Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was tempted to get a PS4 Pro, but yeah, unless you have a 4k TV or monitor (and I don't) there's just no reason to. Some games run a bit better and games like Nioh will have differences that are noticeable even on a 1080p display (specifically, Performance Mode can reach 1080p on the Pro and 720p on the standard PS4), but there's no way that's enough of a reason to upgrade to a Pro if you already have a PS4.

If you don't already have a PS4 and you want to get one, you might as well get a Pro, I'd guess. The Slim is definitely cheaper but if you think there's a chance you might get a 4k display at some point in the next few years, a Pro isn't that much more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone buying a second PS4 instead of a Switch is an unwise gamer.

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't go for the PS4 Pro when I considered it a couple months ago.

Now if I could just actually find a Switch...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That is not the game I would hang my RPG-tolerance on.

Yeah, I love FF12 IZJS, but it's, uh, it's real big and real slow. Granted it has a fast forward button now, but still. Again, I'll defend FF12 all day long, I think it's awesome, but it's way in the deep end of JRPG.

Actually SMT4 Apocalypse would probably be a better "do I still like JRPGs in general?" test. Maybe Persona 5 but if you have a low tolerance for high school anime stuff or if you just in general don't want to have much "downtime" between the parts where you explore and fight monsters a Persona game is probably not the one for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I was 10 when Chrono Trigger came out. I used to love jrpgs and as a child I watched a lot of anime, but I no longer have any tolerance for it. Besides, Chrono Trigger is pretty inoffensive in its animeness

Do you have a 3DS? SMT4 (and apparently Apocalypse, though I haven't played it yet) are really great and are pretty good modern JRPGs with a limited amount of bullshit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I call a lot of things "anime bullshit" when they me think of the kind of thing I'd expect to see in the kind of anime I'd have watched in college (which was the last time I watched much anime at all). But it's not a precise term and also there are multiple kinds of anime bullshit, and also it isn't necessarily a negative term to me. I don't enjoy Neptunia's brand of anime bullshit but I do enjoy Xenosaga's kind of "everything is symbolic and you can bet someone is literally Jesus" anime bullshit even though both are about equal on the scale of how bullshit and/or how ~*~anime~*~ they are.

So anyway that's my lack of contribution to the discussion, thank you for reading

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it weird that I find Lurdiak and ImpAtom's periodic fights kind of entertaining?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

The concept of anyone enjoying Xenosaga is mystifying to me

Don't worry, I'm baffled by it, too. Looking back I have no idea how I sat through Xenosaga 2, especially.

exquisite tea posted:

It's extremely anime, when you think about it.

Is this the part where they spend a few episodes powering up to deliver their ultimate sick burns?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

oh yeah am i going to love nioh, or am i going to loving LOVE nioh?

I played the beta and it felt like a very cool souls clone with its unique charm

Weirdly enough it does a pretty good job of not being a Souls clone. It's got some systems that are right out of Souls--the way XP works and how you level up, specifically--but the actual combat is very different, as is its approach to equpiment. It's a refreshing and really fun game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Is that the cat speaking?

No.

It does talk to the main character later, though. And also teaches him Japanese.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkqW3SJe9o

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

That is definitely not the tone I imagined Nioh having.

Nioh is delightful and never takes itself very seriously. It's basically the story of an Irish dude who stumbles into the Battle of Sekigahara and never really understands what's going on while searching for his kidnapped spirit buddy and also following his one true dream of killing every demon. Also he hangs out with a cat spirit who teaches him Japanese and is repeatedly made fun of by ninjas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of musou: I asked about this before and now I don't remember the answer, but would Hyrule Warriors be a good introduction to musou for someone who's never played one? I'm on a pretty big Zelda kick and some hacking and slashing sounds like a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

You probably already know but it should only be played on a N3DS or N3DSXL

What about Wii U?

• Locked thread