Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

a kitten posted:

I keep seeing a giant Crow T. Robot-esque face behind her, instead of the side and shoulder of that Krogan.

It took me a second but now it's all I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Quest For Glory II posted:

A lot of them are survival games which for whatever reason makes people super thirsty

Survival game devs think that that if you don't drink a liter of clean water every hour you will die from dehydration.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had Corn Love Forever as my theme for so long the song is burned into my brain. I wish I could buy the Neir Automata theme without the digital preorder.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

First, they came for the Let's Players and I said nothing, for I did not make LPs.
Then they came for the streamers and I said nothing, for I did not stream.
When they came for the speed runners I said nothing still, for I did not speed run.
Finally, when they came for the casuals, there was no one left to speak for me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I just lost three hours playing Dynasty Warriors 8 and hearing Cao Cao preach about ambition in between blood baths. Well, blood baths are the wrong word since almost no one dies and the climactic finish was Guan Yu admitting defeat and turning into a beam of light.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's a weird feeling to be in the middle of a great release schedule but afraid to buy games because you want to leave something for loved ones to get you for your birthday. I can only queue up so many Zelda videos and say "hmm, looks interesting" so many times before it becomes pathetic.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

my children, The Planets, Dianne and Cloud

Lol

The odds that someone has named a human Nanaki and calls them Red XIII as a nickname is not zero.

Or

These are my sons, Richter, Axearmor, and X-X!V''Q.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wish my 24 year old cat would just let go already so I didn't have to clean up piles of cat poo poo around the house first thing in the morning while worrying that my pregnant wife is living in a house literally crawling with toxoplasmosis. The cat is old and frail and scared of our other cats but the vet said she's fine so my options are to wait until she gets worse or euthanize a "healthy" cat. I think she's had a good run and I don't think her quality of life is very good anymore, but it's also immensely cruel to decide to end a life for convenience. I'd try and take her back to the vet but that's no fun for anyone.

Sorry for the bummer talk, and I'm sorry your cat died. Pets are great sources of happiness but can also be great sources of stress. Please pet or scratch your animal friends.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Unless its an outdoor cat or has contact with them its not going to have communicable toxo

It used to be, years ago. But after we moved to a more urban area we kept her inside and she seems fine with it. Now we have a backyard but the cats seem mostly fine with enjoying the outdoors from a nice window sill or cat tree.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Macaluso posted:

If I remember right there was a puzzle in at least one of the games where you had to have the actual case of the game to solve it. There was a thing on a wall in a code that you needed to decipher and you couldn't actually decipher it with anything in game, you needed to look up the legend or something on the case or in the instruction book or whatever.

It's funny how prevalent things like that were back in the day. Not so much things trying to stop you from pirating games like that, but more things that are just like "why would I ever know that?". There's a part in Castlevania II where you have to like... hold down on the edge of a lake to make stairs appear to go down past the lake?? Like how would you ever know to do that? Perhaps one of the townsfolks said some weird cryptic poo poo that vaguely resembled doing that but who knows

The old school adventure games, and most PC games that could be copied to a disc, usually had something like this as a form of copy protection. The Cliffs of Logic required the player to know the language in the manual to make sure only players who had the manual could progress. An earlier King's Quest (3?) had a list of spells in the manual that the player needed to type throughout the game, and Freddy Pharkus required players to have access to the chemistry information that came packaged with the game. Of course, making a copy of the information and including it with the bootleg wasn't an insurmountable hurdles which led developers to think of other ways the verify a purchase. The Who Framed Roger Rabbit game game my mom owned included a decoder wheel that, when I lost it after playing around, made the game unopenable.

Macaluso posted:

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

I can't stop seeing C-Button prompts in her bandana.

In other news, I've been playing Nier 2 and will echo what a previous poster said: I went in with Nier's twist in mind and every hour that passes feels like the game is really playing off that with a giant toothy grin.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Has anybody read Souls of Darkness? The idea of a fake Worlds of Power book about a modern game that's also a parody of the source material sounds like the kind of thing that could work very well or not at all and its cameo minigame in Frog Fractions 2 made me remember that I never actually got around to reading it and apparently it was successful enough for them to launch a Kickstarter for a sequel based on Fallout.

I have my copy and all its related paraphernalia on my desk next to me, but I've never even cracked the cover. One day my sealed set of Souls of Darkness trading cards will be worth something. Probably.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Here's some spoiler-free Nier advice:
You can use the d-pad the quickly change weapon sets or use consumables, or press the left side of the touch pad to pause the game and bring up a truncated menu that lets you weapons in your sets or use additional consumables.
Holding the attack button will perform a different combo than tapping it, and there are unique combos for going from a light attack of one weapon type into a heavy attack of another
There is a fast travel mechanic that becomes available after completing some story missions. Took me around 5 1/2 hours to get there, which was long enough for me to nearly weep tears of joy at getting it.
You don't have to hold the dash button to run. Just tap it and hold the analogue stick, and 2B will continue to pick up speed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

What does the boxer start with now because I loved playing as him but did not love his bottom-rung pitiful starting moveset. Do we now get info on what items and foods do what as well? Terrible starting movesets and deliberately obtuse items were what soured me but if those get fixed up enough I'll dive back in

I would guess that the boxer comes with the rushing punch, which is the neutral special move. Adds a lot of mobility and feels nice, but I'm still not happy about the combo chain being mostly guesswork. I think that some of the move commands are mislabeled, too, with some commands triggering with a K instead of a P, but it's impossible to tell what move is activating when they're all variations of punches. The item thing bugged me to and I get that it's a call back to the original and requiring me to make mental or physical notes on what items do isn't a deal breaker, but I bought the most expensive thing at the comic store and I don't think it gave me any feedback on how it affected my character.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I got my fourth ending in Nier: Automata and I'm hungry for more. Problem is, I'm leaving the state Wednesday morning and when I get back I think I'll be gifted BotW for my birthday. So I'm going to look pretty ungrateful when I shelve the new Zelda game to continue my android adventures.

On the subject of the Kowloon Walled City, there's a book full of cross-sections of it www the images online. I'm post them here but I'm on a tablet and don't want to wrestle with uploading them to imgur first. Here's a link though: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/11/an-illustrated-cross-section-of-hong-kongs-infamous-kowloon-walled-city/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm eagerly awaiting Atlus' April Fools joke about the Persona 5 release date.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Here's an incomplete list of utterances I've made while playing Nier 2

"Neat" "Whoa" "Uh, alright" "nooooo" ":prepop:" "UHHH" "Oh, cool!" "Dog" "Cute" "huh"

There's one bit of advice I wish I could go back in time and give myself but I daren't give even the most oblique of spoilers. It's a good game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm back from vacation and I've given up on reading through all the posts from the last week. Are games still good/bad? Is everyone doing alright? Is anime still blood?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Good to hear. I left my Vita at home and only had my iPad for games while I was away (which is good; I've spent too many vacations with my nose in a handheld). I downloaded Ticket To Earth for the trip home and it was a real good way to spend the time. It's a puzzle RPG about moving your character to match tiles to boost your attack and activate special abilities. Aside from one mission at the start of the second chapter, nothing seemed too unfair and failing a mission wasn't a big loss. It's $4 at the moment and it's secured a cozy spot next to Steamworld Heist in my tablet's library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

I want to play a Mass Effect game set entirely on a fully-realized version of the Citadel, obviously before the whole Reaper conflict. The player is a new C-Sec agent and it's all about solving crimes and busting up a crime syndicate. And let me play as a non-human, too. Because Citadel racial politics are important, each race could be like a background choice in Dragon Age Origins--not game-changing, but inflecting certain quests and scenes. So if you're turian you're in the majority of C-Sec agents and might have more respect from fellow C-Sec agents by default, while being human might mean people treat you with a bit more skepticism because you're relatively new to C-Sec as a species even if there are more human agents than salarian or asari. Obviously it'd be a big departure because it wouldn't be about exploring space, so definitely more spin-off material than sequel material. But high-tech crime solving on a space station would be cool.

Although something set during first conflict or the human/turian war would be cool, too.

This is from a few pages back, but I can't stop imagining a Citadel Noire game starring an Elcor detective.

:geno: Furiously. You raped those boys and framed the Vorcha for their murder. :geno:

Maybe give him a Hanar partner to play the good cop. I'd be interested in it.

• Locked thread