Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

oddium posted:

they should have designed a world that makes me want to pay $60 to play, instead of waiting for it be on sale, in my opinion. don't @ me

Seems like they don't need your help on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Batman video games are kind of like the Nemesis system in that I keep hoping they just go away but inevitably they return, each one more messed-up looking and horrifyingly broken than the last.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

GDC is better than like 99% of video games journalism tbh, having an informed development perspective on a game is way more interesting to me than the opinions of someone whose qualifications are "I have played games a lot". I think there's also definitely an issue where a huge amount of games journalism is just regurgitating press releases; games development seems to be locked down pretty tight behind NDAs and the like, it's rare that you get a fun and interesting story of what's going on at a studio or anything actually leaking. It's mostly just "this game is coming out soon, here's a trailer", or "here's a review of a game that we're softballing a little bit so we'll keep receiving press invites from EA in the future".

A couple years ago one of the Diablo 3 devs gave a talk at GDC about readability and all the little things they did with the art direction to make your character stand out even while a hundred monsters are exploding in showers of blood onscreen. That one really stuck out to me as super interesting and I've seen lots of other great panels since then, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Square-Enix is the publisher of many good recent RPGs, such as Life is Strange and Tomb Raider.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I played the poo poo out of Q3 Arena first on Dreamcast and then properly on PC. I remember looking at previews for it in Game Informer and thinking "how can graphics get any better than this." Despite all odds graphics have found a way to get better since then but I was totally blown away at the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Besides the aforementioned Q3, my other moments of "how can graphics possibly get any better" were Doom, Descent II, Final Fantasy VIII, Half-Life 2, Assassin's Creed, and both nu-Tomb Raiders.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider completion question:

I'm at 84% done on Geothermal I'm missing 3 challenges, one mission, two survival caches. I'm at the point in the story where I need to go back through the Soviet Installation and rescue Jonah. Is there more story after I do that that'll bring me back here to unlock more stuff in the area or am I just somehow completely missing some stuff (I feel like I've swept every inch of Geothermal Valley).

Rescuing Jonah feels very end-gamey

There's an entire other major area that's going to open up shortly after that sequence. Your final campfire save before the last boss literally has a pop-up message saying THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN and even then you can go back and 100% everything once the game is finished.

E: I had to just google some of the cache locations to 100% the entire game because some of them are tricky to find.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I think the main Zelda backlash will be "why did so many people perfect score this, it is not a perfect game, and that messed with expectations." The technical problems alone bring it down.

It's more or less impossible for people who grew up playing Zelda to be rational about Zelda, so reviewer scores are especially meaningless here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My favorite games are the ones I have the will and motivation to finish, for the ones that do have an endpoint anyway. I know it's all about the journey blah blah blah who cares, I like to see the end. There are a lot of games out there according to goon canon that I should bow down and accept as The Best Ever, but truth be told if I get bored halfway through and don't care enough to ever complete them, then I can't say they're even better in my own mind than Super Monkey Ball 2, where I got 100% of all challenges.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So by this metric, Super Monkey Ball is a 10/10 and The Witcher 3 maybe like a 5/10 because I only got halfway through.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gone Home is like a 20/10 because I replayed the whole thing with audio commentary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are about a dozen different ways Bioware could have moved on from the ending of Mass Effect 3 and they somehow managed to combine the least plausible (new galaxy!) with the lowest effort (but hey don't worry all your memes + fuckbuddy aliens are still here!) It just feels like Andromeda has nothing interesting to say or contribute to the series. They're about to get outdone in their sci-fi writing from Yoko Taro and the developers that spent the last 10 years making Killzone games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The thing Mass Effect had going for it, particularly 2 & 3, was that it wasn't some slow-rear end open-world survivacraft game. ME2 in particular has the best pacing of pretty much any video game ever. From the stellar opening to the suicide mission it's just balls to the wall action with exactly the right volume of dialogue and exposition needed to keep the player invested in the story. For Bioware to look at the ME trilogy, look at Inquisition, and conclude that what most people want is more picking flowers and mineral scanning is worrisome, to say the least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Genre confusion is a problem that only people on the internet can have, meanwhile any 12-year old who has read a book can implicitly grasp what is sci-fi and what is fantasy, as well as realize that hot dogs aren't sandwiches and cereal isn't soup, because they're not dumb retards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What a strange non sequitur!

Your Honor, I rest my case.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mortal Kombat is almost a fanservice franchise by definition, except sometimes they also succeed at making a pretty good fighting game, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tomb Raider tells the story of a posh archaeology grad who becomes an unstoppable killing machine once she picks up a compound bow for the first time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I don't think perfect means without flaws. I think perfect means "It resonates perfectly with my mind and personality."

There's no such thing as a product without flaws because all things are created by humans, who are flawed beings. I like that some things have flaws because then I appreciate the good points more thoroughly.

This comes as a surprise to nobody but when people say a game is perfect they almost always mean "perfect for me." Like when people point out flaws in a game you really enjoy, you probably don't think of them as "flaws" and moreso, "welp that's just how it is." The things that bother other people don't bother you because you're invested enough in the mechanics and setting that they're not even a consideration, just things you have to do. Like when people criticize Diablo and other ARPGs because "it's just about making numbers get bigger" I just smdh and am like dude that's entirely the point and why ARPGs own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

are we still getting mad at review scores during the new game renaissance?

Did we all finish

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Gravity Rush 2
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Snipperclips
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nier: Automata

?

Is Night in the Woods good? I like strong narrative games but everything about the aesthetic is kinda telling me "stay away."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah it's loving great and it has really good writing. If you liked Life is Strange you'll like it too.

Life is Strange is pretty much my favorite game of all time, it's only the catgirl aesthetics that are keeping me away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Well in this game you are a catgirl in a cartoony animal land. That kind of art style is appealing to some but offputting to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

how did you get through undertale

I didn't play Undertale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What if at the end of BOTW it's revealed that you've been under a gigantic crystal dome the entire time, thus making all of Hyrule a dungeon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If any franchise could benefit from a high fantasy reboot, it's Tony Hawk's Legend of Pro Skater.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's far less comfortable but much more accurate to understand the artist and the art as one discrete package. Polanski's art has been forever shaped and informed by his own sins, in fact it would be naive to think his body of work stands apart from it. Lovecraft's mythology is inseparable from his profound and paranoid racism. You don't get to pick and choose which pieces of a human being you like. The things you enjoy about an artist and the things you despise are one and the same, although it leads to some rather uneasy (although true) conclusions such as, "Lovecraft's art was memorable BECAUSE of his racism."

This has nothing to do with JonTron btw.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ah yes, the scourge of antisemitism would have been wiped off the face of the Earth altogether were it not for the popular television show, "South Park."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

which alien are you guys going to gently caress first in Mass Effect Andromeda, Prince Catface Fatneck, or the scaly-faced catlizard lady

I'm watching this PS4 stream from Polygon and everything looks very... last-gen. And boring.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

I can't tell how near I am to the end of Horizon, it looks like there's a point of no return coming up but there's been a fake PONR before and a ton of hidden achievements still remaining, plus I keep discovering sidequests in new places.

It took me about 62 hours to clear Horizon for the first time doing almost everything. I don't know if that includes the 2 hours I spent dying to the Stormbird in Pitchcliff on very hard before I even got to Meridian.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

The odd thing is all the Mass Effect games had way better combat than DA:I and came before it. It's been too long for me to comment on the side quests though. All I remember are the character quests, which were usually good.

I watched a couple streams of Andromeda and I think ME combat really loses its flow when you're just driving around from prefab structure to structure, fighting 3-4 guys at an outpost and then moving on. Without some setpiece elements to add some challenge and compelling visuals it gets very dull indeed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Despite everything I've said I really would have liked Andromeda to be good, and if it looked awesome like Horizon did in previews I'd be heaping praise and excitement. But right now it just looks supremely... not good, and I think my gamer instincts are right on this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The match-3 hacking minigame in ME2 was perfectly acceptable, but the best hacking was in ME3 (where it didn't exist).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the goony collector dude who went crazy over "ancient vessels" that were just old broken coffee mugs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was hoping they'd at least expand the multiplayer but it looks like just the same old horde mode with 7 waves instead of 10. Co-op story missions, humans vs. zombies aliens, something new.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition was perfectly okay, definitely not without its flaws, but an otherwise solid RPG in a weak year overall for RPGs. I think around this time many goons had already forsworn their holy crusade against Bioware and the evil EA empire so opinions around here tend to get a bit exaggerated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess it is kind of silly that we meticulously preserve ancient pottery in museums that people probably just pissed and poo poo in every day without a second thought.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Lol is this real?

That's just the tip of the DOOTberg.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Who's more insufferable, the fan who thinks all games in a series are unconditionally 10/10 or the one who votes everything down to 0 on metacritic because it's not like [15 year old golden standard that nothing else can ever live up to].

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm going to discuss how nothing in gaming will ever affect me so singularly and profoundly as the RED BOX in Phantasy Star Online.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Who is getting Nier on Steam this Friday? Please LMK if it runs well on your system since I'm deciding between to get it on PC or PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I have no idea why, but every time I see more and more janky footage of ME:A it makes me want it even more.
It looks like it will be the goofy bad bmovie space opera that I hoped it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSo-VJTeE8

• Locked thread