesn't constantly complain about people not liking him and then puts on performances like that

yeah

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The Matt "The Hammer" Hamill Pod Cast

lol

I'd listen to that

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if GSP were doing this as a joke I would enjoy it, but he isn't so, I'm mad that he keeps saying this

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

dan hardy was the most difficult opponent of his career in 2010

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

This will seem like a "___ was always bad" post but Im thinking Stephen thompson isnt as good as a lot of people wanted him to be, his wins leading up to the title fight dont look as good in retrospect

- beat a gunshy Rory Macdonald who was coming off the longest layoff of his career after getting his face destroyed by Lawler, who then went to Bellator and hasnt fought since (still a good win)
- beat Hendricks, in the last time Hendricks ever actually made 170, and looked like poo poo and dropped 3 fights in a row before moving to MW
- KOd Ellenberger who is 2-6 lately
- decisioned Cote who to be fair has looked good at 170 but not top level
- beat Whittaker which is probably the best win here but he has improved a ton since those back to back losses 4 years ago

so its not like he's bad but maybe just not the world beater some people thought he'd be.. I dont think hes drastically different from the fighter he was when he got dragged into deep water by Matt brown, i think in a 5 round fight he would have a hard time against Maia or Magny, solid strikers like Masvidal, maybe Cerrone and Saffeidene, Lawler if he isnt shot.. i think he'd be even odds or worse against a lot of those better guys at 170. And the division is wayyy way less deep than it used to be, Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger are both ranked despite going 1-5 and 2-6 respectively

And its not to take credit away from Woodley, i thought he deserved to win and is clearly really good at what he does. But Thompson is supposed to be this next level striker, and he's had 2 camps to study a guy who literally has only ever hurt opponents with a right overhand, all he has to do is avoid that, and in round 5 of a fight hes winning, Woodley starts pushing forward for the first time in the fight clearly in desperation mode looking for the overhand right, and Thompson... backs up Karate style with his hands down and chin in the air and gets dropped by an overhand right

agreed, but if you judge Thompson's wins by how they look after he lost you're going to have to do the same for Demian Maia if he loses to Woodley too, and it's gonna look about the same in hindsight. That's cause I don't think anybody has put together a truly impressive run at 170 since Johny Hendricks wasn't so fat and legitimately earned his right to fight GSP. Which I think was kind of your point when you said the division is way less deep than it used to be but I wasn't sure what time frame you were talking about

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I don't think Jon Jones is that big of an rear end in a top hat in real life. He just finds Cormier and Rashad annoying.

Also I would hazard a guess that 95% or more of all fighters are being themselves. It's just fighters are more concerned with being highly-skilled athletes instead of charismatic entertainers. Like the one time a fighter let loose it was Forrest Griffin immediately making a rape joke and it never happened again. Derrick Lewis is good poo poo though

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

hands a waitress his number while married. crashes a bentley drunk full of women not his wife. crashing into pregnant women while almost certainly intoxicated and fleeing the scene. purporting to be christian then asks pussies if they're there. SNITCHING ON WEED. snowball king. that osp fight. steroids. these are all pretty bad things and as a not perfect human i still feel comfortable saying some of these things are assholish traits.

Those are mostly Jon Jones being a fuckup, which he is, but I don't really see much that makes him mean.

Hector Lombard is an rear end in a top hat. jon Jones.. eh, he's a pothead who likes to pet his exotic cat. Even when he goes on Instagram and calls his fans ugly or whatever he does, usually it's cause they started it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

david carmichael posted:

jon jones rules, and is the best

:agreed:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

He's supposed to get like 4 years minimum suspension right? Cause that'll be the 2nd drug test failure. Not sure how pre-USADA stuff gets factored in with new ones. Either way he's 35 and... actually after a 4 year suspension he'd still be like average age for a heavyweight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

USADA seems to target mighty mouse more often than any other fighter.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

eric posted:

I thought Vitor went on TRT after getting face kicked by Anderson?

yeah it was after. but vitor was still juicing back during the Anderson Silva fight and every other fight up until Jacare or maybe the 3rd Hendo match. He's always been on something

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

i am more confident that kelvin is going to kayo anderson than i was that he was going to beat kennedy. that is a rough match up for silva rip

yeah why are they trying to murder anderson silva, I thought he's been a decent company guy the last few years.

could they please let Anderson juice just one more time, it probably won't even matter at this point but drat give him a shot

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

the only good outcome of Anderson vs Kelvin is if Anderson does somehow win he'll get the winner of Bisping vs GSP for the belt.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

what about a 2010 tj dillashaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

If I had to get in a fight , id hope the other guy was bigger than me, so I could land quicker and get more hits. His one punch v my five, etc

Id just stay on my bicycle and keep kicking them in the stomach, using leverage & my springy feet to reset distance indefinitely. there's no way they're gonna catch me

leg reach > arm reach

• Locked thread