Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does anyone think Woodley/Thompson II will play out any different?

Im not really sure what to expect in terms of adapting since neither of them have had a rematch before afaik. I hope Thompson is less tentative and more active though, as much as i dislike Woodley as a fighter there wasnt really anything about that last fight that made me excited to root for Wonderboy in the rematch, i thought a draw was the right decision and could go either way this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

idk if romero can make it another year without getting caught roiding again

Yeah Bispings just playing the odds waiting for him to test positive again so he can continue taking weird gimmick fights. kinda cool

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I feel like the ufc has kind of given up all pretense of title matchups being sporting events instead of blatant business decisions, which sucks imo

I mean people have said that since the beginning but if there was ever a time when it was pretty much true its now

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

this is not even the worst time that this has happened so i dont know why everyone is getting up in arms about it. does anyone remember brock lesnar? hell they gave bj a shot at the ww title against hughes after losing the the title elimanator because georges was hurt and they knew itd be a cool fight. this has been happening forever.

Yeah its happened before but the sport was a lot smaller back then, its less defensible now when theres a bunch of good exciting guys on long win streaks and they get passed up for gimmick fights

It was pretty slim pickings back then let alone at Heavyweight where a 1 fight win streak was more than good enough to give you a whack at the title

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Yoel lost to Jacare and cheated with corner shenanigans in two of his last 4 fights. Also, he's on steroids. gently caress him.

Yeah but still

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Mark Hunt is racist

Overeem is half white and Mark hunt is 100% non white so hes actually less racist

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ditch posted:

Chael talked about Rashad being way stronger and heavier than he expected in their fight (similar to how he described fighting Jones). He could be a handful for middleweights who try to grapple him, as opposed to mild pattycake sessions that seem to hypnotize him.

Chael thinks that about everyone he fights to be fair

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its gonna be...... a good fight

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
So when people say its so unfair that Khabib isnt the champ, the UFC isnt a Real sport because he doesnt get constant title shots etc, might it have anything to do with the fact that any time he is matched up against an interesting style matchup or a big name that people actually want to see (Ferguson, Cerrone, others) he mysteriously drops out several times

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

drat kind of messed up for the weigh ins to duck khabib like this. They're probably scared of him. Jagshemash!

this also

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lloyd Boner posted:

Give Lando a rematch with Tony for the interim belt

They seriously should, Vannata gave him his toughest fight in forever and it was on like 2 weeks notice in his UFC debut, it was also a really good fight

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
LW champion Conor mcgregors wins in the last 30 months

Alvarez
Diaz
Aldo
Mendes
Siver
Poirier
Brandao

Khabib Sagdiev "Lalala you will never get this (title shot)"s wins in the same time period

Johnson
Darel Horcher

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah early weigh ins doesnt really mess with the mechanics of the actual weight cut at all, as long as you arrive there a couple days before the fight you have plenty of time to do the actual water cut, the only issue is I'd imagine guys are trying to cut a little extra weight because they think they have more time to rehydrate

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

I can't believe I let myself get excited for a Khabib fight.

this

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I think it takes some thing like 48 hours to full rehydrate so 9 hours is actually a pretty significant portion of time.

Yeah thats a reason in favor of the new weighin rules though

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Hey... if 2 guys draw because nothing happens in 5 rounds maybe that isnt the fight to make an instant rematch for except now as the main event.

Weird but true

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

chaleski posted:

Congrats to Tyron Woodley for winning 3 minutes of a 5 round fight and winning a decision

It would be weird except those were the only 3 minutes where anything happened

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There were 11 total strikes landed by both men combined in the first round, and 16 in the second. The third and fifth rounds are the only times where anything actually happened in the fight.

Even that is stretching the conventional definition of a 'strike' since they were mostly tapping each other in the chest to make it look like they were doing something without risking attempting to punch to the head

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
This will seem like a "___ was always bad" post but Im thinking Stephen thompson isnt as good as a lot of people wanted him to be, his wins leading up to the title fight dont look as good in retrospect

- beat a gunshy Rory Macdonald who was coming off the longest layoff of his career after getting his face destroyed by Lawler, who then went to Bellator and hasnt fought since (still a good win)
- beat Hendricks, in the last time Hendricks ever actually made 170, and looked like poo poo and dropped 3 fights in a row before moving to MW
- KOd Ellenberger who is 2-6 lately
- decisioned Cote who to be fair has looked good at 170 but not top level
- beat Whittaker which is probably the best win here but he has improved a ton since those back to back losses 4 years ago

so its not like he's bad but maybe just not the world beater some people thought he'd be.. I dont think hes drastically different from the fighter he was when he got dragged into deep water by Matt brown, i think in a 5 round fight he would have a hard time against Maia or Magny, solid strikers like Masvidal, maybe Cerrone and Saffeidene, Lawler if he isnt shot.. i think he'd be even odds or worse against a lot of those better guys at 170. And the division is wayyy way less deep than it used to be, Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger are both ranked despite going 1-5 and 2-6 respectively

And its not to take credit away from Woodley, i thought he deserved to win and is clearly really good at what he does. But Thompson is supposed to be this next level striker, and he's had 2 camps to study a guy who literally has only ever hurt opponents with a right overhand, all he has to do is avoid that, and in round 5 of a fight hes winning, Woodley starts pushing forward for the first time in the fight clearly in desperation mode looking for the overhand right, and Thompson... backs up Karate style with his hands down and chin in the air and gets dropped by an overhand right

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

agreed, but if you judge Thompson's wins by how they look after he lost you're going to have to do the same for Demian Maia if he loses to Woodley too, and it's gonna look about the same in hindsight. That's cause I don't think anybody has put together a truly impressive run at 170 since Johny Hendricks wasn't so fat and legitimately earned his right to fight GSP. Which I think was kind of your point when you said the division is way less deep than it used to be but I wasn't sure what time frame you were talking about

Yeah i think the division has been quietly aging faster than new good fighters are coming up, and a lot of the win streaks are built off guys who were once good and have names but are kinda eating poo poo lately more than people might realize (Brown, Ellenberger, Hendricks, dare i say... Condit)

It definitely does feel a bit like 135 when Cruz was dead and Barao was champ

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I agree and also I really don't want to see twelve episodes of TJ and Cody trying to butter each other up with innuendos.

I do but i respect your wishes

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Ill probably watch that season or at least consider it. Im excited for TJ/Garbrandt and at least the fighters are mostly guys youve heard of trying to make a comeback

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Wouldnt Bisping have like 40 pounds on Bravo and be 15 years younger and a current professional athlete? I dont think Bisping would submit him or anything but he'd probably do fine

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Chael was like 10 seconds (?) away from beating Jon Jones if he didnt quit. He was getting his rear end kicked though

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't know how much of that was quitting vs just plain getting TKO'D and there was nothing he could do about it. He also might not have even known his toe was broken.

Yeah he definitely got his rear end whipped and i dont think either of them knew the toe was broken at the time. Still i felt like saying it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

You're just trying to make me mad but it didn't work, I'm very relaxed and feeling good about things.

How do you mean? Im glad youre feeling good though

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.facebook.com/RothwellFighter/posts/1237081773008125

weird that all these steroid users have legitimate medical issues that they forget to tell anybody about until test positive

Lmao

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
People who got busted for steroids earlier in their careers are very susceptible to mysterious illnesses for which the cure is taking some steroids

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The UFC has been really nickel and diming everyone lately huh

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

Did nobody really try to just sit back and counter against Cruz before the Garbrandt fight? I'd like to watch somebody else try it

Some guys have tried it but never with as deliberate of an approach as Garbrandt, he knew all his setups and was beating him to the punch every time

In fact often Cruz wants his opponent to be on the back foot, they think 'ill just sit back and counter' and then they end up biting on one of his million feints and whiffing. It looks like theyre swinging first but Cruz is in control of the rhythm. Cody was using his footwork to never be in the right place for Cruzs entries so it was clearer that Cruz was trying to lead and kept getting countered

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Well if you make it from mayonnaise sure. But more typically one makes chicken salad from chicken poo poo.

lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yair vs Frankie is a cool fight. Its like Oliviera vs Frankie except Yair is better and theres a pretty good chance he will actually win

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
lmao he deleted it? It was a video of him shooting somehting into his arm with a needle then passing out foaming at the mouth and said something about "I got into Overeems secret steroid stash"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

It is awful that he agreed to fight, then was forced not to. If only he took the McGregor high ground of just refusing to ever book fights.

lmao

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

manyak posted:

LW champion Conor mcgregors wins in the last 30 months

Alvarez
Diaz
Aldo
Mendes
Siver
Poirier
Brandao

Khabib Sagdiev "Lalala you will never get this (title shot)"s wins in the same time period

Johnson
Darel Horcher

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
We need fewer guys fighting anyone on short notice in whatever weightclass and never pulling out of fights. And more guys saying "My brother Bilou he have a retardation" on social media and then pulling out of a fight with Darel Horcher 15 times

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
He even ate a hard jab and then immediately landed it so he was thinking about it way in advance, he must have seen a big tell

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Michael bisping

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Remember when Rockhold, jacare, Romero, and Weidman meant 2-3 years of all time classic fights ahead of us in a couture-ortiz-liddell esque golden age for MW

Haha yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

VITOR: [covering mouth and affecting a high falsetto] i think there should be a division for old people where you just box and you don't have to stand on your feet for longer than 3 minutes [removes hand] Wow, for sure that sounds good bro

lol

• Locked thread