Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

If it's not on PC it doesn't exist for me

i played bloodborne for a bit on a friend's ps4 it was pretty good

not counting that though the last console game i would've played would have to be something for the original wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did a goog

quote:

There are four types of aim assist in Halo titles: Snapping, Friction, Acceleration, and Magnetism.
Magnetism defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.
Snapping reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.
Acceleration makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.
Friction slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows the player's top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when the player release the stick.

this came up on a halo wiki but i think it applies to basically any fps console title you can name

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

actually please dont use halo as an example because the weird bullet bending they do is entirely their own making and complete bizarre and mocked routinely

ok here
https://www.destinygamewiki.com/wiki/Aim_Assist

quote:

Aim Assist
Aim Assis or Aim Assistance is the amount of slow down your crosshair will have when you hover over an enemy. Higher the ranged weapon stat is the greater aim assistance your weapon has and the more slow down you will have when you cover over an enemy.

Types of Aim Assist
Auto-Aim: It keeps your crosshair sticking on a target. Most gamers say that this leads to many fatalities, but 95% of the time, it is assisting you. You just do not notice when it is assisting you, because it is programmed to be like that all the time.

Bullet-magnetism: This is by how much the game forgives you for being slightly off-target. It leads to bullets to veer at any ever-so-slightly off-target to hit a mark at the more extreme end a hit-scan calculation. Without any bullet magnetism, your gun would have to strike the target precisely. With bullet magnetism, you just need to satisfy a minimum requirement out-put value through the game's accuracy formula.

Crosshair slow-down: This is similar to "Auto-Aim," but it is unique. Auto-Aim will trigger your crosshair to make corrections. Crosshair slow-down merely causes your crosshair to automatically slow down when you're moving over a target.

it's a ubiquitous console thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

halo is an rpg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a videogame, videogames cannot hurt you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

They can however make you cry a lot and that hurts

just turn off the console, just walk away, etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Red Bones posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you could go blind if you played a Virtual Boy for long enough.

ok fair enough

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the last time a platinum game tried to make me feel guilt for cutting up robots was metal gear rising revengeance when the sai robot wearing a derby hat activated my emotions chip or something and buddy if you think that slowed me down from cracking open dumbasses for their spine juice for even a second you'd be mistaken

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cute is bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The game doesn't stop dead in its tracks to vomit garbage exposition at you or walk you through the "clever" plot twist or have something completely stupid happen while manipulative music plays and Kojima yells "LOOK HOW DEEP I AM".

in the very section of the game we're talking about eventually the game locks you out of moving or attacking because raiden is so "emotionally distraught" or something so you have to hobble-stealth your way around some enemies to the boss who vomits garbage exposition at you, so

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and don't get me wrong i love the poo poo out of revengeance but to me that whole sequence is a very big and palpable wart on the game as a whole and just based on hearsay it sounds to me like nier is "that sequence: the game"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought mgs:v was loving fantastic, albeit obviously incomplete but also it's the only metal gear game i've ever played (not counting revengeance which isn't really so much a metal gear game)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked the open world in mgsv but only in the sense that the major missions carved discrete chunks out of it that could be connected. it was pretty flat just tooling around doing side missions

edit: what everyone above me just said

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

witcher 3's open world frightens me in how terrifyingly detailed novigrad and kaer morhen are because somewhere some polish team of level designers must have died from exhaustion. there's a poo poo gazillion interconnected nooks and crannies and ladders and hallways you can poke your head into that serve absolutely no purpose.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the entire movement system of mgsv is so entirely fluid and intuitive that i can only hope that konami is putting the fox engine to good use by creating a slew of pachinko machines with gaming's only extant examples of good soft cover systems

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

It works like any other fast travel system where you have to have been there once though? Not really that big of a deal

i can see how specifically having to grab the slip off the signpost instead of it just autoupdating like most other fast travel systems can be considered a bullshit extra step, but yeah

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even if they brought the team over whole hog having to recreate an entire game engine entirely from scratch that took 4-odd years to build the first time around is not something trivial to do

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wouldn't the prequel just be called nice, starring the android 69TA

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see i'll definitely pick up nier on steam sale some day in the future because it does pique my interest but persona 5 is basically custom tooled to be precisely anathema to cowcasters

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

:psyduck:

Logistically, I don't think it's possible for a game to spoil it's own sequel.

i'm with you on this one

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in addition to hating all forms of entertainment and everything that is light and pure and good i think spoiler avoidance is a very tortured form of logic but even if i didn't "the first game tells you the 'plot twist' of the second game" means that it's not a loving plot twist now is it

edit: what endorph said

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 29, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

again, by definition, aren't prequels pre-spoiled

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Real talk, which to play first: Horizontal or Nicer:A?

i hear good things about this new zelda: best of the worst

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gesundheit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lets hang out posted:

i started playing rain world. it's really pretty and the slug cat is cute. the way it controls is a little awkward at first but it really effectively gets across the desperate feeling of prey scrambling from a predator. here's gifs i found

basing my opinion entirely on these three gifs and literally nothing else it looks like an extremely pretty game that's boring as hell to play

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also it makes me want to play super meat boy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

cowcaster what are you five favorite games. mine are mgs3/majora's mask/nuclear throne/star fox 64/sonic adventure 2

most recently doom 2016/witcher 3/dishonored 2/vermintide/mgsv

of all time i'd have to think about for a while but bastion and hotline miami would probably be up there

oh and dark souls deffo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

most recently doom 2016/witcher 3/dishonored 2/vermintide/mgsv

of all time i'd have to think about for a while but bastion and hotline miami would probably be up there

oh and dark souls deffo.

vermintide is more in there just for an hours played rather than sheer enjoyment

also killer7 belongs somewhere in the mix

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing Metroid: Zero Mission on my Wii U gamepad and it's pretty fun to play a GBA game at double size with no anti aliasing. :)

not exactly related but with the announcement of a remaster of the original starcraft coming out my brother took it upon himself to fire up the old starcraft
https://twitter.com/Mejwell/status/846507935903727617

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rogue dawn? more like rogue yawn. bam. out. done.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what the gently caress are you doing reading the database entries in doom 2016

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doom 2016 has among the most compelling and well-written characterization and story i have ever encountered in An Videogame

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if being the kind of person who likes nier:automata's writing makes you the kind of person who hates doom 2016's writing throw that bad game down the doody hole

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Doom 2016's writing is weaker than the limbs of the enemies you splat, my dude

edit: And I mean, it's not like the game is really any worse off because of it because outside of parts where you have to not shoot stuff it's totally ignoreable, but it's still not good

i think it's safe to say we have nothing to offer each other

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Should have just transposed the script for the doom comic and gotten someone to read it out loud over the loading screens

they literally worked "rip and tear" into the opening cutscene my dude that's basically what they did

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

are you insane

no are you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

valve invented steam and subsequently the entire digital download market so some respect is warranted

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Yeah, Steam is loving awesome

dominating the market, that's capitalism baby

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

That Valve doesn't give the slightest poo poo about what is released on their platform and as a result, 99% of it is worthless crap.

as opposed to sony and microsoft who have extremely strict marketplace rules

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That respect was lost with the introduction of early access

poo poo

• Locked thread