Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Valve is the worst gaming related corporation on the planet so I'm surprised it took them this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

valve invented steam and subsequently the entire digital download market so some respect is warranted

Yeah, Steam is loving awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know what this is meant to prove.

That Valve doesn't give the slightest poo poo about what is released on their platform and as a result, 99% of it is worthless crap.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's not forget the worst game ever made, DOTA2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

as opposed to sony and microsoft who have extremely strict marketplace rules

They used to...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There's some poo poo on consoles, but no rpg maker games yet I think.

The PS3 avatar marketplace tho... not so good.

PS4 and Xbox One opened to early access because steam games where making fat bank off early access games. It's a travesty, but as long as you just buy Nintendo consoles you want have to be scarred by it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if there's a criminal case against valve for producing a Best Selling List weekly on a platform where nobody has to actually report sales numbers and their own games are top 3 every week for the last decade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really know if Valve is the worst but they sure do seem to do some things that I would characterize as "sketchy" like the recent Dota2 shop monetization thing where they drastically hosed over people creating the content, the whole "CSGO weapon skin gambling" thing which they seemed perfectly content to let ride until it blew up in their faces, the history of Steam refunds being "we had to do this or it would open us up to legal problems in the EU," etc. I can't even bring myself to give a poo poo about the whole "early access and greenlight flood the Steam store with garbage" argument because I'm not aware of there being much in the way of concrete evidence that this negatively impacts deserving indie games, and as other people have pointed out it's largely to developers' benefits to have an easier time getting their game on perhaps the largest (or at least one of the largest) video game content delivery pipeline in the world buuuuut they do seem to be more concerned with raking in fat stacks of cash than, for example, improving their customer service or making QoL improvements.

Early Access is the concept of the scam legitimized so that all parties involved except the consumer can profit. The company should be dismantled from the inside out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

plz dont pull out posted:

Man there was a string from like HL2: Ep 2 to Portal 2 where Valve was just putting out a steady stream of solid-great games. Couldn't wait to see what they did next then DOTA 2 happened and welp.

Valve didn't make Portal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's always worth reiterating that I feel. Like Valve's greatest achievement ever is buying the publishing rights to a student project that they summarily ruined by producing an unnecessary sequel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, what's everyone up to? Any exciting plans for today/the weekend?

It's wrestlemania weekend so watching lots of wrestling and playing something on Vita/3DS during the down time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMT4Apocalypse is one of the best jrpgs I ever played

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Please no

Not again

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apparently the reason I never got the trophy for beating Celceta way back was because I couldn't be bothered to walk up a volcano after beating the final boss and watching a cutscene. Incredible! But now I did it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I never beat the optional boss, it just one shot me even after I finished the game so I figured it would require more grinding than was acceptable.

I tried to fight him and could do damage and was surviving hits and probably could have beaten him if I just brought 100 bitter potions but I didn't want to actually how to fight him well. I was around level 52 I think and never did any griding during the story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did do the overnight money trick and had 3 +72 ultimate weapons though like a boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This exact same conversation happened a week ago

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah but somehow it's funnier this time

Comedy rule of threes means April is gonna be a barrel of laughs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's kinda messed up that the automated diplomacy in EU4 is part of the paid upgrade because it seems like it's just a QOL improvement to an existing system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

It's basically extortion. I like Paradox and I like how relatively open they are, but they do know how to bleed you dry through a dozen microtransactions that aren't even that micro in price

Yeah Ive never paid full price for a DLC for this reason, I know in like 6 months it will be single digit dollars so I almost always buy stuff way later ina steam sale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The bit where the guy misses a whole damage cycle because he chokes jumping up the demons arm is very relatable.

Also it looks like he's charging and attacking at the same time and I've never found a comfortable setup for that. :(

It's pretty easy to do if you're playing on a keyboard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

no one has done anything fun or creative for April Fools for years.
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/847913284971896832

Arika announced a new game as an April fools gag so that's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually had no idea Arika was still making games

• Locked thread