Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think it's important to bring up games that no one else is talking about - even if no one bites, it adds variety to the discussion and sometimes to funny posts. And best case scenario you let someone know that they should play this thing they've never heard of.

Speaking of, everyone in here has played Brigador, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

ok inspired by esteemed forums poster and mod VideoGames I've decided to just tackle my backlog by going through whichever games I haven't really played and give them a six-hour or so fair shake. If I like them, I'll keep playing. If I don't, I'll quit.

Here's the list if anyone cares:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PdVsLFhM1Wy6cKGSQjAMBrAvCEHI36S-bGTmZ0UQqAk/edit?usp=sharing

beep boop have some opinions

Banner Saga: it has a third and final installment coming out, if you need an excuse to put them off, wait until it's out.
Transistor: Forget Bastion, treat this as a strategy game instead of a click 'em up action game. Also the story is very love it or hate it material.
System Shock 2: a good time, have fun!
Thief 1: you might wanna watch an LP of this and jump to Thief 2 instead. It's got some pretty terrible levels in it - and a few good ones, but yeah. The plot is still good though.
World of Goo: this one is good and relatively short! Especially compared to the entire Witcher trilogy, which will occupy you for the next year if you love it enough to go through all three of them. (if you don't dig Witcher 1 or 2, just jump to 3, it's good)

Also for some of them - World of Goo, Osmos - I'd advise using them as breaks inbetween other games instead of trying to blitz them all at once. At least that's how I do it, because doing a puzzle game in one sitting is too much for me.

Anyways, have fun! I'm genuinely jealous that you're playing some of these for the first time. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that my girlfriend's library is something I'll do after I'm done my own. Games like Banner Saga, Witcher 3, and Deus Ex will come later. My computer can't really play Witcher 3 but I put it on the list anywho.

I think Corn in the Bible got it so it looked and played like a PSX game, but I don't know how they did that.

e: That might have been Shadow of Mordor. It's been a while since the screenshots were posted.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I played through the entirety of EYE a couple years ago and to this day I am still not sure if I had fun or not.

edit: which is not a good thing for me, but maybe it will be for you

I never made it beyond the first level after you reach the hub as I was terrible with shooters (and still am tbh) but I really, really appreciated the ambiance and lore the game threw at me, so it was absolutely a worthwhile experience. Someday I hope to return and figure out how to get good at shooting so I can see the rest of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy shitsnacks, I just beat The Challenge in The Witness and so I've platted two games in a single evening.

Where do I sign up to become a pro gamer

:eyepop: Congratulations!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm trying to get some sleep, but I played a bunch of Root Double tonight and it's scratching the same itch the Zero Escape series does for me so I'm really happy with it!

...Which is to say I think there's psychic time travel involved but it's still too early to tell what twists are gonna show up. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it tomorrow!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Visual novel chat:

I've been playing Root Double and I love it so far. It's got an interesting system where instead of standard vn choices, you decide if you trust/like a given character in any specific situation. This leads to basic game overs like deciding you're clearly more competent than this rescue worker, so you run into the burning room, get your hair caught on fire, panic, run into a fire hose's stream, and get thrown into a wall and die due to a head injury.

Which is to say it's dumb and hilarious, but I really like how it works? It helps that the game tells you "you died because you set the trust-o-meter like this. Don't do that." when you get gameovers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Mario RPG is one of the all time great JRPGs along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, discuss.

What's to discuss? You're right.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

xedo posted:

I keep hearing about Ever17 and Remember11 - is there any legit way to get those games? Any digital distribution at all?

Import the games from Japan, then apply the fanmade patches. Other than that, nope, sorry. :(

I'd say that they're worth it, but play the Zero Escape series first, as well as Root Double. Those games will tell you better than anyone else if you're interested in reading their earlier works.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finally found a configuration for Spelunky's controls so I can play it comfortably! :woop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

is the configuration to always have run on

No!

...But I'm still good at throwing a bomb, having it bounce off a wall and knock me out so I can't move before it blows me up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

i would suggest always having run on

Is this an actually good thing to do? As in, good at helping me survive so I can get further into the game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on what makes you comfortable but a lot of people have said it improves their gameplay once they get used to it.

Then I'll give it a shot, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spelunky: always run is like having rocket boots attached to my feet! :flashfact:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

well i do it and i've gotten speedlunky/low scorer. here's the most important thing you can do in spelunky i think:

Kill All Shopkeepers because the shotgun alone is insanely useful on top of the amount of free items you get. it'll take a lot lot lot of practice to get good enough to take them on though. here's how i usually get the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oCvmP4tuo&t=115s

Thanks! I'm slowly getting used to rocket mode Spelunky - the levels sure do zoom by. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This is an actual for-real tactic.

Get used to killing shopkeepers and when it is a good idea to do so. The risk represented by an angry shopkeeper is often far outstripped by the reward of free items and to get to the last true area and the 'real' final boss you basically must kill Shopkeepers or get lucky.

I killed a giant spider with my new turbo running powers and it was great!

...Then I tried to kill a shopkeeper and put the bomb too close to him and he ramboed me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've been going between Spelunky and Root Double tonight and having a good time! They're good games, even if it's time for Root Double to stop taunting me and just give me some freaking answers already. (...Also I need to relax about trying to get all of the bad endings, but.... I like completing things, especially when they're easy like visual novels. Just hit skip scene a bunch, pick the right choices, bam, I'm dead again!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Eh it might just be one of those things:

I just spent several minutes trying to make her spin the other way around and I couldn't do it. :cripes:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Look at the lower foot and its reflection and focus on it, that's usually a good way to do it

Got it, thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Ughhhh today just got really loving lovely really loving fast. Does anyone have any funny or cute video suggestions for me to help cheer me up

Do you follow the Cute Thread over at PYF? It's the best thread in the forums, bar none.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/840409171069698048

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

So by this metric, Super Monkey Ball is a 10/10 and The Witcher 3 maybe like a 5/10 because I only got halfway through.

Witcher 3: 2/10 because I made it out of the first zone and killed the gryphon but haven't gotten much beyond that yet.

Mini Metro 10/10 because I got every achievement and zoned out to this and had a blast with it.

Okay, seems to check out! :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What....what am I looking at? Aside from motion sickness central?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Quake Champions. It's... It might be good you guys...

Oh! I hope it is good, even if it's not my kind of game. :D

I was all worried when the "Quake's back!" announcement dropped with some kind of Overwatch-style heroes-first "are they making a moba" stuff, as that's...not what Quake is. So if it's good, great!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Basically, I'm real dumb. But I'm working with what I got.

Congratulations on figuring out what was going on with you and managing it so you can still ace the class stuff!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Please send help I can't stop playing Spelunky

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You sound perfectly healthy to me :confused:

I keep dying in the jungle :saddowns:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You can beat it. I believe in you.

Thanks! With practice I am getting better at not dying when a frog looks at me funny.

Help Im Alive posted:

The spelunky secret: kill shopkeepers/sacrifice damsels/start from the beginning instead of using the shortcuts

I've managed to kill a shopkeeper precisely once so far, so... again, practice will make perfect. .... I also didn't know you could sacrifice damsels, so, uh, I guess I'll try that?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The teleporter is the worst item I've picked up in this game by far :mad:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finally made it to the Ice Caves in Spelunky!

...and found out what the yetis do. By being flung into a row of mines. :rip:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andrast posted:

Star wars is in fact sci fi

It's fantasy with a sci-fi backdrop

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Almost nothing is sci-fi if the metric is that it needs to be based on real science.

It's less that it needs to be directly grounded in scientific findings, and more that it needs to be plausible. Lightsabers just don't make any goddamned sense, let alone the force, and it really works more as a fantasy story told with starships instead of boats.

...So, soft sci-fi.

Andrast posted:

Also known as sci-fi

Soft sci-fi.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is the dumbest argument I've ever been involved with on the internet. :allears:

Andrast posted:

which is a subgenre of sci-fi

Technically true!

...Speaking of, I wish more games were set in space/were sci-fi, because it's just so much more interesting than "here's more forests and fields for you to tramp around in, complete with swords and sorcery" and I know fantasy can be well done, but it's just the most boring stock setting you can get these days.

I say, fully aware that sci-fi games usually consist of endless gray corridors. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You guys pretty much have it right - original, creative settings are best, but video games tend not to go for those. So I'm much happier with the stock sci-fi settings in a pinch, as even if they're just reskinned dwarves and elves, they tend to have weirder things going on in them? I mean, even if it's just Star Trek (soft sci-fi at its finest) then at least you get neat lookin' ships and ridiculous lookin' aliens.

Also yeah there haven't been very many rpgs set in sci-fi or real world settings, so - please. I'm happy to be getting Nier and so on, but more, more, more - !

(It's me, I'm the one who wants Cyberpunk 2077 to be a megahit and spawn a million sequels long before we get more Witcher stuff. Witcher's cool, cyberpunk is cooler!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Red Bones posted:

What about Watch Dogs and all those modern shooty FPSes?

I agree though, contemporary settings are fun. I'm not a soldier and I don't free roam around town engaging with my environment purely via cutscenes, carjacking and armed murder, either, so most of the current 'real world' setting games don't really resonate with my experiences of the real world very much, which is one of the fun things that real-world settings in games do sometimes.

Aaand that would be the problem with sci-fi/contemporary settings and rpgs. Gamedevs take the fact that we have guns and immediately turn things into a FPS when it doesn't need to be one. (Mass Effect goes here)

...Hey, would the Yakuza series go here as a good rpg-esque kind of contemporary setting for a game? As I understand it there's a lot you can do in the game aside from punching people, and the writing seems pretty snappy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yakuza: a good rpg, then! Hopefully they'll put it on Steam so I can play it!

...and on a different note, the tunnel dude won't open up a shortcut to the ice caves unless I bring him a shotgun, so I guess I'm going to have to really practice my shopkeeper killing skills.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/_watsu/status/840267175193661440

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The shopkeepers in Spelunky are kicking me all over the level :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Is there a game sorta like civ5 but not totally just about going to war with everyone, and has a bit more politics and trade like crusader kings 2?

Europa Universalis IV, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Is Breitbart reputable? I am continuing operating under the assumption that this poo poo is not normal or good.

If someone thinks it's reputable, that's a massive warning sign for you that you're talking to a nazi or nazi sympathizer.

• Locked thread