Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some kind of small pastry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

People who liked Papers, Please! should give Cart Life a try. It used to be sold on Steam but since the author made it free he removed it from the platform (no idea why). It's with no exaggeration one of the best written games ever as it explores realistic every-day themes that almost no games successfuly venture into. It's also a prime example of extending a game's narrative with gameplay design. It's heart-breaking though so it's not for everybody, basically imagine Manchester By the Sea: The Game and that's what it is.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 20, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:siren: The final thread to vote for the TOP FORUMS DOG is up. :siren:

Our forums candidate is Rusty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MFW I read this thread during another straw man-infested slapfight

https://i.imgur.com/XLCgfMd.gifv

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I have a relatively new PC with a bigdeal slammin' video card. What are some games that'll showcase the technical power of a PC but also be fun? New tomb raider was okay and overwatch is cool but what else is there? Is witcher 3 as good as everyone says? I have it but couldn't really bring myself to even fire it up after the underwhelming and boring/tedious experience I had with the first 3-5 hours of witcher 2.
IMO Witcher 3 is as good as everybody says and improves on 2 as much as 2 improved on 1.

Doom, Titanfall 2, Hitman 2016, Battlefield 1 (it has singleplayer), Far Cry 4/Primal, Dying Light and Crysis 3 still look great.

Also check out Reshade - it's a very easy to use post-processing software that will improve how realistic games look (it doesn't really work well on more stylized games). You can download presets depending on a game but just turning on Luma Sharpen, High Pass Sharpen and Clarity will make games look crisper without really interfering with their designed look.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, people are permabanning themselves over Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I googled Zelder and apparently some people call the new Zelda game The Zelder Scrolls.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fallout 4 just looks dated and Doom is one of examples of the best looking contemporary games. Witcher 3 somehow manages to look good despite not consisting of metal surfaces.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

The Witcher 3 also has very intense color grading! And sharpening! Color filters being used properly is the wave of the future

edit: Although Velen sometimes gets so yellow in the afternoon in foresty areas that I can't actually see anything so maybe they went a little overboard
There are certain types of weather and times of day that I've never seen depicted in gaming before TW3, no joke.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

but then you have to place actual humans and humanoids in there

Look at her face haha.

If only they replaced all humans with Krogans.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I dunno, ME:A still doesn't go into what looks like botched plastic surgery territory.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

I cannot wait to play Goofy space adventures :D
Cool, I'm looking forward to your Kingdom Hearts write-up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm finishing Blood & Wine and man I love the main theme more and more. It's almost like something out of a Disney movie but more serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU3PeaZZ_tg

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

XCOM isn't an RTS. Like, I know it's cool to argue 'but where do you draw a line, what does RTS stand for?' but nah, XCOM isn't an RTS. Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, Homeworld, Grey Goo, Total Annihilation - yes, XCOM - no.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There are some genre-defying games but XCOM isn't one of them and those other games are pretty rare and 90% of them only feature some borrowed mechanics and gimmicks. What is the main thing you spend your time on in the game? That's its genre, it's really not that confusing. Games that truly successfuly blend different genres usually start defining a new genre (like mobas).

Games (especially the mainstream ones) are way more limited by genres than what is happening in other media which is the actually interesting thing to confront instead of going 'woah, AC: Revelations features a moba minigame, now you can't define it'. There really isn't some incredible genre-defying world of games out there just waiting to be discovered. Sadly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you think a game you played wasn't good it only means you weren't young enough when experiencing it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just kidding because holy poo poo there are some bad games out there but it sounded observant enough to seem wise so I posted it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Help Im Alive posted:

Name even a single bad video game, I dare you
I could name a few from my past write-ups but one game I played that stands out as having absolutely no redeeming qualities would be Dark Shadows: Army of Evil.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Snak posted:

ARPG, or "action rpg" is becoming a term, which I don't really care for.
Remember how the term ARPG was created in the first place? It's when people were mad when Diablo 1 was being called an RPG so a new term had to be created. Good times.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

8 Settembre eh?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

I'm doing Maya. The most complex thing I've tried to make so far is a gun but I deleted it in a fit of frustration because it was going so poorly. There are so many tools and I have no idea what any of them do or why they don't switch to one another with one button press or why zooming out zooms out in 5 steps but zooming in goes in one at a time and aaarrrggghhh
:negative:
You need to follow some video tutorials created specifically for your software. Maya is an incredibly robust software that allows for different approaches and ways to model things, different people prefer different functions to achieve similar result. At first you have to learn what everything does but you'll end up actually using just a small % of what you see on the screen right now.

There's really no shortcut you can take here, you need to put in dozens of hours of work into things that will look like absolute garbage at first. Each 3D program differs enough to have its own workflow and then you'll have different workflows for different types of objects and even different workflows for different types of uses of the object.

For example as part of my job I create 3D architectural models and there's a different workflow I have when I model things for visualization purposes and a different workflow when I actually design a building. I could not tell you what workflow is good for working on 3D assets for games or 3D models for film or 3D models for still images because all of them differ so much from one another and from what I do.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Every video with dialogue from Andromeda is like something corn in the bible would post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDit1WO12fs

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While we talk about Naughty Dog - an animator from Naughty Dog who also worked on ME 1+2 tweeted about ME:A animation issues. It's interesting:

quote:

Every encounter in Uncharted is unique & highly controlled because we create highly-authored 'wide' linear stories with bespoke animations. Conversely, RPGs offer a magnitude more volume of content and importantly, player/story choice. It's simply a quantity vs quality tradeoff.

In Mass Effect 1 we had over 8 hrs of facial performance. In Horizon Zero Dawn they had around 15. Player expectations have only grown. As such, designers (not animators) sequence pre-created animations together - like DJs with samples and tracks.

Because time denotes not every scene is equally possible, dialogues are separated into tiered quality levels based on importance/likelihood. The lowest quality scenes may not even be touched by hand. To cover this, an algorithm is used to generate a baseline quality sequence.

Mass Effect 1-3 populated default body 'talking' movement, lip-sync and head movement based on the dialogue text. The Witcher 3 added to this with randomly selected body gestures that could be regenerated to get better results.

Andromeda seems to have lowered the quality of it's base algorithm, resulting in the 'My face is tired' meme featuring nothing but lip-sync. This, presumably, was because they planned to hit every line by hand. But a 5-year dev cycle shows they underestimated this task. Were I to design a conversation system now, I'd push for a workflow based on fast and accessible face & body capture rather than algorithms. While it hasn't 100% proved this method, Horizon Zero Dawn's better scenes succeed due to a use of facial mocap.

The one positive to come out of all this is that AAA story-heavy games can't skimp on the animation quality with a systemic approach alone. The audience has grown more discerning, which makes our job more difficult but furthers animation quality (and animators) as a requirement.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ImpAtom posted:

The best critics, I think, enjoy discussing things. They're there to expression their opinion but want to discuss it. Ebert was great for this in that he genuinely had things to say and wanted to say them to you and he had a way with words to go with his critical eye. If you're criticizing just to be snarky, or to call people dumb, or whatever then you're not enjoying discussing things and rarely are able to expand your own knowledge with other's thoughts.
The same could be said about posting. If only more people understood the value of actually talking about games vs the worthlessness of presenting their egos through talking about games. They'd wake up anew like Neo in the human farm tank in the Matrix.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

corn in the bible posted:

Thinking of getting a PS4 this summer. Is this good idea and if so what should I play on it (note that I don't have a good computer so crossplatform stuff is fine)
Bloodborne, Nier, Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn are probably the best what the platform has to offer. The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 if you're ok with a more mainstream games. Mass Effect: Andromeda for the Law&Order experience.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lol I knew you'd get a kick out of ME:A.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They should just call it World at War 2.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Call of Duty 1

:dukedoge:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Andrast posted:

With mods Skyrim has literally everything
I definitely remember seeing a Fallout 3 mod that let you have a ghoul harem in one of the Bethesda mods threads and I bet there's a Skyrim equivalent.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh no, somebody mentioned the inverted Y axis.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I use my transformer gamepad for everything:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A game simulating the life of a letsplayer. loving finally.

quote:

Be the ultimate GAMER and become famous on U-TUBE universe. Manage your channel! Play tons of fun minigames! Destroy the 7 evil streamers to get your crush! Build an empire in your room! This is the LET'S PLAYER STORY!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lol, new best death screen after Spec Ops: The Line.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Franchescanado posted:

Is Dying Light any good? It looks like Dead Island, which was fun for an hour and then became boring and monotonous.
Dying Light is what Dead Island was supposed to be. It has a really fun mix of melee combat, decapitation, extreme day/night cycle and parkour. At first you'll be running from the zombies so they made running cool and then somewhere in the middle you'll start one-hit decapitating things so they made that cool too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't want your games
It's just fun to write like this
Nier Automata

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Best way to kill a Sim was to make him bake a pizza and then imprison him at the oven behind an impenetrable bar stool fence.

It looked something like this:

But on fire.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

It is really, really good, but be warned that the game is not afraid to do said ripping and tearing and if you are like me and have a huge heart, lots more ripping and tearing will happen and it will not be good for you
Cool, the "bad" TW3 ending was the best one imo so I'm looking forward to N:A even more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lakbay posted:

When I got the bad ending in base TW3, I looked up where I screwed up and I knew what exactly I did wrong and thought it was fair I got it. I got the bad ending in B&W and I got pissed because I only got the bad ending because I didn't read some journal entries :argh:

Maybe
Yeah, the B&W ending can get screwed easily and in order to get the GOOD good ending you have to pick up an option that is the opposite of what you'd like to achieve, it's not cool.

The bad ending in the main game was really properly built up too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cowcaster posted:

the last time a platinum game tried to make me feel guilt for cutting up robots was metal gear rising revengeance when the sai robot wearing a derby hat activated my emotions chip or something and buddy if you think that slowed me down from cracking open dumbasses for their spine juice for even a second you'd be mistaken
Frankly if I'm not aware that the thug whose guts I'm slicing up into ribbons wass a good and loving daddy then it's not as satisfying to kill him. Which is why Dishonored 2 is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.
Your friend is bullshitting you. One of the endings of one of the DLCs lets you get hints about how to get the good ending in the main game if you finish said DLC before finishing the main game but that's it, there's no direct influence on the main game's endings.

• Locked thread