Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Okay, let's try a fresh approach to the Current Events thread.

Last month's rules & infraction records are wiped clean. Life goes on, and so does the Current Events thread.

There is one rule: talk about current events without breaking the rules!

Big events in February:
  • 2017 Oscars were too woke, and people didn't like it.
  • Our president learned that health is "complicated".
  • Our president has uncertain plans for a compromise on immigration.
  • Our president is proposing a 10% increase in funding for the DoD.
  • A wave of threats and actions against Jewish Community Centers recently occurred.
  • Best Korea's emperor is executing more senior leaders, and also his half-brother.

Everyone still thinks the world is ending (they might be right)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/27/us/politics/most-important-problem-gallup-polling-question.html

Cool non-mandatory Twitter linking advice:

quote:

- I generally link twitter because it's easy as hell on a phone and makes article clickthroughs easy. If you're quoting someone's twitter post, remove the twitter link so the quote doesn't have the blown-up picture too for those on desktops.

- For tweetstorms (the thing where people respond to themselves like 15-20 times), just link the first tweet. If they're interested in the whole thing, they'll click through and it's easy to read.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well the Jewish thing could be the reverse you know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I personally hope March is the War on Violence month.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It would be pretty amazing if Trump was the one who gave you guys single payer, if only for his ego.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I wish they had an animated version, even just using interpolated data. Seeing it whiplash back and forth as bubbles grew and shrunk would look so interesting.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So how was the speech? More or less what everyone expected?

(Or even less?)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

two finger :mad:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yikes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
one finger
two finger
red finger
blue finger

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

suck my dick from the back two finger

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
hey zeris, I love monthly threads so much, but you gonna have to update that rule thread a lot

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

current event: two finger mad

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wow

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

yo, the queen sucks

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Nice meltdown :grin:

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

Wow, so much for the tolerant left

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh what did we miss.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
just gonna post to get a free probe from the idiot retard IK or mod or whatever I don't know. I just started lurking this board again after ditching it years ago.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The DPRK News twitter parody guy just ragequit

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/836841236929654784
https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/836841317565071361
https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/836841964888854531

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 1, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Who made Zeris think he's better then everyone else?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

that's really hosed up :(

:rip: the best and most entertaining fake news service

or not?

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/836848880226566144

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 1, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
mad with power

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

was almost worth it to get this pm

Wasabi The J posted:

this is the discrimination i faced in afghanistant

#weshallovercome

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

yo, the queen sucks

Close your mouth, poo poo is falling on the floor.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Remember that dam in California where they had a shitton of evacuations because they thought the emergency spillway was going to break?

They shut the regular spillway off for inspection, now that the water level in the reservoir is low enough, and...well...it's seen better days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvDPt-HU3g

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That won't be cheap to fix

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
It might buff out, but I wouldn't take it for granite.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/836940160709324800

They're talking about taking the President out of the approval chains for raids like the Yemen one. On the one hand, that makes things faster for time-sensitive stuff like hosts rescues. On the other hand, I can't POSSIBLY think of ways that things could go wrong.

Actually, I can. All of the ways. Literally all of them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

No better way to avoid blame than abdicating responsibility entirely.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there a "Dry" Season in Cali to give a decent window to fix it or is it "Wait for drought, hope its long enough to fix" type deal?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BexGu posted:

Is there a "Dry" Season in Cali to give a decent window to fix it or is it "Wait for drought, hope its long enough to fix" type deal?

Cali is really big... where and what is the fix?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

BexGu posted:

I think the "dry season" in California is "the last five years"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think that was just SoCal, San Francisco gets a lot of rain I think, and other parts as well I'm sure.

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/836795554902458368

Wish more people starting thinking about it after the fact like she did rather than gushing over how "presidential" sending someones husband into a failed raid for little reason (that we know of cause we don't know poo poo)

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 1, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/trump-surrogate-suggests-democrats-could-be-behind-bomb-threats-against-jews/

quote:

Trump Surrogate Suggests Democrats Could Be Behind Bomb Threats Against Jews

Jewish community centers across the United States are operating in a climate of fear after a fifth wave of bomb threats aimed at Jews on Monday that targeted at least 13 community centers and eight schools in a dozen states.

A top Trump surrogate — hedge funder Anthony Scaramucci, who fundraised for the Trump campaign, joined his transition team, and was in the running for a senior role in the White House — took to Twitter on Tuesday to imply that these threats could be coming from Democrats, rather than from a radical far-right wing that has been emboldened by Trump’s rhetoric and staff choices.

In his first tweet, he referred to a report about Democratic Party-aligned activists who staged raucous protests at Trump events — a far cry from calling in bomb threats against a religious minority.

Scaramucci’s tweets are only the latest sign that the Trump administration, those close to the president, and the wider Republican Party are fundamentally unwilling to either acknowledge or challenge the wave of far-right hate crimes in the United States that has in recent months targeted a wide set of religious and racial minority groups.

Part of their strategy has been to deny any links between Trump’s rhetoric, far-right ideology, and the recent hate crimes.

Trump ally and former Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Rick Santorum appeared on CNN last week to imply, without evidence, that the wave of antisemitic hate crimes is largely coming from Muslim-Americans. Following a neo-Nazi march in Montana, Republican lawmakers there are advancing legislation to crack down on the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement that seeks to hold Israel accountable for human rights abuses — an implication that the Arab American-led movement is responsible for anti-Semitism.

The Trump administration reacted callously last week following a hate crime in Kansas that gained global attention, where a man shot and killed a man of Indian origin and wounded two others, believing them to be Iranian.

When asked whether there was any link between the shooter’s beliefs and Trump’s harsh rhetoric against Muslims, the White House declined to even consider the possibility. “Any loss of life is tragic,” Press Secretary Sean Spicer replied, “but I’m not going to get into, like, that kind of — to suggest that there’s any correlation [to Trump’s rhetoric] I think is a bit absurd.”

Spicer was also asked last week if Trump condemns Islamophobia in general, and he offered no comment, instead making an awkward and telling pivot to the administration’s agenda against “radical Islam.”

“If you come here or want to express views that seek to do our country or people harm, he’s going to fight it aggressively,” he replied — to a question about Islamaphobia. “So there’s a big difference between preventing attacks and making sure that we keep this country safe, so that there is no loss of life.”

Holy poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BexGu posted:

April- October/November will probably be without rain. I think this is an El Niño season, so we may get showers till May.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Well, Santorum is living up to his name still

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think that was just SoCal, San Francisco gets a lot of rain I think, and other parts as well I'm sure.

Those latitudes have still been in a significant drought. It's only a couple hours west of me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The dam is NorCal. SF dries up entirely around May, and the rain doesn't start again until November.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Scrotox is a thing now. Scrotum botox.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a8370377/i-got-botox-in-my-scrotum-scrotox/ probably :nws:

I'd normally link twitter, but y'all have seen enough balls in the military already. Link is sorta :nws: for a drawing of some dude's balls, thought that only showed up on twitter.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Other than the, you know, drawing of some dude's nuts front and center as you open it.

• Locked thread