Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

I think that's just goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A cool drat horse posted:

This is a fairly retarded criticism of the console's portability lol. Do these people not own bags.

I never put my DS lite or my 3DS in my pocket because I kept them in a carrying case, with games. Hell, I'm not even sure I kept my GBC in my pockets when I was an ickle tyke.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

But... but where else would you keep a Gameboy Pocket?!

I solved that problem by never owning one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Do those nerds not wear cargo shorts? :wtc:

None but the finest of XL JNCO Jeans are allowed to touch my bare, sweaty thighs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

Switch acquired, now for work to end so I can pick up my games.

Come down with something all of a sudden. I hear there's a nasty bug going around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I too wish death on any and all streamers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

Zelda is the best but does anyone know if there are real dungeons or is it just lots of the mini puzzle shrines

It does, but from what I understand there might only be four in the world, plus the "endgame" dungeon. And the they're very different in concept from a regular Zelda dungeon, though no less impressive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

...I... I think I paid 10 dollars for the Spore creature creator... :negative:

I never even bought the game.

That's probably the best made part of the game, tbf.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow of War looks really good and continues to make absolutely zero sense as a LOTR game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

Have they shown anything over than the CGI trailer?

Yeah, there's a heavily scripted walkthough video: http://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-expands-the-nemesis-system-to-your-own-army/

Doesn't show much of the actual, regular combat you'll be doing (they've got unlimited executions turned on) but they've really blown out the Nemesis system way more than I would have expected.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

My av is poo poo cause I forgot to edit the joestar mark to be on the correct side when I mirrored the image, tho that gets cancelled out by people who use the mobile app only seeing this part of my av

e: seriously though idk how some of you put up with me lol, all I do is show up and wish people a good day and disappear and sometimes post about games poo poo nobody else is talking about and otherwise just be sad and depressing lmao. Either that or just talking about dumb cosplay or anime poo poo like the dumb don't starve mod I wanted to make for KCB so she can play as the succubus in her av. You don't need to try to pat me on the back or anything cause I don't think I've done anything worth that kind of treatment, it's fine lol

Nah, you're pretty OK, which is the absolute best anyone can hope to be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

an actual dog posted:

Guys this might be shocking to y'all but I don't think Yooka-Laylee is gonna be a good game.
I think it's more likely that it will be a very faithful throwback to N64 era 3D platformers, and a lot of people are going to find that they're not a fan of that type of game anymore.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

I played a lot of Q1 when I was younger.
Each iteration Q1 > Q2 > Q3 felt like an upgrade and evolution of the original deathmatching abilities.

With Quake 4 being the absolute zenith, natch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Everybody list your game-graphics shock moments:

Doom 2 (at the time second 3D game I've ever seen after Wolfenstein 3D)
Quake 2 (woah you can't see pixels, how is this possible)
GTA 3 (oh my god, you can run in any direction in a giant 3D city with no loading screens, what?)
Burnout 3 Takedown (I told my cousin that this is how real-life cars look and it will be hard to get better than this)
Oblivion (the classic out-of-the-cave moment many people had)
LA Noire (facial animations)
Battlefront (I was actually shocked how much this game literally looked like Star Wars movies at all times)
Uncharted 4 would be the latest one where I really felt a jump in quality in comparison to other games

There were probably a few others that I forgot.

For me, it's Half Life 2. I've only ever really been a PC gamer, but it's the first game I associate with "Next Gen" graphics, even though I'm sure Doom 3 was more advanced technically. While yes, a lot of the game's visuals have aged, they've done it relatively gracefully and I can always go back to it without thinking it looks primitive.

I've got similar feelings for STALKER, although that's 100% because of the environment, atmosphere and lighting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe it's my own lovely experiences talking here but if that's how the guy acts when he's on camera I have a pretty good idea of how much worse it's gonna be when they're away from prying eyes.
Yeah I bet he hits his wife and cheats on his children.

Macaluso posted:

Lol yeah totally the best part is when the small child gets yanked by her arm really hard and dragged out of the room. Lol top memes

Yanked? F'real?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

I'm done with that part of my life.

You've grown lame, old man. :smug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last Bioware game I played was ME1, so I'm not very invested in the fiction, but I thought the whole point of the Andromeda mission was to be a last ditch effort for survival in case the Reapers won. But it's not? It's just some unrelated pet-project? Huh?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

:lol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my god.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Instead of talking about probably bad videogame guy Jontron hating the Moslems or whatever, let's talk about probably good videogame guy Drew Scanlon making a games/traveldoc series.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

I'm not really sure how "travelogue + video games" works and having no idea who that guy is, his video wasn't really compelling :(

Maybe ur the real racist all along

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda are... the story has some potentially interesting hooks and they've worked on developing both the combat and progression systems?

...I think I may be cautiously optimistic?

John Walker detested the first few hours of Mass Effect Andromeda, so maybe it's actually really good?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Well I know that each brewery is only allowed to bring 2 beers, so hopefully the ones that get brought will taste good. Admittedly I've never had beer so I know I'm gonna dislike it from the outset but I'm hoping to work my way up to porters and stouts since I hear they are very chocolate-like/coffee-like and I'd like to be able to find out for myself some time. If they have any wheat beers there, I'll try them out since I've heard they're a good entry level thing.

Uh, just so you know when they say "chocolate/cofee-like" it's just talking about undertones; beer still tastes like beer. That said, yeah, Weißbier is a good one to start with since it's not as hoppy as light beers and not as malty as dark. But they are the first ones I liked, though now I'm mostly into porters and stouts since I still can't stand the taste of hops.

Kai Tave posted:

John Walker's review of Hollow Knight is one of the most insipid bits of ~games journalism~ I've read in a while, so I'm inclined to believe that he's actually a huge stupid idiot.

No, you say "get it because it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built" you dumb gently caress, what kind of opening statement is this supposed to be? Like I know getting mad about video games is a dumb way to be but holy poo poo this guy's writing is so bad it legitimately makes me kind of angry.

John Walker's entire retarded gimmick is to be outraged and contrarian about whatever's in at the time. Funny thing is, I honestly can't remember if he was always like that or not.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 15, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The best videogame hacking is in EYE: Divine Cybermancy. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

I disagree, it is actually Dystopia, in which you are placed in cyberspace which is a very strange first person shooter where the rules of physics don't apply and there are other hackers lurking trying to kill you with other objectives usually in opposition to yours

Fuuuuuuuuuck, Dystopia owned (owns? Does anyone still play it?) Well, except that I could never actually get my mind around the hacking. Still, cloaking, silent step, smart pistols 4 LYFE. Throw in a cortex bomb for good measure, though I don't think it ever paid off very well.

Game's still got some of the most satisfying hit sound effects in a shooter and might have even been one of the first to use them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Don't doxx my house. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

Can't not hear Kumail Nanjiani.

I mean, that's who it is so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

What has sold people on Prey? I haven't seen or heard much about it other than 'might be a bit like System Shock' and you can turn into a cup???

That and all of Arkane's other games have been pretty ace.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Most people aren't dazzled by high production values

Lol if you think that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet?

Freespace 2 came out almost two decades ago, champ

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked the earlier LawBreakers alpha, look forward to playing this one when I get home from work, and I don't care who knows. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone who usually cites Citizen Kane to compare it to video games has probably never seen it and pictures it as a slow art cinema thing but it is actually extremely plot-driven and quickly paced, part of why critics eventually hailed it was that it was incredibly ahead of its time and would not be that out of place as a film even decades later

Yeah, Citizen Kane's just a real good movie in general.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lakbay posted:

Can't wait for persona 5 to let me pretend to be a life-haver highschooler with a hot anime girlfriend again

:yikes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kai Tave posted:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how incredible it is that Kingdom Hearts even exists at all? The idea that someone said "what if we could make a JRPG, but also have your party members be Donald Duck and Goofy?" and it got approved is proof-positive that even the craziest of dreams can come true.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Huh, better animation than I remember that show ever having.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

how is everyone today. i took a small break from game playing after hitting 75% but i'm gonna play abzu tonight. here's the family cat nice and comfy

I played through Abzu yesterday, took about two hours. Definitely just do it in one sitting, it's gorgeous. Made me feel emotions, which I rarely do nowadays, even though one of those emotions was "dread"

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 20, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello, good morning, how's everyone doing?

Looking forward to playing Shadowrun for the first time this evening even though I haven't finished making my character lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Tabletop or video game?

TT.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

What you like is pedo bait. That anime is pedo bait.

Real talk, anime is fine but people who can't see a joke about anime without defending glorious Nihon and calling people weird for mocking gross anime tropes are insufferable

:agreed:

And honestly it's usually pretty obvious what someone means when they call something "too anime" by context, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeff Gerstmann defined what anime is and who it's for about a decade ago, anyway.

• Locked thread