Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started playing Gears of War. I am not enjoying it

Is it ever explained why the aliens have the same shape and gear as the human soldiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dewgy posted:

Gears has... problems. The first one was pretty fun and a great UE3 showcase, impressive for its time, but it hasn't aged well at all, and the sequels are basically pointless. Just like Halo and Fable and anything else MS gets their hands on.

Halo 3 has better gameplay than Halo, even if the story is a lot dumber

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gears of War depicts a future in which humans have helicopters, chainsaw guns, and laser satellites, but not ground penetrating radar or seismographs. So instead they rig up some kind of one use only, handmade sonar bomb.

Also, I really can't stress enough how much I hate it that the enemies and your allies have the exact same silhouette.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

Was it Karin Traviss? It seemed like everybody was hiring her to write their tie-in fiction for a while. You've got to be aware that you hosed up somewhere along the line when even George Lucas thinks you suck too much to be allowed to write Star Wars novels.

For people who don't know, Karen Traviss wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels about the Mandalorians. The people from whom Boba Fett got his armor. Because it the Star Wars universe, so Boba Fett's armor needs multiple novels of backstory. She built them up as this very militaristic, martial, warrior society. They were better sword fighters than the Jedi, and in fact could kill tons of Jedi anytime they wanted, but didn't even bother because it was so easy. They had special swords that lightsabers couldn't cut, and were much better than lightsabers, which were for pussies. Basically, she wrote the Mandalorians to be the most OP super soldiers of all time.

Then the Star Wars cartoon had an episode set on Mandalor. In the Star Wars canon, the cartoon is higher level than the books, so if the cartoon and the books disagree, the books are wrong and whatever the cartoon says is canon. In the cartoon episode, Mandalor is a peaceful social democracy. There's some right-wing extremists who want everything to be more like the great martial past, but it's explained that that past is just a myth, Mandalor was never home to crazy warrior world, and all the extremists get defeated by the Jedi and go to jail

After that episode came out, Karen Traviss publicly announced that she would never write another Star Wars novel again

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Also at one point there was a Gears of War official comic that claimed that there were some kind of "breeding camps" were women were enslaved to breed super soldiers, and while that kind of stuff could be justified in a horrific dystopian sci fi setting, I have no idea how it made its way into Gears of War as something the good guys do.

Fun fact about the Halo novels, it turns out that the Covenant interrupted a human civil war. A bunch of frontier planets were rebelling against the United Nations, and the war was basically insurrectionists doing suicide bombings and then the UNSC showing up and massacring insurrectionists. That's why Master Chief was created, to fight that war.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's like 40k in that there are no good guys.

I have read a couple Halo novels, and both of them were worse than any 40k novels I've read. And I read 40k novels, so my standards ain't exactly high

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

I read some of the oldest 40k sourcebooks and it's a shame the series went and took a turn for the up-its-own-rear end serious dumb poo poo, it was way more charming when it was Judge Dredd Fights Orcs.

It's still pretty silly

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fridge corn posted:

aloy can't be anime cuz she's not hypersexualised

That's not really anime. HZD would be super anime if the protagonist wasn't sexualized and had a same-sex attraction she expressed through handholding and blushes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don't like boss fights where the boss is invulnerable most of the time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Which game?

I'm on the boss fight of Gears of War now, but it's a thing I've thought before

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

haveblue posted:

Bosses you have to put some work into enabling chipping away at their health bar are OK, bosses whose vulnerability periods are under the game's control and unpredictable are bad.

Yeah, if you have to do something to make the boss drop it's invulnerability, that's fine. Because you're actually doing something in the fight. But if nothing you do effects it, and you're just waiting or dodging attacks until the next vulnerable moment, that's terrible and I hate it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnStC6sRmiQ

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there video games with a co-op mode but playing single-player is better?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I guess platformers where all the players share a screen don't work great

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just started playing Skyrim. The last Elder Scrolls game I played, it was a good idea to always be jumping in order to level up your jump skill. Does Skyrim still do that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Colonel posted:

acrobatics and athletics aren't skills anymore

neither is punching

That's genuinely disappointing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Skyrim have gay marriage?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The character creation in Skyrim is something else. It took me awhile to make a character who looked reasonably human. It was like a puzzle, getting the right neck skintone and eye depth to not end up with a hosed up monster lady

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Skyrim am I gonna get a limited number of perk points, or can I eventually max out everything?

bloodychill posted:

I'm saying Japan has the best games, the very best games.

that is pretty undeniable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

actually please dont use halo as an example because the weird bullet bending they do is entirely their own making and complete bizarre and mocked routinely

Who routinely mocks Halo's bullet bending?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowcaster posted:

halo is an rpg

Halo Reach is, at least. You level up and acquire new armor parts

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyrim has an unnecessary amount of voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

It's like when that one guy sent him a curated selection of "the best animes" and got really mad that Rich didn't bother watching them because he doesn't like anime and has no intention of trying to "get into" anime.

I wanna know what was in that guy's "best anime" selection.

• Locked thread