Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'
The problem is that you believe these are the same people. Consensus is a lie. Different groups become loud at different times, people who liked the game move on to play something else etc. There are some changed opinions among the crowd and there are definitely rose-tinted glasses at release because people are hyped. On the other hand though, what does it matter? Have fun with games that everybody else hates, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

Are you sure you're not just reading way too many lovely Neogaf threads

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

Horizon Zero Yawn - some games journalist somewhere, I assume

i said this last month but in a positive way

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lobok posted:

Even goon reviews, those most trusted and hallowed of all reviews, have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm seeing it now with Doom. I was a tiny bit wary of playing it from criticism that it was going from arena to arena but now that I'm playing it I think about how similar these "arena" fights are to other games if I swapped it for something like "setpiece". And I'm noticing how much combat is actually spread all throughout the levels in areas of all shapes and sizes that could in no way be described as arenas. Not to mention how much "arena" combat there was in the original Doom games!

It's been a while since I played but DOOM still owns.

Cowcaster posted:

as it turns out getting video game recommendations from complete strangers on the internet that have been established completely independently of your own personal tastes and opinions is dumb as poo poo

:agreed: but it won't stop me from seeking them out:suicide:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally the only way to tell if you like a game is to play it yourself. Trust no one.

Only Trust Your Fists, Reviewers Will Never Help You

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I give this Horizon zero stars :chord:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think you can watch gameplay footage and get a sense of how you'll like it. I saw Nioh gameplay and knew it would be rad. I am still excited for Horizon but seeing multiple people cheese encounters by hiding in the grass and whistling over and over has me slightly more skeptical

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837027763068424196

haha

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

But seriously Zelda GDC will loving own, I can't wait.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think you can watch gameplay footage and get a sense of how you'll like it. I saw Nioh gameplay and knew it would be rad. I am still excited for Horizon but seeing multiple people cheese encounters by hiding in the grass and whistling over and over has me slightly more skeptical

that's not really taking another person's opinion though that's researching and forming your own isn't it

what i like is getting a few real life friends who understand and respect what games you like and don't like and can give you honest recommendations on games you might like but it's just a theory since i have no friends in real life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Horizon's definitely good, but it doesn't exactly shatter expectations. It's a fairly standard open-world action RPG, with all that the term entails in 2017, with the exception of a lack of Far Cry/Assassin's Creed-style busywork icon hunting. Its big draw is that fighting the robot dinosaurs is fun, and it definitely is, but that's mainly what makes it unique. If you threw Rise of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 4, and The Witcher 3 (well, without the super-involved side quests) in a blender, you'd end up with Horizon.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The whistling is definitely overpowered. It needs to be a little less directed. Right now, it seems like you'll only ever lure one robot at a time if you whistle, but I think it should lure more than one if they're standing close together or there's one closer to you than the one you're aiming at. Y'know, add a little risk to it. If nothing else, you can't do instant takedowns on the really big, cool robots, so those fights are always going to be as big and bombastic as they should. But you can definitely cheese standard robodinos by luring them into the grass and stabbing them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The trick is ignoring the simple it's good/it's bad opinions and actually reading what people have to say to get a sense of what the game will be like and even ask question to clarify some things.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Palpek posted:

The problem is that you believe these are the same people. Consensus is a lie. Different groups become loud at different times, people who liked the game move on to play something else etc. There are some changed opinions among the crowd and there are definitely rose-tinted glasses at release because people are hyped. On the other hand though, what does it matter? Have fun with games that everybody else hates, it's cool.

This is very true. I loved games that get some loud goon hate like the Mass Effect and Bioshock series. A lot of people love those games but it's not like people still talk about them much except people who have a chip on their shoulder about it.

I'm also that loud hater person when it comes to certain games like Final Fantasy 8 and 13, where I kind of love to hate them and so do others who are very vocal but it doesn't make us right. Me hating FF13 doesn't make someone wrong for loving it, and just because they're not as loud doesn't mean the goon consensus is that FF13 is terrible. It means they are playing something else and I'm the sad guy still talking about how bad I think a 7 year old game that I didn't even finish was. I'm not sure if that's more or less sad than the weirdos who watch entire streams of games they have no interest in just so they can talk about how much they hate them (see HZD).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The NVIDIA GeForce Experience made PowerPoint hang and crash multiple times because it thought it was a game and every time I switched slides it asked me if I wanted to Share the Experience, good times

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The NVIDIA GeForce Experience made PowerPoint hang and crash multiple times because it thought it was a game and every time I switched slides it asked me if I wanted to Share the Experience, good times

i was feeling kind of mopey but this post cheered me up immensely thank you

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

From my experience watching gameplay footage helps only to a certain degree. Many games give you a lot of options in how they're played and people playing them add a layer of their idea of which of those options are fun to them. I've seen some horrendous gameplay videos of MGS5 where the player did the same unfun thing over and over because that was his choice while the same level played by somebody who was way more creative showed a completely different game and sold me on it. I guess the solution would be to watch a few different videos but I often don't want to waste time like that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Direct me to your PowerPoint twitch pls

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wamdoodle posted:

It's been a while since I played but DOOM still owns.

Yup. If it wasn't clear from my post, DOOM is everything I wanted and lots of things I never even knew I wanted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Truth be told I have almost never gone wrong with my gut reaction looking at the basic premise for a game and thinking if it would be cool. It's the stuff I have to be convinced of by goons that's more hit and miss. The only game I can recall having the wrong feelings about were DOOM and I think everybody was off on that one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm looking up nier music and 50% of youtube thumbnails are spoilers and the other 50% are butts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lets hang out posted:

I'm looking up nier music and 50% of youtube thumbnails are spoilers and the other 50% are butts

The butts are the spoilers.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also hypothetically if i did have friends i would bet one of them would be one who to his dying day never stops recommending to the group at large that they play dota2 and bears it as a personal scar upon his soul when each and every one of us turns him down every single time always coming back repeatedly with new elevator pitches as to why it's such a fantastic game that we'd love

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 1, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna spoil the hell out of that butt

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ok I do t know if this is because I'm playing in Very Hard but this poo poo doesn't work for me. If I whistle a bot over and aggro it, all the other bots know because of their wireless link unless I can kill it in one hit. Even then, if I'm not stealthed, they still know. Only the small bots and low level humans can be killed in one hit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saw some of these at walmart

yikes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

I'm gonna spoil the hell out of that butt

No one likes a spoiled butt

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On the subject of toys - those Pop! things were completely meh to me but then this was released:

:vince:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

lets hang out posted:

No one likes a spoiled butt

Don't kinkshame.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

also hypothetically if i did have friends i would bet one of them would be one who to his dying day never stops recommending to the group at large that they play dota2 and bear it as a personal scar upon his soul when each and every one of us turns him down every single time always coming back repeatedly with new elevator pitches as to why it's such a fantastic game that we'd love

My video game friend spends months/years getting hyped up for every single big game then plays it for an hour

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i take it back real life friends suck for video game recommendations

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember a dude irl telling me to get a psp and to throw away my ds because playing trauma center and phoenix wright is lame because you can't learn to be a real surgeon or lawyer doing those and that the psp is where all the cool adult games are

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
IT'S A NUT you can play OUTSIIIIDE. I love my psp/vita but dear god the commercials were cringey as gently caress. I don't really take goons opinions on anything, some of the things goons find fun I find meh. Like right now all the steam thread saying RCR Underground sucks, but I'm finding fun with it.

Though that is more of the mentality of I enjoy beat em ups alot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cowcaster posted:

i take it back real life friends suck for video game recommendations

If I played what my friends recommended, I'd be playing The Division, MOBAs, Skylanders/Disney Infinity...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

If I played what my friends recommended, I'd be playing The Division, MOBAs, Skylanders/Disney Infinity...

Can't speak for The Division, but MOBAs can be fun casually with friends who aren't angry stereotypical MOBA players, and skylanders is definitely a fun mindless romp if you can get the stuff for cheap and have a friend to play co-op with

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It used to be easy to know if I wanted a new console, because I just asked if it had a Castlevania and then it was done.

It doesn't work anymore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed Tom Clancy's The Division™.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.

There are some stretches that people like less than others but it never like falls off a cliff

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't speak for The Division, but MOBAs can be fun casually with friends who aren't angry stereotypical MOBA players, and skylanders is definitely a fun mindless romp if you can get the stuff for cheap and have a friend to play co-op with

Nah, I honestly don't think they're terrible. Not making GBS threads on those games but they are so not my taste at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Phoenix wright 1 is generally considered good from start to end. The last case was added on in a later release and feels a little out of place but that's about it.

• Locked thread