Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe that nintendo is, at long last, doomed

Insert bendergold.doom gif here.

After all these years this time it will be true!

NO really, hey come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So I know very little about the Switch tbh, is it just a Zelda machine for now?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So I know very little about the Switch tbh, is it just a Zelda machine for now?

Pretty much. The indie line up for the rest of the year looks promising but other than that the next big release we know of is Mario at the holidays.

Personally I won't be getting it yet since I have no problem playing Zelda on the Wii U, but I'm sure I'll get one eventually once there's more stuff out for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Pretty much. The indie line up for the rest of the year looks promising but other than that the next big release we know of is Mario at the holidays.

Personally I won't be getting it yet since I have no problem playing Zelda on the Wii U, but I'm sure I'll get one eventually once there's more stuff out for it.

Splatoon this summer is when Im jumping in. Only reason I'm not picking it up now tbh is that it's still possible (likely?) for their initial slate of announcements to be delayed since nothing really has a date outside of Zelda.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Help Im Alive posted:

Imagine if we woke up tomorrow and all the video game journalism websites were gone

how would the world function

I'd honestly miss reading Rock Paper Shotgun. I've wasted some quality hours on them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Splatoon this summer is when Im jumping in. Only reason I'm not picking it up now tbh is that it's still possible (likely?) for their initial slate of announcements to be delayed since nothing really has a date outside of Zelda.

Oops I embarassingly forgot about Splat2n that's definitely a big one too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HZD has death stranding and ludens easter egg items. collect them all to receive a reward named "warm socks"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Imagine if we woke up tomorrow and all the video game journalism websites were gone

https://i.imgur.com/Nfb9Kll.gifv

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Help Im Alive posted:

:allears: this is the best post you've ever made

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It'd take like a month at most for a new crop of even worse websites to show up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

:allears: this is the best post you've ever made

I'm sorry I will try harder in future

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I really wish the switch was compatible with older controllers, but then again, Microsoft and Sony consoles don't use old controllers either.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

J2DK posted:

I really wish the switch was compatible with older controllers, but then again, Microsoft and Sony consoles don't use old controllers either.

controllers are a big money maker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have spent most of the afternoon listening to Overwatch meme songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVwltmsTos

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the switch's indie lineup is legit as gently caress for maybe the first time ever for a Nintendo console

the big guns like thumper, stardew valley, shovel knight, but also the really good under the radar ones like gonner and splasher. whoever's reaching out to devs there knows what the gently caress is up

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

J2DK posted:

Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony actually improve their controllers with each iteration. The gamecube was the first and last comfortable controller Nintendo made.

Jk, the pad for the virtual boy was p good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

J2DK posted:

Its cool that genesis controllers work on Atari 2600

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony actually improve their controllers with each iteration. The gamecube was the first and last comfortable controller Nintendo made.

Jk, the pad for the virtual boy was p good.
wiimote and nunchuck is the most comfortable dgaf gaming ever, hands at sides chill as gently caress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I keep meaning to play Thumper.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

wiimote and nunchuck is the most comfortable dgaf gaming ever, hands at sides chill as gently caress

Eh, i naturally sit with my hands on my thighs. I can see where you're coming from but a more comfortable grip for te wiimote wouldve been nice for the wiiu. Its not like you could make holding it sideways more awkward.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Me, too. Gonna get in when Splatoon 2 drops and play Zelda then, too. Until then, I'll be happy with Nier, Persona 5, and apparently Prey actually looks kind of okay?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah prey looks like a systemshock reboot

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

I remember before the first Dishonored came out reading a preview in which the devs said that the ability to possess rats and fish came from them brainstorming the logical conclusions players would draw from having the ability to possess humans. I wonder if being able to turn into a coffee cup in Prey was bourne from that same mindset.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I keep meaning to play Thumper.

It's ridiculously difficult and so so good

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Also just look at it drat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Use a image host.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is thumper good without VR

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is thumper good without VR

Yeah it's still a good rhythm game, just better with VR

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Humble bundle is running a bundle with a 20% coupons for Civilization 6 from their store if you buy 10 bucks of Civ games that you may already own, wondering if its worth it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For Civ VI? Eh. The value of this will be determined by how many dozens of hours you already put into Civ V

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea but the game and rule set will be newer. Always sticking to the old is what kills you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ladyinsanity/status/837146752541040640

well congrats to them

e: It's funny how they were at dinner not expecting to win anything:

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/837147105428967424

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/837147802736209921

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

the switch's indie lineup is legit as gently caress for maybe the first time ever for a Nintendo console

the big guns like thumper, stardew valley, shovel knight, but also the really good under the radar ones like gonner and splasher. whoever's reaching out to devs there knows what the gently caress is up

They need it because other than Zelda, the full retail line-up is pretty bad for a while. I'm not gonna lie, I'm also disappointed that the thing is not as light and travel friendly as the 3DS, which I use on plane travel a lot. I was kinda hoping when I eventually got a Switch, I could retire the 3DS but it's not going to happen until they make a Switch lite or New New 4DS or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Yea but the game and rule set will be newer. Always sticking to the old is what kills you.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, the value of VI's novelty depends on how much you've exhausted V, which is the best-designed 4X of all time. VI is strictly inferior in almost every aspect, and is only worth anything if you just want something "new"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I watched Polygon's hour of Prey footage and came away with the impression that Arkane somehow read my mind and made the System Shock sequel I've always wanted. It's been too long since the last good Bioshock game and Prey hits every note I want in a game so far.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Serf posted:

I watched Polygon's hour of Prey footage and came away with the impression that Arkane somehow read my mind and made the System Shock sequel I've always wanted. It's been too long since the last good Bioshock game and Prey hits every note I want in a game so far.

I dunno, Bioshock Infinite came out like 4 years ago, not that long ago.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I dunno, Bioshock Infinite came out like 4 years ago, not that long ago.

Indeed. It has been 7 years since Bioshock 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-MyGnnOPI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bloodychill posted:

They need it because other than Zelda, the full retail line-up is pretty bad for a while.
nintendo is kind of coming into a generation where non-exclusive AAA games are kind of getting less interesting. FINANCIALLY they will hurt from not having mass effect but like. do i give a gently caress about ghost recon wildlands or for honor? no. dgaf about metal gear survive

at this point its all about sony having horizon, persona 5, nioh

nintendo having zelda, mario, splatoon

microsoft having

uh

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I don't really care that much about video game journalism or awards or even No Man's Sky but I would really like to know the rationale behind giving it an Innovation Award. Innovative in what way exactly? Peter Molyneux was doing that poo poo decades ago.

• Locked thread