Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i have given videogames up for lent today so i will only be playing things that are not games, such as gone home, the witness, and the witcher 3

Play Horizon: Zero Dawn. That's not a video game but rather a SJW cuck simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

When does Phoenix Wright get less-than-really-good? I've just completed the case with Von Karma (the vampire-looking prosecutor) and it feels great.

Phoenix wright 1 is generally considered good from start to end. The last case was added on in a later release and feels a little out of place but that's about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It turns out all Nintendo Switch carts are poison. The mass fatalities send Nintendo's stock down a whole 2% until they announce Pokemon Stars for the Switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

I never put my DS lite or my 3DS in my pocket because I kept them in a carrying case, with games. Hell, I'm not even sure I kept my GBC in my pockets when I was an ickle tyke.

But... but where else would you keep a Gameboy Pocket?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

five point review systems are like using celsius over farenheit for weather

Absolutely better?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

better, in the eyes of Satan

Hail Satan then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

how about i hail him a cab, to the garbage can where he belongs

What is your problem with Satan, oddium?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

So if you already own a Wii U, is there any reason to buy a Switch at the moment? I'm very ignorant

No, not yet. Zelda runs better but apparently only slightly better and there are no big exclusives for at least a few months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what is going to be the big AAA release that actually satiates some peoples' blood lust for poo poo show reviews? Like they've been chomping at the bit to indulge themselves in the schadenfreude of a game that's been in development for years and has a huge budget go up in smoke once it's in the hands of reviewers and the gaming public at large.

Mass Effect is probably the only one with a real chance of it anytime soon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

There's not really much in the way of big, hyped-up AAA games left for 2017, is there? Prey is coming in May and that looks like it'll be pretty good. Mass Effect Andromeda has a shot at being good but also might be disappointing. Other than that, what's left?

We'll certainly get some stuff announced at E3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

True, though I wonder how many E3 announcements will be coming out in 2017 versus announced in 2017/coming out in 2018. The last time I remember a truly big, mega-hyped game being announced and released in the same year was, what, Fallout 4?

It's possible we'll get some 2017 release dates for already-announced games, though. Maybe God of War: Last of Us Edition?

A lot of major companies don't have any big releases yet announced for 2017's Christmas season so you can bet they are going to be filling that up. EA probably will have one or more Star Wars titles by that point, a new CawaDudy and Battlefield are not unlikely, probably something from Bethesda besides just Prey, etc, etc. It'll probably be a relatively quiet year but I'm sure we'll get some stuff to be excited about and/or laugh at.

Joke answer: Half-Life 3's time has arrived!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my god there is too much gaming poo poo to do

Path of Exile's starting a new league today (think Diablo 3 season plus major patch)

NieR Automata's coming out in a couple weeks

Got Horizon on Tuesday, still haven't played more than a couple hours of that

And to top it all off I literally just realized Breath of the Wild is out, and it's on Wii U, because apparently I've been under a rock

Oh my god!!! someone prioritize for me!!!!!

Play Atelier Firis obviously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

2016 gave us Battleborn, Mighty No 9, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break, ReCore, and Dead Rising 4. Also it had the entire launch of and subsequent complete indifferent towards VR. And a ton of high-profile sequels that dramatically underperformed even if some of them were actually good games.

You just have to take the dry seasons with the rain. CrowbCat will always find something to make videos out of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sPNZ8QHO4

I like how to some degree Keiji Inafune is connected to no fewer than three of those games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Alternatively you end up getting mad at people who don't exist and shouting into the void about how nothing is changing when things clearly are as is the case very often on this site. I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of all the "yeah, take that, people who can't hear my 'take that'" that goes on around here

There are multiple people over in the Shovel Knight thread who do exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember that time that the game you liked's director literally equated gay people to dogs having sex in the rear end

I have so many writers, actors and directors who I used to respect.

I liked Bill Cosby once upon a time. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, NM, this isn't a good place for the chat thread to go

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

After seeing all the climbing and leaping and gliding in BotW open world games have no excuse to cut down on fun movement mechanics. I know they won't do it because of course they don't but I'd love it if the next TES was an uninstanced world and they brough back climbing, acrobatics and levitation

BotW has made it frustrating for me playing Horizon again because I am like "why can't I just climb that rock?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Ubisoft picked the worst possible time to release Wildlands, didn't they? Just hide it under a pile of some of the best open-world games ever made and hope the multiplayer aspect saves it from complete obscurity, I guess?

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

It's Lara, isn't it.

It's Cidney.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Please, meet my sons Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Johnnycage.

What kind of lameass parent has three sons and doesn't name the third Reptile and then stick them in a pit and pretend they don't exist?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, it's just gibberish voice acting yeah?

I like jontron's content but I understand why people wouldn't, and it's pretty strange seeing someone of Iranian descent being involved in all this alt-right poo poo but hopefully people who don't like him are able to overlook any gibberish he supplies to yooka laylee

I don't think anyone should support a game that promotes themselves by including a horrible human being in them. It's sort of hard to overlook that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If not removing fighting other humans at least make it more exciting and fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think the only logical place to go is having Aloy learn the power of friendship through a permanent Thunderjaw companion that communicates in cute clicks & whistles and performs super cool combo attacks.

Much better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad, and as a publisher they seem to make a lot of shall we say questionable decisions like what happened with Mankind Divided. Maybe Hitman depending on how strongly you feel about always-online. Nier Automata might be the best thing with the Square name on it to come out recently but it's also worth pointing out that Square didn't make that one, they just published it, Yoko Taro and Platinum were the ones responsible for making it.

Even if you're literally just talking about JRPGs, both Dragon Quest and Bravely Default as well as World of Final Fantasy.

S-E has a lot of really solid games coming out in general. Like the bad stuff is less common than the good stuff honestly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 10, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is this an actually good thing to do? As in, good at helping me survive so I can get further into the game?

It depends on what makes you comfortable but a lot of people have said it improves their gameplay once they get used to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

well i do it and i've gotten speedlunky/low scorer. here's the most important thing you can do in spelunky i think:

Kill All Shopkeepers because the shotgun alone is insanely useful on top of the amount of free items you get. it'll take a lot lot lot of practice to get good enough to take them on though. here's how i usually get the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oCvmP4tuo&t=115s

This is an actual for-real tactic.

Get used to killing shopkeepers and when it is a good idea to do so. The risk represented by an angry shopkeeper is often far outstripped by the reward of free items and to get to the last true area and the 'real' final boss you basically must kill Shopkeepers or get lucky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I killed a giant spider with my new turbo running powers and it was great!

...Then I tried to kill a shopkeeper and put the bomb too close to him and he ramboed me.

That's basically the big risk. Screw up and you'll get a shotgun to the face. You'll get used to it and once you start getting free shopkeeper items you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

John Carmack, the chief technology officer of Facebook-owned Oculus, sued ZeniMax Media on Tuesday, saying it still owes him money from buying the video game studio that he founded. Maryland-based ZeniMax bought id Software, a Richardson-based video game studio, in 2009. Carmack left the company in 2013 to become Oculus' CTO.

"John Carmack hosed up unbelievably, desperately struggling to find a way to salvage it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Stamina is fine as is and if anything probably could stand to be a bit more limiting as its' pretty rare to run out with 1 or 2 upgrades unless you're trying to brute force climbing instead of being smart. Swimming and sprinting both have other lower-stamina options which encourage you to think about how you're going to approach things rather than just mash the forward button until you can't. If anything I think BotW plays better with base stamina because you're forced to consider how to climb and you can get a feel for the strong level design instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I think making the Champion weapons unbreakable would invalidate the game's weapon-scavenging system almost entirely unless the Champion weapons were also much weaker than they are now. Being able to reforge them is a good middle-ground, I think, though I'd rather it be more that you're repairing them because it feels weird to break an ancient heirloom and then make a replica like it's totally fine :v:

I found the durability system started making more sense when I started thinking of weapons like guns in Halo or something. Like, I can only carry two guns at a time in Halo, and if enemies stop dropping ammo for the gun I like to use, I eventually have to ditch it for one of their weapons and keep going. As long as I think of Breath of the Wild's weapons like that it started to get a lot less frustrating.

Yeah, I think the durability system works here because combat is, rather than the focus, something you consider and you have plenty of options for how to approach things or even avoid fighting all together. Getting into a fight feels meaningful if just because it actually means you have to consume resources (or use your non-resource-limited weapons like the bombs). It sucks in something like Dark Souls where it adds nothing to the game but BotW uses it really well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

the combat in botw is nowhere near complex enough to support this and the fact that there's weapons everywhere only hurts it more. you equip your favorite weapon type (sword for shield, lance for speed, axe for power) and power through. elemental weapons are the only time this really comes into play

Yes, weapons are everywhere, but not every weapon is created equal and even if the game isn't actually hard to enough to punish you severely for it there's a genuine push to use minimal resources wherever possible while still encouraging you to actually break weapons for the benefits. It's not a ~super hardcore game~ but its also a game aimed at fairly casual players and does a good job of making meaningful resource usage for a crowd who normally doesn't go in for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I think the main Zelda backlash will be "why did so many people perfect score this, it is not a perfect game, and that messed with expectations." The technical problems alone bring it down.

Anyone who is stupid enough to think a perfect score means a perfect game probably has trouble figuring out that they should stop trying to breathe underwater.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

B-but reviews should be perfectly objective, I don't want any of this subjective poo poo in my game reviews!

(objectivity is impossible in any sort of art and entertainment and any attempt to review those things with total objectivity is likely to miss the entire point of art or entertainment right from the start)

Even beyond objectivity, 'the top score in a critical review' has not and should never mean 'literally without flaw.' Nobody looks at a 4/5/whatever star movie review and goes "oh gosh, that means this movie is perfect and has no flaws?!" or sees the top score for a gadget review and assumes that it cures cancer or whatever. The fact that a top score is treated as The Literal Perfect Game is as much a problem with review scoring as the fact that 7 is treated as a failure. If you have a review score you literally never use then your review system is pretty stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

No it isn't. If you think that the top score in a review means "literal perfection' then you are acting really dumb, yes. You're the one who decided I was somehow insulting you for not liking Zelda enough.

I said nothing about Zelda's quality, objective or subjective. Literally all I said was "it's dumb for people to treat high scores as a claim of perfection." You, inexplicably, took this as "and he's actually saying I'm bad for not liking Zelda!!!" for no reason at all except you were looking to get angry at someone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I mean, I think bloodychill's point isn't that "10/10" must equal "perfect," but instead that, to them, the flaws are severe enough that they drag down the overall experience and therefore it doesn't make sense that the game is getting such universal acclaim. I don't think that's a stupid stance to take, I just disagree with their opinion about whether certain game systems are good or bad.

I don't personally care if anyone dislikes or even hates Zelda. I know someone who hates it merely because they liked the old style of Zelda and feels the new one is too unfocused and poorly implimented and takes away from what they enjoyed in Zelda. Literally my only point was going "I can find a flaw, why did this game get a good score?!" is silly because as you pointed out earlier the answer can be "while this flaw exists the person writing did not find it significant or serious enough to constitute a serious flaw."

It's really frustrating when any comment at all is taken as some sort of aggressive attack on someone's opinion on a game, let alone one where I didn't actually say anything about someone's opinion on a game.

bloodychill posted:

I didn't say literal perfection. I said perfect score and the fact that you're pushy and throw around insults for reasons I don't fully understand is the part I'm taking issue with. Like what Harrow said below basically.

Okay, Bloodychill:

What game deserves a perfect score? Because right now your comment doesn't actually appear to differ between perfect score and literal perfection and the fact that you're taking it as an insult against you implies to me that is exactly what you mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

A part of me still wishes that Shadow Isaac was something that actually made it into the final game so that at least then we might have gotten a funny YouTube out of DS3's failure.

That would have been better than what we got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Almost all the game mechanics go together very tightly and are well-designed, the game nails its visual and sound design, the game brings at least one new thing to the table, there are no game-breaking bugs, performance is at least serviceable, the (fairly subjective) quality of writing and story-telling are good if that's a factor in the game, and the very subjective "is this game fun as all hell." There can obviously be some give/take on each category. That's a perfect score.

If you're saying "approach that" then you've not actually answered the question. What is a 'perfect score" game. Not one that approaches it. A genuine game that you would go "This got 10/10 and deserves it." If you can't name a single game that deserves a perfect score then you're actually doing exactly what I said: creating an unobtainable ideal for no reason.

This is exactly the problem I mentioned before. Treating 10/10 not as "this is a top mark" but as a magical perfect unobtainable ideal which no game can match, and then getting upset when people actually use it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

If a paper deserves an A+, it gets an A+. If it doesn't, it doesn't and whining about it is stupid. Same goes for games. Of the games I mentioned, LBW is probably the only perfect score game. BB and TF2 are damned close.

There's nothing wrong in holding things to a high standard. It doesn't mean a 9 is "just good" or a 7 is trash. I wasn't one of myriad weirdos whining when Twlight Princess "only got an 88." So gently caress gently caress off with all that "magical impossible scores that no game could achieve." Like I laid out a pretty good metric there.

That isn't a high standard. If you create something that nothing can reaching without you cheating (LBW has game-breaking glitches among other things so your argument that a game-breaking glitch disqualifies a game from a perfect score doesn't apply to it) then you're not holding things to a high standard, you're doing exactly what you claim you're not: creating an impossible standard.

Again, a reviewer for a movie (for example) that gives it two thumbs up or four stars out of four isn't saying "this is a flawless masterpiece upon which no criticism can be made." Yet for no clear reason video game people want to hold 10/10 up to frankly absurd standards.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I mentioned give and take on the factors relatively. Some rare game-breaking glitch isn't a deal breaker. Lots of glitches or crashes tend to bring things down. I'm still not sure how it's an impossible standard.

This is the exact same thing that gets said by every person who does this. "Oh, I have high standards" and then an utter refusal to commit to actually saying what lives up to those standards. You're hemming and hawing over saying LBW does (and understandably because LBW has a massive boatload of huge design flaws that are ridiculously easy to point out and nobody who actually has high standards would ignore.)

Again, why have 10/10 on a score if it is never used? Why insist that 'perfect' is the highest ranking when no reasonable critic is ever going to pretend like a work is flawless and without error. Even the best movies having gaffs, even the best games have glitches and design flaws, and sometimes something can be a flaw to one person and not to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

while ps2 emulation continues to be a giant shitheap that makes zero progress with devs instead focusing on making weird hacky fixes for every separate game and never actually addressing the core faults of the emulator causing those issues in the first place which leads to already hosed up games sometimes getting even worse, xbox emulation continues to literally not exist

you will never be able to play grabbed by the ghoulies in 1080p

I only care about Metal Wolf Chaos.

• Locked thread