Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Surely there is a piece of media which you enjoy but do not consider "good" and would not recommend to your friends or strangers on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

I wonder what game might earn a G1/F5 or vice versa.

What's the video game equivalent of The Room?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"Are you having fun?" is a really important question to ask but it's impossible to have a critical discussion without moving further from that point.

precision posted:

Internalizing shame that deep is probably not very healthy.

It's about recognizing that you enjoyed a thoroughly flawed work, and there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe your friends wouldn't appreciate it as much as you did. Thanks for the therapy session, though.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 16, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

precision posted:

It sounded more like you were taking the "guilty pleasure" approach, which is a concept I've always found bizarre, because it directly implies that it's possible to feel bad about liking a piece of art because of some arbitrary criteria (it's pop music, it's a national bestseller, it's a Mass Effect game, etc)

Ah, yeah, that is a weirdly popular idea, but not really what I was trying to express. It's good to read pulpy novels and listen to pop music sometimes!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"Keep 'em out for Harambe" - Jeff Kaplan

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

BexGu posted:

The funny part is that dude is right there on the road to the first village you are suppose to go to but every one ends up just exploring/climbing over mountains to get there and completely miss him.

They really could have done with some NPC dialogue scattered around talking about a weird tree on the road.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

[woke brain meme]
zelda rhythm game

The monkey paw closes. Link's Pan Flute Jam is slated for release this summer.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It all started when King Dedede stole all the food

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A Mass Effect set before or during first contact with humanity might be interesting!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

a mass effect where ... you play viva piñata on your omnitool

Easily a G6F6 imo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You're a loose cannon, oddium!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Guy Mann posted:

Call of Duty: Nazi Shooty

:hellyeah:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Stux is Right

But CoD is still gonna sell well, probably.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just make a sci-fi FPS with laser guns that make the Garand ping because reasons.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Maybe one day a video game will realize that Gold, Juno, and Sword were also important beaches in the Normandy landing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There's only one console that can play Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If the good guys were ugly aliens then who would you bang?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
God drat it is a good time for games

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mass Effect 2: I'm pretty sure the Collectors were corrupted Protheans

Not to mention the Keepers were a sapient race once upon a time.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really hope Todd Howard and his team take a good hard look at their engine they used for Fallout 4, and then throw it in the trash.

They're not going to do anything until the next broken, janky game they make doesn't sell. Why bother with engine improvements or QA when your customers will happily buy and fix your game for you?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I use inverted X-axis :twisted:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I modify every controller I buy to have the "trimaran" grip of the N64 controller

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

How did the Steam Controller turn out

I like it but it's divisive at best. The amount of control you've got over the behavior of the controller is impressive, and if you yourself don't want to futz with those menus there's a pretty large library of community-made profiles for most games.

That said it's oddly shaped and the touchpads are still a bit weird. I've heard from fighting game enthusiasts that it's very poorly suited for those games.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harrow posted:

I think what I like the least about it, even aside from the shape (which is odd but I could adjust) are the shoulder buttons. They're way too stiff. I tried to play Dark Souls with it and pressing those just got fatiguing. I did, however, really like the paddles on the back. Mapping roll/sprint to one of those was fantastic because it made it really easy to sprint and turn the camera at the same time.

Yeah, I don't like the shoulders and the triggers always felt a bit goofy to me as well.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey can we not do console wars: input device edition tia

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nothing holds a candle to the Dreamcast fishing controller anyhow

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

tap my mountain posted:

Better yet, a video game argument subforum with strict grammar and spelling rules

Three-day probes for loving up who/whom

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Splatoon is good, Stux

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only way to settle any fight is Daikatana with Steam controllers

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cowcaster posted:

cute is bad

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.

I don't know how he fell under that impression, the only way the DLCs might help is that there is a character in HoS who can drop major hints about how to get the best ending if you end up wrapping that DLC up before act 1 of the main story ends.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bloodychill posted:

Like I get what people mean when they say "if a spoiler ruined something for you, it wasn't worth reading/watching" but on the other hand, people can enjoy literature and art for what they are and genre fiction for what it is. Also don't be a dick.

I get why people think this but I feel like there are things in games which are extremely cool to experience first without secondhand knowledge. My dad has been playing Wind Waker off and on and ended up having to replay the first Forsaken Fortress trip once due to some savegame fuckery and his heart was 100% not in it due to the fact that he knew he wasn't gonna save Aryll and he was just gonna get his rear end kicked by a big bird.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Spoiler tags are good, friend, and take next to no effort to use.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There's gonna be a drought of good releases eventually. Right?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
When​ you let your digital storefront get filled with broken asset rips, scams, and UnitZ with the serial numbers filed off it makes it harder for the actual, possibly good indie games to get noticed. There's a lot to like about a system that allows indie developers a simple way onto the largest digital distribution platform, but nobody benefits when the standards for that platform are lax enough to allow games that are literally unplayable due to missing executable files or are simply packages full of stolen assets.

Edit: cats are awesome

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes because before Greenlight those games would have gotten into Steam via, uh

I understand what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but that doesn't invalidate criticism of the greenlight system. I submit to you that it is possible to have designed a system that would allow indie developers a place on Steam without also allowing any ill-mannered idiot to cobble together a broken mess of Unity store assets and Google image search results and get it on Steam.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Should have just called it the "New PS4" imo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you think about it aren't we all just a little bit anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Saint Freak posted:

What does your scouter say about my anime level?

"Mysterious & cool transfer student"

• Locked thread