Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've never played a Lufia game, I don't like JRPGs. Can you explain?

The opening of Lufia 1 is the ending of Lufia 2, which is a prequel.

It is, if you went into L2 without playing L1, a pretty big surprise as the ending of L2 is "the protagonist and his wife die" but since it is assumed you played L1 it isn't supposed to be a shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

again, by definition, aren't prequels pre-spoiled

Eh, it depends. A lot of prequels like to pull surprise recontextualizations and like "this minor character from the prequel turns out to have been the villain in the original after a name change" is probably supposed to be a surprise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knowing twists in advance can absolutely change how you feel about a game. Bioshock, to use a game example, is built upon the idea that the player is being tricked. Even if you, personally, didn't get tricked by it and figured out the Kindly twist in advance it worked for a lot of people and impacted their experience. Knowing it in advance changes how you view things and to some people it's more fun to get the intended experience instead. Not spoiling things is just not being a dick to people who enjoy things differently from you.

The argument of "It's not a GOOD THING if spoiling it can ruin it" is silly because a lot of movies, books and games function at their best by tricking or misleading the viewer to evoke emotion. Knowing the trick means you can appreciate how it was set up but you don't get the same emotional connection as you would if you 'fell' for the trick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Having a fresh first experience is nice but it's dumb when it gets to the point of insisting that detailed discussion just not happen on enthusiast sites unless it looks like an FBI doc.

It depends.

Like okay, for video games: There are a lot of valid reasons to discuss a game before you're finished it because games are long and have mechanical or gameplay issues which you might want to discuss. Short of making separate story/gameplay threads how do you handle that without asking for spoilers or telling someone "Well, too bad that you wanted to ask where the magic sword of mcguffin is, here is a discussion about how Cloud kills Tidus instead."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite big of slick Persona 5 design is that the loading screen shows a variety of silhouette people walking past which is somewhat context sensitive depending on where you are. When you go on a field trip to America everyone is fatter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Oh well.

It's not coming to PC anyway, I'm not going to be able to play for years at least. You guys might as well be talking about Half Life 3 :(

Fun fact: Persona 4 came out a year after Half-Life Episode 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

what the gently caress are you doing reading the database entries in doom 2016

Resting between punches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Homosexual

Homosexuality

Homosexual

It's Homosexual > Homosexula -> Homosexdyne please get it right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's a haiku ya dingus.

A haiku it is
You see that was not the point
It was all a joke

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valve is just not good at this monetizing other people's work thing, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Was the Lufia 2 remake for the DS any good?

No. It's basically the original but with bad ARPG gameplay, puzzles that are less interesting than the original, a much crappier ancient cave, and a handful of plot point changes that exist to do nothing but remove bite from several of the game's scenes (Up to and including Maxim and Selene not dying at the end through total bullshit that sets up a new sequel that never happened.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What is Night in the Woods anyway? I haven't really been paying attention, just kinda seen pictures and such. Someone just used it in the same sentence as Undertale so now I'm paying attention :v:

It's a sort of low-key game where you play as a college drop out who returns home to a dying small town. It's mostly just social interaction with some good writing and simple puzzles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

SMT4Apocalypse is one of the best jrpgs I ever played

I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I need a control group of Jrpgs that rate absolute zero on the anime scale to conduct my experiments

There's no such thing as a WRPG that rates zero on the anime scale, let alone JRPGs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If someone calls Planescape Torment or Fallout an anime to my face I will sucker punch them.

Ah yes Fallout, the game that literally has direct references to anime. Certainly not anime at all.]\

Edit: Also the game where you can play as a post-apocalyptic beefman who punches people so hard they explode into gore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

...does this logic mean that anime containing direct references to western art is western?

No, it means that the stupid-rear end "anime!!!" thing is dumb because Fallout is inspired by a lot of poo poo, including anime because nerds work on video games, and wringing your hands and whining about how something is 'anime' is stupid as poo poo because anime includes Fist of the North Star or Berserk among other things, both of which are heavy inspirations for a lot of video game poo poo.

Try to actually phrase what you dislike instead of panicking and waving your hands to and for and going "ANIME!!!" as if that means anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Oh so you're just doing the usual dumb thing where you get mad that words can be used to mean multiple things.

No, I'm pointing out that you're doing the usual dumb thing where you use a meaningless generic phrase that has absolutely no actual value and expect people to understand what it means.

See: The person claiming that goddamn Chrono Trigger is 'mildly anime' or whatever the hell. The game with art design by Akira Toriyama where you play as a spikey-haired mute JRPG protagonist who travels through time fighting demons and space aliens alongside a knightly frog and Bulma from Dragonball Z.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I told Steam to stop showing me games with the anime tag and it stopped showing me exactly the kind of game I mean when I say anime but still shows me fighting games, jrpgs and japanese games in general, so it seems most people know exactly what is meant by the use of that term. The only people who don't are willfully dense anime fans like you.

An yes Lurdiak, your argument of "i told Steam a thing and it stopped showing me stuff" where somehow JRPGs and Japanese games don't count. I can't imagine why anyone doesn't agree with your brilliance.

Certainly this is far more logical than actually expressing what you dislike. Certainly when asking for opinions of games that are 'low-anime' it certainly is useful to have a vague description that doesn't actually imply what you're looking for or to avoid.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Look man, your attachment to prescriptive language on this singular issue doesn't make any sense to me and I don't understand why you get so worked up about it every time it comes up. You can't point to every single thing that's mildly influenced by or similar to an anime and say that anyone who likes those things can't criticize anime or use the word "anime" as a pejorative, and you certainly can't keep pretending you don't understand how someone can say Chrono Trigger is less anime than the Persona series. It's beyond disingenuous and stubborn and borders on the facetious. There's basically nothing you can do or say that's going to stop making me use the word "anime" the way I use it, so you should probably make your peace with being on the losing side of the evolution of language.

Bullshit.

The problem is the same tiresome stupid poo poo every single time. The issue is that you're self-conscious and terrified and don't actually want to admit that you like something Japanese-as-gently caress because you've been teased about it or something similar. So you keep making up weird imaginary barriers so you don't actually have to discuss anything on a level beyond throwing out a single word so that everyone knows you're not a ~anime lover~ despite the fact you like or play Japanese-as-gently caress anime games. It's tiresome because you kill any actual conversation about subject matter in favor of going "anime!!!"

If being on the 'losing end of language' means that I can explain what i mean instead of using a word that means different things every time someone uses it then sign me up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I've never taken Wild Wasteland in New Vegas because I got so turned off by Black Isle / Obsidian's "wacky side" from the earlier games, but people insist on using it all the time. So do the New Vegas gags fall into the latter category?

The Wild Wasteland stuff is almost all "this was a reference to a thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I like plenty of Japanese games and other Japanese things without being self-conscious about it, there's a difference between Japanese pop culture, Japanese culture in general, and anime, are you aware of that.

Yes. Apparently you're not though. Maybe you could explain the question: What makes Chrono Trigger 'less anime'?

Define 'anime'. Even if it has multiple definitions you should still be able to define it. So what's the definition, Lurdiak, beyond "thing I say when I want to whine about things."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

What does your scouter say about my anime level?

It seems to say that you're the coolest bitch up in this joint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

hey bros

So I am obviously going to prioritize playing the big exclusives on my PS4, persona 5, nioh, horizon, all that stuff

What are some smaller or more niche titles that are worth checking out? I have a PC so I don't care to play multiplat titles but I bet there's all sorta gems that I haven't really followed (I'm thinking must play stuff like the odin sphere remake)

It depends. What sort of games do you like? There's a fair number of niche PS4 exclusives but like it's hard to say if Disgaea 5 is your bag. (Though I guess that's not exclusive anymore.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I like.....a lot of different stuff. RPG's and pattern-based action games with sick art are always a good time but aside from sports games and multiplayer-heavy games, I am pretty accepting of any and all games that are legit good

That said, D5 has been on my radar but super lengthy SRPG's are probably low on my interests. I hardly never finish them

Yakuza 0 is an easy recommendation. Digimon: Cyber Sleuth is kinda like Poke-Persona and a lot of people seem to like it. Gravity Rush/Gravity Rush 2 are pretty drat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

People who remember things are mentally ill

It's true. Almost 100% of people diagnosed with mental illness also remember things.

• Locked thread