Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was expecting the ending of the witness to be more pretentious than it actually was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dare not venture into a Dark Souls thread

a place where angels fear to tread

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the switch's indie lineup is legit as gently caress for maybe the first time ever for a Nintendo console

the big guns like thumper, stardew valley, shovel knight, but also the really good under the radar ones like gonner and splasher. whoever's reaching out to devs there knows what the gently caress is up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, but Microsoft and Sony actually improve their controllers with each iteration. The gamecube was the first and last comfortable controller Nintendo made.

Jk, the pad for the virtual boy was p good.
wiimote and nunchuck is the most comfortable dgaf gaming ever, hands at sides chill as gently caress

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bloodychill posted:

They need it because other than Zelda, the full retail line-up is pretty bad for a while.
nintendo is kind of coming into a generation where non-exclusive AAA games are kind of getting less interesting. FINANCIALLY they will hurt from not having mass effect but like. do i give a gently caress about ghost recon wildlands or for honor? no. dgaf about metal gear survive

at this point its all about sony having horizon, persona 5, nioh

nintendo having zelda, mario, splatoon

microsoft having

uh

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wont give them the credit for this but it's absolutely smart to go hard after indie developers and try to get exclusive content or timed exclusives or w/e because i feel its inevitable the profit margin on indie games/publishers will surpass AAA with the way AAA costs keep rising while the price of games at retail remains unchanging

i mean yeah the AAA can flood their games full of microtransactions and multiple season passes but there's a ceiling on that. and the more you lean towards the whales the more the non-whales will be alienated

i mean Stardew Valley just outsold many AAA games on PC in 2016 and that game is about farming and repeatedly giving copper bars to people to make them like you as opposed to huge setpieces, hollywood stars, and megatextures

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 2, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IMO they didn't really go hard after indies with Wii U. they didn't get all the engine support, just Unity and UE3. couldn't get UE4 or CryEngine or any other middleware. kind of narrows the options down

they let on poo poo like Meme Run but didn't get Gone Home, they didn't get KSP, they didn't get The Witness, they didn't get Towerfall Ascension AND THAT WAS ON OUYA. they didn't get hyper light drifter. they didn't get Firewatch. a lot more they didn't get

they also slacked on trying to get console-exclusive indie games, while Sony got exclusives (Obduction, Abzu, Broforce) and Microsoft had Inside

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Problem Sleuth posted:

i know a lot of people hate early access but a lot of ea games seem to sell really well. I wonder if that's because the early access system is actually liked by a large group of people or if it's because the games that are ea are just what people want to play
A lot of them are survival games which for whatever reason makes people super thirsty

VideoGames posted:

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.
I think more importantly it's powerful enough to get Japanese devs to move over from Vita and possibly even PS4 (which I think still is not INCREDIBLE sales-wise in Japan)

But it's probably not powerful enough to hold on to, say, the next Assassins Creed, or Call of Duty, or Battlefield, and those are all big money-making games (although Ubisoft at least gave it a shot with AC on Wii U)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apparently the Switch still has Friend Codes as an option in addition to searching via username or adding your Twitter/Facebook friends

they'll never die

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

4 stars

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tap my mountain posted:

Video games grade me on a point system that goes into the millions and only has a technical limit, why should I limit their potential to only 10 numbers?
i do think review grades would be better if they included S-Rank

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zeboyd's next game Cosmic Star Heroine now has a date: april 11th

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/GiornoPizza/status/837440733405655041

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

We're probably going to see the rear end Creed game that needed an extra year in the oven

There's CALL OF DUTY 5

i dunno how far away God of War: Dad Edition is

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

darksydephil got kicked out of machinima. the only thing i know about him is he got caught masturbating on stream once

a bad year for lets players so far

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Then I can get all the youtube traffic for myself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my gameplay youtube is coming up on 1000 videos and i think that will be slightly sad but also impressive just based on how little effort it's required

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

any thread about shovel knight that is not chill is Fucjked up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a lot of the previous generation that got into gamedev were of the generation that got bullied and then became the bullies. this generation and next generation still have kids who will grow into conservative assholes but by and large the younger generations seem to have more innate empathy and consideration for others, that I feel like gamedev will continue to improve in many ways

LPing is probably no different demographically speaking. lp zone forum seems really socially conscious but i also feel like there's barely anyone of my age there except maybe the people who created it

doug tenappel is weird in that while he is an artist, a lot of what he has done is just be An Idea Man where he pitches an idea and then other people do it. all of his TV shows were like that, I assume his games are like that too

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sure but have you seen his let's plays? Warren cant even get out of the tutorial area of breath of the wild

fuckin g casual.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wrapped up summer of stardew valley but i kinda want to continue playing it and do the fall

i think it depends on where my mood is at. the other game i'm playing is memoria and i am planning on doing armed & dangerous, abzu, and hopiko next but i think if my mood goes bad or sad i will go back to farming and mining

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

infinite undiscovery was actually an okay game despite The Dance and voice acting and well there's a lot of knocks against it also the spider cave was BULLSHIT

it was very much a dark era for jrpgs at the time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Slime Rancher just pushed out a new update that adds a new zone

The Ancient Ruins is a new zone located between the Moss Blanket and Indigo Quarry. It contains a new slime, resource, and other secrets to discover. This zone will also serve as the key to accessing the Glass Desert in a future update. The Ancient Ruins is very different form other zones in Slime Rancher and ranchers can easily get lost within its twisting passages if they're not careful. Travel safely!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

he needs to chill the gently caress out. Youtubers in general need to chill. chill like the loving ice age chill

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the turner classic movies guy died. made me think about how there should be a guy like that for games, but such a person would probably have an unsuccessful youtube channel career

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a website like GoodReads, but for video games?
gamers dont really read, you should have said MyAnimeList and they'd have understood

recommendation algorithms are total poo poo so I've never bothered looking for one. I just tend to look up gameplay footage to see if it's a game i'd be interested in. i guess there's always Steam Curators if you can find someone whose tastes are similar to yours.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Onikuno/status/839199045356748801

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean you can always catalog your stuff on Backloggery, or use SteamCompletionist for your Steam library

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hello,

This week Hello Games will be releasing the next content update for No Man's Sky. We're calling it the Path Finder Update; it introduces a new vehicle that will aid home planet exploration, building on the Foundation Update to hint at a path ahead for the future.

Detailed patch notes will be released when the update goes live.

Shortly after we launched the Foundation Update, we released a number of patches to address issues reported by players before beginning work on the Path Finder update. We were surprised and excited by the response to Foundation, and we have been listening carefully to community feedback since then.

To those of you who have spent time sharing feedback, whether positive or negative, we are listening.

This is the next step in our journey. It shows the path forward. We hope you'll join us.

Thank you,
Hello Games

i will not join you sorry

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/839542070050115584

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haveblue posted:

Who's Colin Moriarty and why should I care what he thinks if that's a typical example?
IGN games ~journalist~

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At some point I'll do Nintendo games for my channel but I just keep putting it off with all the other games I have to play anyway, maybe in that time the Nintendo youtube program will get less lovely (their program doesn't even cover all games MADE by Nintendo internal studios which is weird)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Compile Heart has launched a new title countdown website asking users, “Boobs or butt? Which party are you?”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The GIPHY Museum of GIF Art is the first ever virtual reality GIF art museum. The current exhibition in the MoGA is Loop Dreams, the accompaniment to our 2016 IRL exhibition. Works by 20 artists are exhibited in a beautiful, nonlinear environment.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593090/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Breath of the Wild despite being a brand new IP and starring a woman, both of which are things Nintendo is deathly allergic to unless squids are involved.
one has an install base of a kajillion consoles and the other is on a system that just launched

the fact that zelda was #2 in some regions was pretty crazy and shows how high its attach rate was and how it was basically the only thing to buy for Switch

the numbers on switch sales aren't out yet but even with switch outselling the wii in its launch weekend in europe that's still just more than 320K, i think in Japan it sold around what the PS4 sold in its launch weekend which was around the same number.. so yeah. i heard something like attach rate of 9 out of every ten switch buyers also bought zelda so that's how it's not being blown out of the water

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 9, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think you can end up on the GG blacklist if you talk about it at all, positive or negative, because some people just dont want it in their feeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah but I think the blocklist was probably started around that time. Which also shows how long this bullshit has been going on

• Locked thread