Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

Ideally it would have none. And no NPCs for that matter.

e: oh poo poo the IRS should not have deposited my tax refund at midnight now I am tempted to buy so many games

e2: ah gently caress it I'll just get Death Road to Canada, got enough big AAA games unfinished still

e3: first person to ask me nicely in haiku form gets a free Steam game (seriously, not kidding here!)

Spend responsibly

Don't use up all your refund.

Save some for your bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The explosive golf ball is a pretty good way to deal with Caruso as long as you keep the golf instructor out of the way, and dropping a stalactite on Francesca is definitely quicker than the private eye thing.
If you didn't know, it doesn't matter if the targets' bodies are found if it's an accident kill.

Is the former considered an accident

If so, how??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I love that guy that shields the cat from the rain because it undermines Monsoon's entire point about how soldiers have to be cold and unfeeling and repress their emotions because letting them out and showing weakness makes you weak- and how we are controlled by our emotions whether they're being suppressed or not. While he's goin on about all this bullshit, dude sees a cat and he's like "I will help you my friend".

Did the cat dude get killed during that whole kerfuffle

I hope not

cause he likes cats and you can't be bad *and* like cats

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The lead up to fighting Blind in LttP is great and I wish Blind was playable in Hyrule Warriors because he owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Ys is a fun action adventure game that happens to have embarrassingly bad plots, characters, and art direction

like, deviantart levels of poo poo

it's weird I like the games a lot too but at the same time I'm very lukewarm about everything Ys that doesn't involve the music or the gameplay

Ys has cool, simple plots with simple characters that accomplish what they need to do and I like it for that.

I also like how ys 6 tried to tie stuff together and that, since then, falcom seemed to be trying to build up the greater lore of the series with hints here and there tying the various games together. Not in any major way, but in more of an "oh, this is a reference to _____" or "oh, ______ is from ______" kind of way. Playing through several of the games and picking up on these small connections between all of Adol's adventures is a fun experience, especially since (at least in the 4 or so games I played), it isn't spelled out for you, it's stuff you'd have to work out on your own.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody, what's everyone up to? Any exciting plans for today/the weekend?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never do anything

My fiancee might do something and she likes bringing me along with her when she goes to do stuff, but me, nah, I've got nothing to do so I'll probably just be sitting around playing games and sleeping and thinking about things I could be doing but never actually doing them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, I got a free copy of superhot the other night from some steam code giveaway by some company. I beat it yesterday and I had a lot of fun with it and I hope the others who eventually get to try it have at least some kind of fun with it :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My fiancee has a job interview coming up for a position that pays $14 an hour and I am **really** hoping she gets it because that'd be fuckin rad to have income again, then we could save up for a car, and other things!!

Then when I get on disability in however many months that's going to take for the court hearing to arrive, I can pay bills with that money and let KCB spend her money on fun stuff she wants to buy and I can put most of my stuff into savings & bills except maybe a little bit on some video games, board games, and books. Maybe going to goodwill so I can own more than 2 shirts and 1 pair of pants :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At this point I just want valve to make something, anything, that isn't hats.

I don't think they have much of a reason to, though, since they make enough money just doing what they're doing now lol

though it's weird to me that they'll let indie devs use their name for their games, like, you'd think Gabe N wouldn't want to be associated with something like this http://store.steampowered.com/app/407420/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I've tried playing Chrono Trigger a few times now and I dislike it as much as I dislike all JRPGs.

e: I like the music though.

What didn't you like about chrono trigger if you don't mind me asking?

It's okay to not like things, I'm not trying to make you rethink your opinion, I'm just curious is all.

I like rpgs and chrono trigger is up there along with live-a-live, shadow hearts covenant, skies of arcadia, planescape torment, and terranigma for me (not in any particular order).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wish you could change my opinion on it, because I know there's a lot of great games out there (including Chrono Trigger) that just bore me and I wish I could enjoy them like other people do.

In that case, how do you feel about about the Ys games?

Lurdiak posted:

The only way to make something like random encounters interesting is if they are truly random in the sense that they can be something other than just combat, like Fallout 1 and 2's map encounters.

I like random encounters in dungeon crawlers like etrian odyssey where the battles are treated as a puzzle, or in shadow hearts covenant where the fights are fun so I don't mind getting into them since it is slightly more involved than just "mash buttons." There are dungeon crawlers and jrpgs that don't have random encounters though like legend of grimrock and mario RPGs and they work there, as well, tho. In etrian odyssey, I think the random encounters exist as more of a means to discourage the player from going too far down without first exploring and leveling up so that you can deal with the obstacles further in like the traps, FOEs, and bosses.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I've never played any of them but I hear they have more Zelda-like combat. Is the series a continuous story or are they separate like Final Fantasies are? Is there a best one to start with?

The stories are self-contained and generally pretty light, the standard ys story follows the same plot of "adol goes to place, place has mysterious past, people doin some poo poo to gently caress up the place, adol tries to stop bad guys from fuckin up place while learning more about the place's past." There are some bits and pieces connecting the games together (some recurring characters aside from the main character Adol, and there is a kind of overarching lore to the series that isn't shoved in your face but you might start picking up on if you've played multiple games in the series) but other than those, they're very standalone.

It's comparable to a topdown zelda game, but with less emphasis on puzzles. There are puzzles, but they tend to be more along the lines of "find key" or "get key item to get past gate" rather than zelda's more complicated dungeons.

Good ys games to start with would be Ys Origins, Ys 6 Ark of Napishtim, or Ys Oath in Felghana. All three of those are on steam. Ys 1 & 2 are also on steam, but aren't very representative of the playstyle of modern games in the series because Ys 1 & 2 were made during a time when the devs couldn't make a game with more than a few inputs happening at a time, so instead of trying to figure out a way to incorporate an attack button, they just made it so you do damage to enemies by running into them. They kept this for the remakes so you would be running around enemies and bosses, trying to hit them at an angle in order to avoid hitting them head on and taking damage.

Here's a vid of a modern Ys boss fight. It'll let you know if you'd be interested in them or not.

Ys 6 first boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDM-IKuacM

Ys Origins second boss fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6vi-0XkQ8g

Note: those are on nightmare mode where the game gets...well, way more difficult obviously lol. On normal difficulties they're not bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

please don't buy ys vi if you buy any ys, it's kind of bad

unfortunate cause it has the best soundtrack and is one of the two ys vi engine games to have dogi, but it is very badly designed and frustrating

still... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk

Ys 6 is pretty good, just with 1 very annoying frustrating part that you have to do twice (that one specific jump in the Ruins of Amnesia. You know the one). It's rough compared to Oath in Felghana and Origins, but it's still a good game, and it was my first ys game (specifically the ps2 release) and it's pretty fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sup everyone. I'm bored, trying to keep busy. Was thinking of streaming a game but none of my buds are up for a call so instead I think I'm gonna play some Legend of Grimrock 1 since I never beat that game.

How's everybody's night going?

Grapplejack posted:

no one has done anything fun or creative for April Fools for years.
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/847913284971896832

Oh come now, it's all in good fun and there are plenty of neat or interesting things that happen with april fools day, like the pac-man google maps stuff or the youtube snoop 360 vids.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Seriously. 100FRB devs were on GiantBomb a few months ago and the GB guys were having a real hard time not giving away how loving bored they were with the game.

Got a link to it, or any highlights or anything?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Holy poo poo really? God drat I have got to get out of this hospital roooooom AAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's a free game called 8-bit bayonetta where you just shoot at enemies marching at you to try to get a high score. It's an april fools thing. The achievements apparently have a url hidden in them that links to a bayonetta countdown that ends on the 11th so that's probably when the actual bayonetta pc port gets announced.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

The night has been fine. Been playing a lot of Horizon lately. This past week has been poo poo for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I got laid off on Thursday. 3 times in 3 years makes it a hat trick, I guess. Friends don't let friends work in the games industry. Don't do startups, kids.

Oof, sorry to hear about the layoff :( what happened this time? Or are you under NDA so you can't discuss it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bayonetta with a Glados costume where the wicked weaves are portals with long fall boots coming out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

But imagine this: instead of that lame nonsense, it's Bowser's fist

That's what I was basing the idea off of

The Colonel posted:

actually the only costume is going to be a ricochet costume and it will just change your pistols so bayonetta throws discs now

Also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m8Yi9qu_o

I wish there was an english release of la pucelle tactics that wasn't censored lol, I know the censorship doesn't matter but it was such a dumb and silly thing

robot roll call posted:

I wonder if Nintendo was willing to let go and it will be Bayonetta 1 and 2, that would be cool

Why would nintendo let go of something they funded the development of?

• Locked thread