Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

But... but where else would you keep a Gameboy Pocket?!

In the pocket behind the drivers seat in mom's minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

J2DK posted:

I really wish the switch was compatible with older controllers, but then again, Microsoft and Sony consoles don't use old controllers either.

Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony actually improve their controllers with each iteration. The gamecube was the first and last comfortable controller Nintendo made.

Jk, the pad for the virtual boy was p good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

wiimote and nunchuck is the most comfortable dgaf gaming ever, hands at sides chill as gently caress

Eh, i naturally sit with my hands on my thighs. I can see where you're coming from but a more comfortable grip for te wiimote wouldve been nice for the wiiu. Its not like you could make holding it sideways more awkward.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I played the new Torment for about an hour and a half, and the writing is really fatiguing. Everyone sounds like they're reading from the same undergrad's philosophy midterm essay, using synonymous adjectives every few lines to increase the word count

Of course, maybe I find it fatiguing because I'm tired

I mean, I got the same kind of feeling from the trailer alone. All I could think was "If Obsidian were up there own asses and had no college graduate writers or editors."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fridge corn posted:

FFXV is bad because it's a mess of a rushed half-of-a-game with terrible characters, terrible writing, a wonky battle system, and an open world that is too small and insanely bland.

So it's a jrpg.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Zone of Enders had an awesome Box set for ps3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Outside of shrines (which generally have walls that are too slick to climb) you can climb just about anything.

This owns and is 100% something ive dreamed about since playing Oblivion

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Agreed.

I don't have the patience to watch all of the videos, but I'm assuming the comparisons show more freedom and more physics in Zelda or something? Because, well, no poo poo. That's the whole point. Zelda has cool physics stuff because that's what they decided to base the majority of the puzzles around and it's a huge part of the game in a way that it isn't in Horizon. Meanwhile, Horizon's combat runs rings around Zelda's in complexity and variety. Zelda's combat is good, probably better than it's ever been (in no small part owing to the variety in enemy behaviors and the huge number of ways you can take enemies out), but Horizon's is so fluid, yet frantic and fast-paced, that it's really hard to compare.

Also, Zelda's pretty, but Horizon is stupid pretty. I've just stopped and stared at nothing but the landscape in Horizon a few times--when I do that in Zelda, it's because I'm looking for somewhere to go, but in Horizon, it's because I just want to soak in how pretty it is.

I think the Zelda and Horizon comparison is interesting because it really brings forth the graphics vs gameplay debate in a new light. Graphics and Physics engines have both developed to the point where you can't have the best of both worlds.

The first example in those videos is grass but there's a couple interesting things to pinpoint.
1. For every blade of grass in zelda, there's at least 100 in Horizon.
2. The grass flattens before Link steps on it when it's short, which shows that the physics properties were created for the tall grass specifically

Something specificaly disingenuous about the comparisons though, is the camera focus. Horizon's focus is on the world itself, and the angle of the camera reflects that. You can see in the videos that the uploader has to constantly adjust the camera to keep it focused on the girl.
Meanwhile, Zelda is focused on Link interacting with the world. Likewise the Camera focused on Link in the center as the focal point.

As a result, I recall beautiful mountains in Horizon, none in Zelda. I recall the zigzag white stripe on Link's red bandana, and the girl in Horizon has a blue or green hair thing?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Shadow Of War's entire writeup ad gameplay video today sounds good on paper--more orc rpg poo poo, armies, fort defense, etc---but I can't help but feel I won't give a poo poo if the combat is still infant-level. The previous game became a joke like 1/3 in wherein I had to start deliberately not upgrading my poo poo or I'd be able to kill everything effortlessly. the sequel badly needs to take it down several notches because things get boring really quick when you're overpowered as gently caress.

Any improvements to the nemesis system would help with this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

not even dueling peaks?? or mount lanaryu. or death mountain. i dunno hoss i'm constantly just stopping to look at vistas and lakes and ruins and such in zelda

Im talking about what i remember from the videos specifically. I havent played either.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

FirstAidKite you are one of the best posters in the games chat thread and perhaps the entire games subforum, you are not a burden on anyone.

FAK helped Lurdiak make a good post with good opinions.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fridge corn posted:

As someone who regularly reads actual literature, I have serious doubts that any visual novel could reach a similar level of quality.

Also I don't like anime.

Good visual Novels are very similar to Lone Wolf/Goosebumps CYOA books imo, but instead of action it's interpersonal relations and drama. Though likewise, bad ones are just as bad, if not worse than bad CYOA books.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the best part is the baby managing to bounce their chair thing in there.

As for Graphics talk, Fallout 4 has been the most recent one for me. I decided my computer could sound like a jet turbine for a bit while I tested out max settings.

Man I don't think they're worth it, but godrays are just so insanely cool.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

show them your sword

I doubt he could hide it if he wanted to

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao just heard a short story on npr about that video where the kids interrupt the video.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

If you have the patience for or genuinely like 4x Sins of a Solar Empire, Age of Wonders 3, and Endless Legend are all fun and have different approaches to the 4x formula.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rather play a game set in a vanilla Tolkien setting than a game set in a Tolkien setting but elves have antenna and green skin and dwarves are called Bompkos there's like 2 or 3 original races.

Obviously something genuinely original is best.

So you're saying you prefer Oblivion to Morrowind?

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really want to get into a huge argument/discussion over Mass Effect because look at how the actual Mass Effect thread has turned out, but admittedly the premise for Andromeda is kind of goofy. It all starts off before the whole Reaper thing really goes public so basically there's no real pressure for anyone to launch a one-way 600 year trip into an entirely new galaxy when there's still a ton of unexplored, unsettled space in the Milky Way galaxy...seriously, an entire galaxy is very, very big...so basically the whole thing is "we're going to seal ourselves in a spaceship, acknowledge the fact that everyone we know who isn't coming along on this trip will be many hundreds of years dead by the time we wake up, hope that in 600 years nothing goes wrong on the other end (or that all these golden worlds we've staked out wind up already colonized by native civilizations), and we're doing this, uhhhhhhh, because we can?"

Like there's plenty of potential for an interesting story to come out of a mission comprised of people willing to cut ties with their homeworlds, civilizations, and loved ones on a journey of no return, but (and I admit I haven't really been keeping super close tabs on things) nothing I've seen in any of the preview stuff really makes it seem like they've put that much thought into it.

I think what bothers me the most about Andromeda's story setup is that it's absolutely perfect for a survival game, a sim management/politics game, a detective game. But it's really just an unnecessarily grandiose setting for another 3rd person shooter whose gameplay will most likely focus on murdering native species and destroying archaeological finds before any experts exist, let alone can get there to study the place.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Like imagine some of the trailers only instead of Mass Effect it's "Dead Space: Andromeda"

I know I'd be on the hype train.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I've never bought a bioware game at release or for full price and I will continue this trend. I'd rather drop the dough for a ps4 just for HZD instead of getting Andromeda at full price.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Musical theory is supposedly very mathematical at the core (I don't have any knowledge about it and could very well be talking at my rear end) but I can imagine the real magic is getting a good musician well-versed in music theory who is also a good coder. Putting it all together - that can't be easy.

The one thing I didn't see is if the DropMix gameboard (or whatever you call that card playing field) can ouput audio to an external source. I got a big receiver that's just DYING to blast those mixes at high volume.

It connects via bluetooth to tablets/phones. So as long as you can connect to said device via aux or bluetooth you're golden.

I like that in the twitch stream one of the guys said he thought a DJ was playing a set, but it was actually people playing the game once he went round the corner. I was sold as soon as I heard The Weekend singing with some guitar riffs and A Tribe called Quest's beats. That and the gorgeous art on those cards.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe the leads on Andromeda all suffer from undiagnosed cases of face blindness and this is a cry for help?

Imho it looks like they're using source filmmaker to cut costs for cutscenes.

Idk about a game that's g1f5. But Vampires Kiss is one of my favourite movies of all time, it's the epitome of a Nicolas Cage movie.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

God drat I wish.

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet? I suspect fully half of the people who wrote articles like that had never seen Citizen Kane, and the other half had no idea what makes Citizen Kane important and just use it as shorthand for "something good and important."

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Basically youtubers have the attention span of

3 seconds in: stops watching and posts about sjws ruining games

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Oddly related to current discussion. Google rewards just asked me if i watched all of that wipeout video posted earlier.:tinfoil:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wasnt there a chao garden in one of the gba/ds games?

With the success of Fire Emblem Heroes, now is the perfect time for a mobile chao game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
MGSV is the best Sniping game, especially because of the E-Cigar.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just spent hours doin what offline testing i could to fix my computer since the start menu would stop working, steam wouldnt connect and no browser worked.

Use cmd to make a new user, everything works. All that time i couldve been gaming and drinking. Wtf windows.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Castle Ravenloft is a game I have no idea how to play and I would like to learn the rules of it before I try teaching it to others (because, I mean, duh), and I hope to one day have money so that I can purchase all of the other board games I've suddenly found out about that I think look interesting, such as:

boss monsters, quarriors, kemet, scythe, theseus the dark orbit, tiny epic western, tiny epic galaxies, ra, neuroshima hex, 51st state, imperial settlers, onitama, millennium blades, mega man pixel tactics, dead men tell no tales, north wind, ticket to ride pennsylvania, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there are too many I want to get and not enough money to get any!!!!! >:[

I know it's more than you like to spend, but Neuroshima Hex has an android version that plays fairly similar to the real deal, just more predictable opponents. Havent played the ticket to ride app. But i have to say, i like being able to spend 2 or 3 bucks to mess around with a board game concept. Especially since I know there's plenty of cool concepts that end up being meh and collect dust or a 60 dollar doorstop.

Cosmic Encounters is my favourite board game in my limited board game experience.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of smart device so apps are right out, and while owning virtual things is nice, I also like having physical copies I can bring with me since I feel like they provide a bit more "oomph" if that makes sense.

I haven't played cosmic encounter, and I only know 2 things about it.

1. I've heard it is a very funny game with friends for the first 20 minutes and then it turns into a boring timesink where the same thing happens over and over for the rest of the game until somebody wins.
2. The tabletop simulator trailer for the official cosmic encounter dlc is absolutely one of the worst trailers I've seen for a game ever.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405130/

Ah fair.

Imho cosmic isone of the best games ive played in terms of getting what you put into it. There's different ways to set up what aliens you use that can really change how the game unfolds and its pace. The expacs also nicely maintain the base games design decision of having simple rule that can be significantly altered by the aliens. That said, i can totally understand point 1. My family i play with are all about rules abuse, from chess to DnD, so it really fits us.

That vid is hilarious tho.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Since y'all briefly mentioned it, I just want to chime in and say I love cook, Serve, Delicious. And even though I really don't play it, I payed for it just because how close it gets to the frantic stress of working in a restaurant. The only thing really missing is a "will to live" meter that never actually goes above 0.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

What I'm gathering here is that Paper Sorcerer is a great game everybody should play and finish.

It's an average rpg with mad style. Fun concept(i personally love playing as monsters), neat art direction, and pretty good music.
https://youtu.be/GUnLxr_28rs

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like my coworkers approach to Andromeda. The gun customization lets him use the ME1 style overheat meter(1is his fave) and he has a low->middling pc so he says the game would look bad regardless. I miss being that optimistic about games.

But i guess 4 years of dota will do that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think I'd give Breath of the Wild a solid second aesthetically to Wind Waker. It's absolutely fantastic, don't get me wrong--it has really strong character designs, this wonderful sort of watercolor look to the environments, great weather effects, and it uses music very effectively. Wind Waker's just so wonderfully inviting, though, and I love the cartoony and stylized enemy and boss designs, too.

The whole reason I haven't played Twilight Princess HD yet is because I don't think its visual style has aged well at all and I'm not sure I want to look at it for the full duration of a Zelda game. I'm shallow like that.

Part of what for me makes Windwaker so good in regards to its art style is Link himself. In all the other games(havent played botw but judging on videos) he's a really blank character action wise even though he's visually unique. In Windwaker he has more personality in his eyes alone than most game protagonists. This moves him away from the weird individual/player insert limbo he's normally in and the game is much better for it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Learning moves from Skeleton Not-Link was rad. The ruppee armor was pretty cool too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Twilight Princess is a great game with a few glaring problems. They're not as bad as the horrendous problems of Skyward Sword, but I can understand someone getting really annoyed by them.

The most glaring problem, even in my rose tinted sight, was the lack of difficulty. Not just that the game was easy, but that even the bonus challenge dungeon was easier than hitting Orca 500 times in WW.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Obligatory
Zelder? I 'ardly know 'er!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

492 hours is enough time to get a graduate degree

So i could have almost 5 degrees if i traded my dota time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Just think... Instead of getting a graduate degree, you could be playing Mass Effect multiplayer

Much more economic and just as useful for getting that job at the library.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The m1 garand owns. The last CoD game i bought was a ww2 game and i might actually contemplate getting the new CoD unlike the previous entries. Probably wont get it though. Plenty of mp f2p fps games for me to get the 6 hours a year I desire of that kind of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of mass effect. Thinking of trying 2 again after I dropped it. Most fun/broken class? Things I should skip?

• Locked thread