Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Good luck on getting a Switch to those that did not preorder.

VideoGames posted:

I would definitely like to play Horizon at some point. But the Switch will take up my gaming money for a while.

I honestly did not think there was enough coming out for the Switch this year for that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Not that I will be buying lots of games, more than it's a decent chunk out of my yearly gaming budget. :) I try not to get too many things each year!

Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying.

It feels weird that I'm getting a Switch because I will pretty much play Zelda for three days and then ignore it for at least the next few weeks because Nier takes major priority (it being my most anticipated games) and if playing that goes long it might go right into my next most anticipated game's (P5) release so I might be spending all this money on this thing I'm not actually gonna get around to using all that much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Horizon looks really cool but I likely won't get to it until it's down to like $20

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

LittleBigPlanet 3 is really dead, huh

It was a major step down for the series, it was released unhyped and broken and Super Mario Maker happened so yeah.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The trick is ignoring the simple it's good/it's bad opinions and actually reading what people have to say to get a sense of what the game will be like and even ask question to clarify some things.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Finally that tech developed for that Earthbound ad pays off

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
IGN are dumb but at least some of the criticisms they bring up seem legit. Like they say it isn't awful but for a home console it's underpowered and for a portable it has poo poo battery life and is kinda bulky. None of that seems unreasonable to say.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.

The problem is this is the thing that has been giving Nintendo for awhile. the limitation is fine for Nintendo but in the end will likely lead to another generation of Nintendo console where there is nothing for the console but the first party games. It's another generation where the Nintendo console is something they have to work around rather than something they can include. It's fine for people like us that can just have the Nintendo console supplement what else we have but that's also the type of thing Nintendo have been trying to break free from and I just can't see happening with this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well only time will tell. With the amount of hype it's getting it's extremely likely this launch is going to be massive so no matter what this is going to be an initial success. I've just been in a naturally skeptical of Nintendo state for awhile now and very very little of what I'm seeing in the Switch really says this is gonna be the thing they finally get over problems they've been having since the N64

But whatever, the most important question is should I buy a 128gb microsd card for this thing, or spend the extra money for 200gb?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

The price of those cards is only gonna go down, why not wait until you find yourself bumping against the limits of the meagre onboard memory?

I don't think it's gonna go down enough while waiting for that. One legit thing the IGN review brought up was that one of the launch games (at least in Japan) is bigger than the internal memory of the whole thing. The price for the these things tends to fluctuate these days more than really change all that much. I'm just the type that would rather just have the space now rather than have it come up when something I want to play comes out just to find I now have to wait two days to ship a card.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Zelda had absurdly high scores on metacritic right now. the minigame collection? Not so much and looks like Bomberman is just sorta meh or at least not really worth the asking price

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think reviewers have really forgotten how much Nintendo fanboys flipped over that (honestly accurate) 8.8. All the reviews need to be taken with a heap of salt but even taking that in consideration they are incredibly high with some calling it the best game ever made

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:woop: Just got a platinum trophy, though it feels sort of empty because it was a really easy platinum, though at least I'm not one of those people that bought the game just because it was an easy plat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

Which game? As long as you had fun it doesn't matter :)

The Bunker. I bought it this week because it was on sale and I have a fondness for FMV games. It was alright. Nothing amazing but I don't feel ripped off either. Probably the quickest I've gone from buying a game to platting it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, it'd gonna be weird to start up Zelda and then put it to the side but even if it is exactly as good as all the hype says it is, Nier 2 takes priority.

Also, Best Buy is saying my Switch order is ready for Pickup, this is probably just an error but I will call to make sure.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
"what a day!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap, the new Overwatch character is a lady robot centaur! Damnit Blizzard, I have stuff to play that is not Overwatch!

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 2, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

are her hands digital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqtknassUA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

They wanted to give people an alternative to reinhardt which is a good idea imo and I like her design

Pretty much and her gravity thing seems more to pull people than make them immobile. It appears to be more for getting people out of hiding than making them helpless. Like with all characters added to the game, it's gonna unbalance things for a bit but it probably won't be too bad. People freaked out thinking Sombra was gonna be broken but once she was there she was fine. With Orisa you have to realize that she is a HUGE target and her shield cannot be brought with her. She can buff herself for reduced damage but she seems to not be built to deal damage in a very dynamic fashion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also, going back to Zelda, does anyone know if the Wii U screen does anything in that version?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

I'm at a midnight release event for the Switch/Zelda. Pretty goony guys around here.

So I take it you're alone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really love the Everybody's Gone To the Rapture theme but you could only get that for preordering the game.

Right now there's a free Indivisible theme that I think it's quite nice if you're looking for something.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I may do this with Nier today

If using the Japanese store want a minor inconvenience that I know if also have to go back to for any dlc, I'd probably just say gently caress it and get Nier that way as well

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Nier isn't out till next week tho?

It's out on Japanese PSN and it apparently had an option to play it in English

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Day 1 patch for Zelda! The future is now!

Also, because I'm dumb, can confirm that Switch games taste terrible. Also oddly rattley for a little USB card

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny to hear the tablet does nothing in the Wii U version of Zelda because it was so clearly made to integrate that thing heavily, which they must have completely stripped out when they made it a Switch launch title.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

it sounds like playing on the gamepad scales it back to 720 and thus improves performance? at least that's how it sounds with the Switch version going from the TV to the off-TV gameplay.

I meant more that in game the first item you get is literally a magic tablet and a ton of stuff revolves around it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
New Zelda is really cool. Not entirely sold on the Switch itself yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Can you even get Link to take off his shirt?

Yes but that gif will still apply better to DS because I don't think they're any reason to in Zelda

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a port eventually

Sony don't really port over their first party stuff, like at all. You're only slightly less likely to get a port of BotW.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware it was "true" first-party, I thought it was a No Man's Sky situation.

I don't think any game by Guerilla has ever left a Sony system. I mean first party for Sony is always other companies but I think Guerilla is owned by Sony.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly did not expect Horizon to be as goon praised as it's been to the degree where it's at least Benning competed not unfavorably to the new Zelda. That does make me happy because I did think it looked cool, I just have to much on plate right now. I do really look forward to getting to it though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I actually liked Shantae Pirates Curse more than Shovel Knight (not that it was bad or anything).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the most baffling things about Polanski, is that Repulsion might be one of the best films about the horror of rape ever made. Like he made a movie that shows he fully understands how awful rape is and what the mere possibility of it happening does to women, yet that didn't prevent him from reading a 13 year old girl.

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Please don't post poo poo like this even if you're trying to be ironic, tia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fine Nier, I will play you on the normal difficulty
-me after spending the last hour in the opening stage

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God damnit, Nier 2 is already amazing as well as horribly depressing. Glad I turned it down to normal though because I was not beating that opening level especially with only one life and having to start from the very beginning every time

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Better but not great, there's still a lot of people here who think the switch is bad. Sad!

That just indicates the forum is working as intended

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I got cold feet and cancelled my Switch Bomberman order.

In other news, still real early in the game but it almost feels like Nier 2 is making fun of the plot of Nier 1 right now

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Nier is better than I thought it would be

It rules.

Speaking of Anime games, I got two endings in Stein's Hate yesterday and man it's way better than it had any right to be, especially given how closely it comes to being a harem anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Guitar Hero got pretty meh after Harmonics stopped making them.

Harmonic spent a ton of effort making sure that the way you played the songs was at least similar to if you were playing a real guitar and they just generally tried to make it so the way their games felt was fair and had a relatively to the actual don't. The games without them just saw notes as button s and had no sense of anything other than having a button press when a sound was supposed to happen. It was night and day really.

• Locked thread