Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SJ is good, it's just...you have to have some determination/commitment to get through some of the floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly can't think of the last FPS I've played on a console so I don't know if I've ever had an opinion on the inverted/non-inverted debate. With 3rd person games I sometimes have to tweak the settings for camera controls but I can never remember which setting is my preference.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished both Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and Freedom Planet the other day.

Not sure I have any particularly strong feelings about Momodora. The story is relatively minimalist but not in a way that felt particularly interesting. I dunno, curses and evil queens and giant boob witches, something something. The exploration was also kind of a let down in that very few of your abilities actually open up new areas, instead you're really just getting keys to unlock doors.

Having been warned about the terrible story in Freedom Planet I went with classic mode and had a pretty great time, though the plot still seeps into the game at various points and yeah it seems dumb. Game itself played well enough and I liked the soundtrack. Difficulty was no joke towards the end, at least 50% of my 80 or so deaths were from the final couple of levels. I'll probably play the sequel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This, is a good reference.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm definitely reaching the point where even though I hate the idea of paying $60 for a video game, I feel I have to play Nier now to just get that story experience under my belt before the allure is lost or it gets spoiled or whatever. I was going to fire up MGSV as my first PS4 title but if that takes as long as it supposedly does then that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

I like metroid nes more than zero mission :twisted:
You know I'm kind of with you. I've definitely replayed NES Metroid far more frequently than Zero Mission. NES Metroid's only real problem is that they really should restart you with full life/missiles when you die; it's a game that is monumentally easier if you just beat it in one sitting so you can avoid having to spend 30 minutes recharging after putting in your password.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

i think i like link's awakening more than a link to the past
If it weren't the inventory management and the messages you get from bumping into rocks/pots, I would 100% agree. LA has great dungeon design, a very dense overworld with lots of secrets and unique personality, items that are a lot of fun to use and can do all kinds of fun stuff in and out of combat, and a surprisingly compelling narrative.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KingSlime posted:

Ys is a fun action adventure game that happens to have embarrassingly bad plots, characters, and art direction

like, deviantart levels of poo poo

it's weird I like the games a lot too but at the same time I'm very lukewarm about everything Ys that doesn't involve the music or the gameplay
I actually strongly disagree! Ys games just don't have enough plot content for it really good or bad, with 7 as maybe the only possible exception (including Celceta). With that I don't remember particularly caring for it but most of my lack of enthusiasm at the time I chalk up to the introduction of the party system.

It's not like this is Tales we're talking about here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Im in the process of replaying Ys: Memories of Celceta because I remember never actually finishing it and looking at the trophies I have it looks like I got to literally the last fight in the game and just dropping it for whatever reason. I am back in the final dungeon so I wonder what happens that must have made me ragequit back at release.
I don't really remember that fight being all that hard, assuming you're talking about the actual last battle. I do remember it having kickass music tho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd86VkThbK4

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Ys VIII definitely has probably 2 to 3 times more dialogue than Celceta but it's a still game where adol falls off a boat and then kills 10 million enemies with his sword
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed the Half-Life games but for whatever reason I've never really been upset at the thought of the idea of not having the sequel to finish it all up. Maybe because I got into that series relatively late? I played HL1 only the first time back when HL2 first came out and haven't really played either game since then, other than Black Mesa and the HL2 Episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was really looking forward to getting starting on Nier:A this weekend after finishing Woolly World, but then it turns out you have to beat all the bosses again and yet another bonus level to get the last couple of Yoshis so that's going to be put on hold for a little longer. Unless both turn out to be gigantic pains in the rear end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played a lot of JRPGs as a kid, and now I play a lot more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Some one should use that as an av....
That's enough, too far...

I think that's how that went.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

The concept of anyone enjoying Xenosaga is mystifying to me
Some people at one point in their young, idealistic, naive lives really liked Xenogears, and wanted to look forward to something, anything remotely like it.

I know I numbered among them for a time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hell yeah got the Shiny Platinum Yoshi and beat the boss tent. Now just to grab one last flower I missed in Star-S and then...soon....Nier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And having gotten that last flower, and now effectively snowed in until Sunday, I can now plan on playing a billion hours of Nier this weekend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Ys VI, though I haven't gotten around to beating it again on Steam with the better-looking sprites yet. It's definitely a step-down in terms of gameplay systems from Origin and Oath though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The music Ys VI is definitely :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU

• Locked thread