Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

There are indoor cats???

I used to hate the idea of indoor cats since I grew up with outside/inside ones, but living in an urban area filled with cars and highways has meant raising two cats who are inside-only except my balcony. They are actually super scared of going outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Horizon Zero Dawn finished and platinumed. It was so good and like Nioh and New Doom completely caught me by surprise. I hope people I convinced to buy it like Palpek enjoy it as much as I did. Now, I'm onto Zelda and Nier: Automata but I haven't decided which one to do first. Guess I'll download the Nier demo and see if it digs its claws into me...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

A classic.

But yeah, my cats do their one big job well which is to kill any bugs that come in. They're pros at it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

In lieu of pretending to get sick to play Switch games, I went and actually got sick. Well, poo poo.

For the monkey paw wish to be complete, you have to be too sick to actually enjoy playing games. This happened to me last October.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Franchescanado posted:

I was gifted two games yesterday, I'd be happy to play either, so I need an outside force to pick which one I play

Should I play Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D or Final Fantasy XV?

I've never gone past the Goron section of MM and I haven't played a new FF since X on PS2.

Majora's Mask. FF15 is steadfastly serviceable at best with some long bad parts, while MM is a modern classic.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
oddium, I suggest giving Fez a try if you ever have a chance, despite Phil Fish's rightly earned reputation for being a dolt. It has a few decent cryptography puzzles in addition to a great soundtrack.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

I like Guitar Hero Live's control scheme better where it's two rows of 3 buttons

I guess it probably feels slightly closer to the real thing too maybe??? But I've never played a guitar so I don't know (Rocksmith always looked cool to me I don't know if that's still a thing)

It does feel more like a real guitar. At first it annoyed me but eventually I got used to it and felt it was a nice change-up. GH Live is pretty solid and I can safely recommend it but it still suffers most from song selection. It never really come close to hitting the high-water marks in the genre that are GH2 and RB2.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mass Effect, the Witcher....?

If you're going to Mass Effect and Witcher for the incredibly awkward sex scenes all I have to say is you're doing it right.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I read dev stuff and retrospectives because they are very interesting to me. I don't read reviews or listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos unless they're made by someone I'm already sure is funny. Unless CBA catches me on a slow day, I guess. When it comes to criticism and thinking about games in a broader context, I'll do it a fair bit but almost exclusively with people I know who like doing that. The reason being, if I write about it online, I run even odds of no one caring or whining that I'm attacking their game instead of "just playing it" or something. But speaking of criticism and taking a deeper look...

Nasgate posted:

I think the Zelda and Horizon comparison is interesting because it really brings forth the graphics vs gameplay debate in a new light. Graphics and Physics engines have both developed to the point where you can't have the best of both worlds.

The first example in those videos is grass but there's a couple interesting things to pinpoint.
1. For every blade of grass in zelda, there's at least 100 in Horizon.
2. The grass flattens before Link steps on it when it's short, which shows that the physics properties were created for the tall grass specifically

Something specificaly disingenuous about the comparisons though, is the camera focus. Horizon's focus is on the world itself, and the angle of the camera reflects that. You can see in the videos that the uploader has to constantly adjust the camera to keep it focused on the girl.
Meanwhile, Zelda is focused on Link interacting with the world. Likewise the Camera focused on Link in the center as the focal point.

As a result, I recall beautiful mountains in Horizon, none in Zelda. I recall the zigzag white stripe on Link's red bandana, and the girl in Horizon has a blue or green hair thing?

This is an incredibly insightful and I didn't think about third person character placement on screen in any indepth capacity until reading this. It's interesting to think about and you know the developers and designers put a ton of thought into this stuff. It's neat to think back through why they make the decisions they do because of where they want the player focused or how they want them to experience the game and characters.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 9, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fwiw I like that you post and what you have to say even when it occasionally annoys me. Chat threads wouldn't be the same without some hardcore Lurdiaking.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Heheh. I saw this post and then stealth edited the title :getin:

I love Video Games

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

What's everyone up to this morning?

I'm watching this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSDSuUJzKA

Hopefully by the time it is over, I'll be tired enough to get back to sleep. If not, they've got plenty more vids I can watch.

What about the rest of you, what are you all up to?

I'm pretty good. Been trucking through Picross and I'm on Picross e4 on the DS. It's a good palette cleanser after other big games and nice to play before going to sleep.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

You should, they're a really interesting combination of visual media and literature. It's a genre where I would barely classify it as a video game in the traditional sense but not having that label allows them to tell much more in-depth stories than games usually do.

edit: Although they do require a lengthy attention span because if your thoughts trail off while you're playing one you'll just be clicking through the dialogue without really reading it. So if you don't have that then maybe they're not for you, some people don't.

I mean, that goes for "reading" in general. If you're not reading, why are you doing it? Visual novels are basically slightly more interactive comics, which is to say, totally enjoyable if you find a setting and/or set of characters you like. I'd love to see writers in the west outside Telltale get more into it. Transmetropolitan: The VN, and such.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh I'd argue these can also be seen as negatives since it leads to less imagination when it comes to picturing what is going on. Also, I feel like books have more freedom in what they can do while the visual aspect of a visual novel seems to hinder it to some extent since everything that happens has to be something that can be, to some degree, shown.

I would argue that this is why VN's and comics are at their best when they use less realistic and more representative or abstract art. That lets your imagination still take a big part in the story-telling while also presenting art that can do things that just a simple realistic presentation couldn't. It lets you tell stories that are a lot more surreal but are less impenetrable than literature, where surreal narrative can be a lot more offputting.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I forgot this existed. I'm the girlfriend sitting there staring at the TV bored as hell on quaaludes because everyone is playing computer games and for some reason invited a bunch of people over to sit around and not play them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
As well as LBW.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
For example it purrs and eats lots of cake

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Macaluso posted:

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

What the gently caress even

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Doom, Final Fantasy 7, Golden Eye, Unreal, Doom 3, MGS2, Halo, Dead Rising, Final Fantasy 13, and more recently Uncharted 4 and HZD have all sort of caused me some future shock with graphics and design. It's rarer these days just because that poo poo is expected I guess. Growing up playing on an Apple II, Atari 2600, and Nintendo and now playing on a PS4,WiiU, and gaming PC means I have experienced nearly the entire gamut in real time and it kinda feels weird.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Cross posting this cuz lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The toddler march and wife panic are the best parts of the video, as is the baby waddling in all "WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Macaluso posted:

Lol yeah totally the best part is when the small child gets yanked by her arm really hard and dragged out of the room. Lol top memes

Small children are very durable. I was yanked a bunch as a kid because I was a wreckless little poo poo who would would constantly endanger myself in dumb ways either in the outdoors or in cities and never got hurt by the yanks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Biggest sigh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Playing BotW for the past couple days. It's really good but man are there some things that are kind of a drag. Stamina being used for so much and being such a limiter to exploring is the big one. The massive frame drops during battles and if I just turn the camera down in some areas is the other.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

when you can climb anything and everything it's only logical that stamina is the equalizer. I haven't even upgraded my stamina once and I've never felt I was hosed over by it, even going to the tip top of the huger mountains.

It has kept me from exploring some spots or making exploring those areas more tedious than it needed to be. Also it makes exploring through swimming kind of a pain.

Harrow posted:

I feel a bit better about sprinting stamina because Link moves at a pretty good pace by default, but I wish it wasn't used for normal swimming. It's not like you can't go out as far in the water as you want using the Cryonis rune, so it's not even that much of a limiter. It's just an annoyance.

My biggest issues with the game are all around combat balance, because the game goes from being crazy punishing to being extremely easy as soon as you get good armor and realize you can endlessly scarf down food in-combat. Weapon damage and armor defense have way too wide a range, which means that the balance between how much damage you take versus how many hearts you have is extremely spiky. It also makes the player far more gear-dependent in combat than I'd like--armor is so important if you don't want to spend all your time eating and waiting for fairies to revive you because some enemy's 40-damage weapon ate 10 of your hearts. In its current form, I think the game needs its easy access to fairy revival, temporary hearts, and instant healing, but I'd prefer a game with a little tighter damage/health balance and more limited healing instead.

Luckily the game is so ridiculously fun to explore, with great puzzles and so many cool little adventures that aren't even side quests to find, that the screwed up combat balance doesn't really hurt my enjoyment that much. But it could've been done a lot better.

I haven't played long enough to get that feeling with the combat yet. It's really fun to explore but yeah, after I play for a few hours it's really easy to look at something and go "this could have been a lot better if they tweaked [this element of the game] a little." I'm definitely understanding oddium and hurthling's complaints about the game.

At the same time, it's really fun and the puzzles are neat. Nothing that has hit the same level as the puzzle games people recommended to me here back in December but I'm not expecting anything on that level from an open world game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I think making the Champion weapons unbreakable would invalidate the game's weapon-scavenging system almost entirely unless the Champion weapons were also much weaker than they are now. Being able to reforge them is a good middle-ground, I think, though I'd rather it be more that you're repairing them because it feels weird to break an ancient heirloom and then make a replica like it's totally fine :v:

I found the durability system started making more sense when I started thinking of weapons like guns in Halo or something. Like, I can only carry two guns at a time in Halo, and if enemies stop dropping ammo for the gun I like to use, I eventually have to ditch it for one of their weapons and keep going. As long as I think of Breath of the Wild's weapons like that it started to get a lot less frustrating.

The durability system just needs tweaking. Unbreakable weapons that are middling in power and require some neat quest to get would be a nice addition. The throwing spear being ironically a great non-thrown weapon is really :what:

And yeah, their ubiquity kind it makes it feels like "eh what's the point though"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I think the main Zelda backlash will be "why did so many people perfect score this, it is not a perfect game, and that messed with expectations." The technical problems alone bring it down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who is stupid enough to think a perfect score means a perfect game probably has trouble figuring out that they should stop trying to breathe underwater.

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there video games with a co-op mode but playing single-player is better?

Imo SMB U, Tropical Freeze, and Rayman Legends are more fun in single player than coop because coop can be frustrating at times but the coop can still be enjoyable.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even know what I'm doing.

Is this for the MoO-like you've worked on?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

About half of Metacritic's top 20 best reviewed games contain games with performance issues. It includes Ocarina of Time (N64), Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3/360), Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3/360), and Perfect Dark (N64, RAM expansion for High resolution and most modes) Many remasters and ports with improved performance, such as GTA 5 (PS4/XB1) and The Last of US (PS4), scored about the same as their original releases.

This generation we've seen a number of games receive GoTY awards despite severe performance issues, such as Shadow of Mordor, Bloodbourne, and The Witcher 3. On the other hand, games with great performance and visuals but uninspiring gameplay or low content get eviscerated, such as The Order 1886. I guess the takeaway is that reviewers and players will forgive performance issues if the game is groundbreaking, fully-featured and engaging.

It's totally fair to value those things over performance but performance is still important and it's not a strictly either/or situation. Arguably it affects experience. Perfect Dark is the poster game for that in my opinion. It was nearly unplayable until we got the RAM upgrade. Even then, Golden Eye was a better game in its time, though the wall gun in Perfect Dark was really neat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

I don't agree that the stamina system is bad, beyond sprinting, nor the cooking system. I guess it'd be nice to be able to queue up multiple cooking recipes, but it's something that honestly has never crossed my mind so clearly the way you cook in-game isn't coming across as a flaw to me. The performance issues are undeniable, but when so much of the game is so good that I (a huge loving baby who is actually bothered by realizing I'm playing the game in 720p instead of 900p despite the miniscule difference that would make) can overlook them, the game must be pretty goddamn incredible.

While I think ImpAtom was being more combative than necessary there, I agree with the larger point that a game can still be a "10/10" game even with flaws. Even with noticeable flaws, even with non-subjective flaws like performance issues. It's why that "greater than the sum of its parts" statement exists, and while I think that might come across as meaningless nonsense to some people, it holds water with me. (Incidentally, I also think Dark Souls and Bloodborne are games that have serious flaws but that I'd also rate almost perfect to perfect because they subjective experience of playing them overrides their flaws). I guess I also draw a line between "flaws" (something that I think is an error in design or a technical problem but doesn't seriously hinder my enjoyment) and "defects" (a serious flaw that really does hinder my enjoyment) and I also acknowledge that the line between the two is incredibly subjective.

I think the other part is that when I see a 10/10 review, I know subjectivity is coming into it. I assume a pretty high degree of subjectivity with any review, but frankly, I don't think anything reaches 10/10 without a serious boost from the reviewer's subjective experience of it, and I'm okay with that.

The cooking really bugs me. Like the food and elixers are useful in the game but I can't cook 5 at a time easily with my giant pile of ingredients cuz ?

Fair points though.

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. If you think that the top score in a review means "literal perfection' then you are acting really dumb, yes. You're the one who decided I was somehow insulting you for not liking Zelda enough.

I didn't say literal perfection. I said perfect score and the fact that you're pushy and throw around insults for reasons I don't fully understand is the part I'm taking issue with. Like what Harrow said below basically.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, Bloodychill:

What game deserves a perfect score? Because right now your comment doesn't actually appear to differ between perfect score and literal perfection and the fact that you're taking it as an insult against you implies to me that is exactly what you mean.

Almost all the game mechanics go together very tightly and are well-designed, the game nails its visual and sound design, the game brings at least one new thing to the table, there are no game-breaking bugs, performance is at least serviceable, the (fairly subjective) quality of writing and story-telling are good if that's a factor in the game, and the very subjective "is this game fun as all hell." There can obviously be some give/take on each category. That's a perfect score.

Games that approach this over the past two years for me are Bloodborne (couple minor design issues like always needing to teleport through the dream, farming blood vials come to mind, performance was pretty awful in terms of loading and lost frames in some places), Link Between Worlds (my only issue was it was maybe a little too derivative of LttP, but that's about it), and maybe Titanfall 2 but I got super into the multiplayer so that got it over the line for some AI issues I ran into in the main campaign)... probably some others I can't think of.

I got some issues with Zelda's game design already mentioned, the sound design is kinda eh (music is overly sparse and cuts weird on zone, not a fan of the music anyway this time around), and the performance issues bug me a ton. I get major hang when fighting certain enemies like the game will freeze up for a couple seconds each time I attack them. The stamina is kind of a drag where I'll find myself in 127 Hours situations while climbing but be like sooo close to a ridge, it's odd to have stamina play into swimming, the treasure chests have big unlock sequences or can be tough to find but are lame and usually contain something not very interesting and they oddly removed the old Zelda mechanic where treasure chest quality denotes the quality of what's inside, the fire is neat at first but gets annoying as the game goes on (similar to Myth where I first saw that)the rock bosses get old quickly, the game feels aimless at times because of a weak narrative, the dungeons are underwhelming... I don't want to bitch too hard but all these little things add up to me feeling like they take away from the great things which are: The exploration is great and they give you a lot of good tools for it (towers, scope, horse, color fit highlighting unexplored shrines, the physics simulation stuff is really fun and feeds into the combat and exploration as well as the tools the games give you, the shrine puzzles can get pretty clever, the weather is really cool in how it affects the game though it can get in the way of exploration, the interaction with NPC's is really neat and a lot of them have cute quests, the combat is serviceable and the weapon selection is neat.

That was a lot of words but yeah. Oh also why can't I house and name the bear I tamed. Come on!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

If you're saying "approach that" then you've not actually answered the question. What is a 'perfect score" game. Not one that approaches it. A genuine game that you would go "This got 10/10 and deserves it." If you can't name a single game that deserves a perfect score then you're actually doing exactly what I said: creating an unobtainable ideal for no reason.

This is exactly the problem I mentioned before. Treating 10/10 not as "this is a top mark" but as a magical perfect unobtainable ideal which no game can match, and then getting upset when people actually use it.

If a paper deserves an A+, it gets an A+. If it doesn't, it doesn't and whining about it is stupid. Same goes for games. Of the games I mentioned, LBW is probably the only perfect score game. BB and TF2 are damned close.

There's nothing wrong in holding things to a high standard. It doesn't mean a 9 is "just good" or a 7 is trash. I wasn't one of myriad weirdos whining when Twlight Princess "only got an 88." So gently caress gently caress off with all that "magical impossible scores that no game could achieve." Like I laid out a pretty good metric there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a high standard. If you create something that nothing can reaching without you cheating (LBW has game-breaking glitches among other things so your argument that a game-breaking glitch disqualifies a game from a perfect score doesn't apply to it) then you're not holding things to a high standard, you're doing exactly what you claim you're not: creating an impossible standard. I

I mentioned give and take on the factors relatively. Some rare game-breaking glitch isn't a deal breaker. Lots of glitches or crashes tend to bring things down. I'm still not sure how it's an impossible standard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Again, a reviewer for a movie (for example) that gives it two thumbs up or four stars out of four isn't saying "this is a flawless masterpiece upon which no criticism can be made." Yet for no clear reason video game people want to hold 10/10 up to frankly absurd standards.

I do holds movies to a pretty high standard too while also readily enjoying a lot of pretty silly stuff because just because something isn't near perfectly executed in every way doesn't make it unenjoyable. That's the other half of this. A "3 star" movie or "7 point game" is still totally cool. Some janky-rear end "1 thumb mostly up" poo poo can be pretty fun from time to time.

Andrast posted:

So does literally every reviewer. People who gave BOTW great scores didn't think the flaws were big enough to lower the score for them personally.

Harrow made the same point and that's totally fair.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

This is the exact same thing that gets said by every person who does this. "Oh, I have high standards" and then an utter refusal to commit to actually saying what lives up to those standards. You're hemming and hawing over saying LBW does (and understandably because LBW has a massive boatload of huge design flaws that are ridiculously easy to point out and nobody who actually has high standards would ignore.)

Again, why have 10/10 on a score if it is never used? Why insist that 'perfect' is the highest ranking when no reasonable critic is ever going to pretend like a work is flawless and without error. Even the best movies having gaffs, even the best games have glitches and design flaws, and sometimes something can be a flaw to one person and not to another.

Even in my criteria, I left room for that. There's give and take between categories. I also explicitly said many of those categories are subjective and the implementation doesn't have to be 100% flawless in literally every respect.

In any case, if you want to have a discussion about flaws in LBW, I'm game. What were the flaws in game design that brought it down for you? Maybe you can swing my opinion about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Let's no-true-Scotsman these games to death.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Hell, I love LBW. I've finished it like half a dozen times and I think it's one of my favorite games ever. but here are just a few of its major flaws:

A) It is absurdly easy, basically impossible to die on after a certain point, and the 'hard' mode is locked behind finishing the game.
B) The dungeons are designed around specific items and as such have a massive constraint on how puzzles can be designed because it can never assume you have access to specific items, especially since you can lose items by dying.
C) The game's ease covers a massive flaw in that it overly punishes unskilled players by forcing them to grind money upon death or savescum just to advance the game.If you have genuinely bad players they're at risk of getting trapped into a constant grinding-losing-grinding cycle. If it was a harder game it would suffer badly for having a bad punishment cycle and it only gets around it by being so easy 90% of players probably die fewer than 3 times in the entire game. Connected to this is that the game is also absurdly over-generous with rupees because it has to compensate for that other 10% and so anyone even remotely good at the game probably has more rupees than the game gives you anything to buy with.
D) It's world map and general design is a straight rehash of LTTP and while it does enough to remain different it's hard to avoid that it only is a hair away from being the New Super Mario Bros of Zelda. This stands out most with Lorule which is just a budget knockoff of the Dark World and has very little original design to it, choosing instead to just limply repeat areas from the Dark World despite that making no real sense. It's actually very lacking in design creativity, pushing heavily on nostalgia to cover that fact. (And sometimes even relying on nostalgia to cover the fact it's doing a more normal thing, like how the Blind-knockoff boss is actually just a real boss and you genuinely save a girl instead of it being a trick.)

It's still an amazing game and one which I think is genuinely wonderful but I don't think it's perfect or even close, discounting glitches or other flaws. I don't think it's wrong for someone to give it a 10/10 though because the flaws I mentioned are serious to some people (especially the game's ease/locking away of Hero Mode which a lot of people have complained about) but that doesn't mean they're serious to everyone.

B is a given for many open games (and recurs in other Zelda games even) but I never actually considered C. That's a really good point about how the game could lock a very poor player into a lock cycle. Like you pointed out, the game does compensate for that by giving out tons of rupees. But, fair points.

To be fair, I started this out by saying I was surprised BotW had such universal acclaim (not that any one person gave it a 10) and I think I know why because of something RealHurthling said. The sound design is weak. That is one of those categories that has a really strong effect on me. It's why I have a hard time hating on Phil Fish too much, it's why I love Final Fantasy despite a lot of constant problems with it, it's why I loved Horizon despite some really glaring flaws, and it's why Xenoblade Chronicles X quickly evaporated from my memory, since the horrifically bad sound design sort of poisoned everything. It's definitely a big part of big "x factor" in how I rate things in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
1/10 games are funny because they are always irredeemable and it's always a real head scratcher as to why anyone worked on the game to begin with. There's a definite stench of developers being sold on lies by producers and executives whether about funding or committed features. If it's not that, it's the other way where someone unwise had a mediocre idea and got bad devs to work on it and everyone gave up at some point but they pushed it out to recoup money anyway.

• Locked thread