Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly Symphony of the Night deserves a 200.6 score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

are we still getting mad at review scores during the new game renaissance?

Did we all finish

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Gravity Rush 2
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Snipperclips
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nier: Automata

?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Literally the only complaint I can come up with for BotW is that the new dungeon maps are worthless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I do miss "real" dungeons. I really, really hope the next Zelda game continues in BotW's direction because I don't think the series can really step back after this, but I also hope the next one finds a way to have bigger, more intricate dungeons, too.

*you climb a tower and reveal that this whole portion of the map is a giant dungeon*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Update me when Link gets a mask that lets him ride a skateboard

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good news for fans of streaming services who don't have a PS4, they're putting PS4 games on PlayStation Now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

Why? By this metric, the Switch is the no-brainer option.

A 3DS is probably easier to find at the moment.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

And Shenmue II.

And an optional dungeon in Shadow Hearts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh huh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socksthecat/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons

Some dude acquired the rights and whatever was made and ran a successful kickstarter to finish it and I guess he's gonna have it come out by July at latest. It'll be an interesting novelty at least.

Nah, gently caress rich assholes that buy up prototypes and try to poo poo out a buck on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's pretty easy to make a rom available to the public, actually, and I don't think you'll find many people lamenting the loss of an end state to a mascot platformer on the SNES.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like, as soon as he finishes, that rom will be leaked just the same, so if a guy wants to raise money to finish it, that doesn't seem worth getting huffy admit.

Acting like the guy is scum for buying it in the first place but also claiming no one cares about it seems contradictory.

To play? Absolutely nobody should care about it. As an archive? Yeah let's just butcher it before releasing it even though I'm not the original dev or anything.

Like he's not the worst person in the world and "Socks the Cat" is hardly the most important archival item either but if your first response to having a rare piece of history is to try and make a buck off it he can go gently caress himself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

But he's not butchering it...part of the kickstarter was that if it got funded, he'd release both the original rom for people to check out and the updated thing that's being worked on

e:

If it gets funded, aka paying the dude for a rom dump.

He doesn't need the money to dump it. I mean yeah he probably doesn't have the equipment on hand but I guarantee there are plenty of people that would be willing to do that for him without him holding it hostage to some kickstarter. There's been plenty that didn't need that step.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The money from the kickstarter was to, among other things, try to break even after he paid the original scalper.

I just don't see what he's doing as some awful thing :shrug:

I'll admit, the second I saw a cat poster where the cat was dressed up like Donald Trump I instantly closed the page and barely even read it. I just saw "kickstarter for unreleased PCB to finish a prototype" and instantly disliked it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i tried out the 360 castlevania may cry game today. forget the name but i know its the original 2 disc one, not the sequel. seemed pretty cool, is it well regarded?

It's the best selling Castlevania game in the series.

It's way too long and opens on some of the worst bits, and the gameplay doesn't hold up on higher difficulties (i.e. you see the cracks) but it's hardly the worst game with that name on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't grab the DLC though, it is probably the worst thing with the Castlevania name on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

My friend here would like to have a word with you

Mr. moneybags over here.

Granted that poo poo is on PSN now but you'd be lucky to have an SNES Natsume game outside of rentals back in the day.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I accept no hacking that doesn't result in some risk of me going comatose.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aw hell yeah, good job Frank.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/officia...ics-on-april-18

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

So are they just pretending that duck tales remake doesn't exist.

It's literally an NES collection by the same people who did the Legacy Collection.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that the one where wario drops a bucket on mario's head and you have to guide mario out as a little fairy or whatever

Nah, that's Mario and Wario.

Wario's Woods is like the last game released on the NES (or one of the last, but it also came out on SNES).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Desmond died half the series ago.

so you're saying Desmond lived longer than the asscreed series.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk my Switch tells me I've been playing Zelda for 40 hours or something and I only did a second dungeon the other day and have yet to uncover more than 50% of the map. I think I'm covered for a while.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Man am I tired of hearing about Persona 5. It feels like it's been coming out for 3 years.

It's been longer than that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a sequel. A big part of the game is figuring out the context of the weird events, and I'd be worried they'd try to up the ante with even more twists and convoluted rules in a sequel, which could get really stupid really fast. I'm ok with it existing as its own little thing.

Yeah, look what they did to Kingdom Hearts.

TWEWY was cool because it was like I was playing FFVI again (the first turn based RPG I touched, I believe) where everything was new, interesting, and a bit confusing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ethanol posted:

Where is the playtime counter

It's really vague and only comes up like a week after you've been playing and is under your account listing in the top left.

Like it literally said on mine "40 or more hours".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Surely there is a piece of media which you enjoy but do not consider "good" and would not recommend to your friends or strangers on the internet.

Dawn of Mana is a very pretty game that I could recommend to precisely nobody because it's very repetitive, filled with physics puzzles, and is basically a slower and less flashy Kingdom Hearts.

But god drat it, you fight a Thanatos-possessed Treant while he hurls insults and seeds at you while this music plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYnagO_Rts

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Dawn of Mana is a very pretty game that I could recommend to precisely nobody because it's very repetitive, filled with physics puzzles, and is basically a slower and less flashy Kingdom Hearts.

But god drat it, you fight a Thanatos-possessed Treant while he hurls insults and seeds at you while this music plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYnagO_Rts

And then at one point there is a stage where you're just climbing a tower for a good 20 or 30 minutes and when you get to the top, it triggers a fight with a magic swordsman who you have to fling poo poo at to hit while every attack you or he does organically destroys the tower like the Raging Raven fight in MGS4, all set to this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUusaENTIQ

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Famitsu does this but I think people complain about them always giving high scores or something

They're the most blatantly paid reviewer and they don't really try to hide it anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

metroid prime 3 isn't that fun

It pains me every time people abbreviate Shadow of Mordor and I take a second to realize they're not talking about Secret of Mana.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Theres no such thing as objectivity

sure it is, it's those things that appear after you climb an ubisoft tower in bad open world games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

for the rest of this quote please watch the dvd included with your preorder special edition

if it's nietzsche then the dvd just has the cutscenes for the first game so that they can release only the second quote in Europe.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you thread for informing me of the Furi DLC. I'll get to it in 2018 2019.

Almost killed a Lynel and then it got me with one hit left.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about how hard Lynels are, but nope, they're hard as hell. That said they get really easy if you shoot them in the face--it always stuns them for long enough to get in a full combo or two. If you can't aim fast enough (because I sure can't) a triple-shot bow helps, or using the updrafts from their fire breath to do a mid-air time-stop shot.

I fuckin' forgot I unlocked upgraded Stasis powers and could have timestopped him, but it didn't help that the one dragon I don't have a scale from just casually floated in and started dropping flames everywhere.

FirstAidKite posted:

I know they weren't the greatest games in the world by any means, but imo it's kind of a shame how xenosaga never got to finish what it set out to do and instead, due to the mismanagement or whatever, they ended up having to wrap up early 3 games in without even getting to do a lot of the other stuff they wanted to do with that series.

I'm glad they were forced to wrap up because III is the best game in that series and it's because it's moving at a pace faster than glacial and actually had a combat system that wasn't different just for the sake of it.

Plus you basically get to fight Seibzehn and Weltall and that's cool as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Xeno 2 was the last time I preordered a game.

Unrelated, but how bad is the weapon durability thing in the new Zelda? I heard that some people are really mad about it so I'm wondering how bad it actually is.

A complete non-issue. You get so much equipment from every encounter that I actively have to use my good stuff or else it sits in my inventory forever. And the little Korok puzzles are how you upgrade how much equipment you can carry and there are 900 of those puzzles so they're literally everywhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

They really could have done with some NPC dialogue scattered around talking about a weird tree on the road.

He specifically mentions that he's surprised you can see him because most people can't.

Immersion!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I carry the strongest weapons around and never loving use them on anything because I don't want them to break when I might need them later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgU4Oum8SLg

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

God drat do I love the fact that Zelda saves like every minute or less.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I appreciate that when you get to Death Mountain a low key variant of the original NES Death Mountain theme plays.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Now 5 months after it's release I finally have an NES Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I dunno, I really just want the new controllers they molded so I can replace some bad parts in my actual NES controllers.

• Locked thread