Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah thank you! Handy to know. The one thing it has over PSX version is Maria mode which was fun to try out but doesn't feel very essential either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You totally lost me on the September 2004 one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i just wanna say that i really like modern jrpgs and star ocean is goddamn trash and i dunno how it even managed to get a fifth game
Squeenix should have just given the Lightning license to Tri Ace so they could more LR games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

We wouldn't need knock-off Valkyrie Profile if we could just get an actual Valkyrie Profile again.

They tried this kinda with exist archive but that kinda blew so I'd rather just have more Lightning games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

The hits haven't stopped personally since like September 2015. I've bought new release games at a pace of like once a month since that have all been amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

I've never played a Souls game but I've seen a lot of videos and GIFs of Souls games and there's never a face to be seen. Only helmets.

I will not wear a helmet if I'm particularly fond of my creation so I can at them on elevators

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

89 posted:

I pondered the idea of eventually grabbing a heavily discounted Wii U to have The Nintendo Machine with it's virtual console.

But, then I realized most of the games on VC are still $10 each. wtf.

They're like 5 to 10 which is totally reasonable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Games aren't old enough for a Robert Osborne we need like 7 or 8 more decades

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXV is epic but I've only played the demo. The only bad FF game is the III remake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I really just want a digital list of games that I own but haven't beaten or want to replay, so I can just pull it up and see "Oh, I never beat Metroid Prime" and able to pull it up on my phone or computer without digging through my closet. Ratings or recommendations would just help me prioritize what I play.

Backloggery is this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I really hope the west gets DQ11. I know the reason DQ10 didn't come out here is because it's an MMO and not because we're not going to get more Dragon Quest games but I'm gonna expect the worst until we have an actual date

Between DQ Heroes and Builders and DQ 7/8 all getting released in the West in the last two years I would eat my own rear end if DQ11 didnt come out here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be getting the Switch version

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm struggling with that right now as well with the final boss of Oath in Felghana, which is doubly annoying because even if you can successfully dodge all his patterns it's pure Rng on whether or not the specific circumstances will allow you to get hits in the second phase.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's incredible that they managed to gently caress up a bomberman game and then sell it for 50 dollars.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For some asinine reason they decided that it would be fun if you had to play a bomberman game with a zoomed in and canted camera angle so you could never actually see the entire level

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier is really flipping good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier is better than I thought it would be

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ico + SotC bundle blew my freaking mind because Shadow moved at frame rates approaching the double digits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If anything people should be comparing HZD and Nier, they seem to be closer in that its combat > world design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The penalty for death in Automata is one of the more punitive I've seen outside of roguelikes. Pretty brutal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like DJ hero more than Guitar Hero

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

What is the penalty?

It's got souls corpse run system but instead of currency on the line it's your equipment and any XP you had gained since last save, which can delevel you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When has any system launched with more than like one game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like the best selling title at launch for PS2, which is the most successful console ever, was a DVD of the matrix

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worth pointing out that there's actually quite a bit of academic criticism around video games but nobody reads that stuff outside of the person who wrote it and maybe one or two of the people who showed up on that block of the conference and saw the presentation.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

It may just be selection bias but I also think a lot of criticism on video games tends to skew in a negative direction. Too much "here's why this game is racist/sexist" and not enough "here's how this game portrays people or issues well and what the industry can learn from it. "

Academic games stuff is too young to be messing with identity politics, it's like 25 minute presentations on the ball physics in FIFA2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

How the heck did I never hear about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pybOtiV2ggI

Contra III kicks rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat what's wrong with Guilty Gear

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Can't wait for the resurgence of off-brand mascot 3D platformers :smithicide:

I would probably play a new Gex game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Square Enix still makes awesome RPGs all the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like possible GOTY Nier Automata, out now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I was mainly thinking DQ, FF and Bravely Default

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love everything about sunshine except the blue coins but I usually just ignore them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are you actually suggesting Quake II is better than Quake III Arena

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Everybody list your game-graphics shock moments:

Doom 2 (at the time second 3D game I've ever seen after Wolfenstein 3D)
Quake 2 (woah you can't see pixels, how is this possible)
GTA 3 (oh my god, you can run in any direction in a giant 3D city with no loading screens, what?)
Burnout 3 Takedown (I told my cousin that this is how real-life cars look and it will be hard to get better than this)
Oblivion (the classic out-of-the-cave moment many people had)
LA Noire (facial animations)
Battlefront (I was actually shocked how much this game literally looked like Star Wars movies at all times)
Uncharted 4 would be the latest one where I really felt a jump in quality in comparison to other games

There were probably a few others that I forgot.

When my neighbor down the street got a dream cast and I still had a SNES and he showed me ready 2 rumble boxing and I poo poo my pants.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

looking at the Zelda/Nier/persona 5 reviews earlier I was remembering the old Phil Fish quote about how Japanese games suck, then watched the video again and was surprised that when he describes his ideal Zelda game, it's pretty much what BOTW became https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss of Oath in Felghana is kind of a bummer to me because of how much I love the rest of the game but I beat it again. I may start a NG+ file immediately on Very Easy and see if I could beat the game in like 3 hours

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's amazing that only one series of games has produced a perfect product and it did it three times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

Europa Universalis IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Performance only matters if the game becomes unplayable for it, imo. There's a million things I care about in a game before framerate. Unless it's a FG or a shmup, but arguably the framerate is intrinsic to the gameplay anyway so it becomes hard to separate

• Locked thread