Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's the month of March. This is a good month for video games.

New or Recent releases this month:
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch)
  • Nier: Automata (PS4/PC)
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda (Multi)

Also releasing this month is the Nintendo Switch. Expect this to take up all the the lions share of attention this month.

Don't waste your time with this AAA (the A stands for rear end three times) garbage and play Night in the Woods instead. Crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can't spell Zelda without the letter Z. You also can't spell ZZZ without the letter Z. Makes you think

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Well, zzz sometimes follows that so.....

See there you go

*claps hands together*

boom

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tell Sony to release the game on PC so I can play it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Has anyone played BOTW on the WiiU to compare it to the Switch version in terms of performance/how much less pretty isit? It'll be a while before I can ever get a Switch, but I'd like to try BOTW on the WiiU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Digital Foundry has a youtube video out that compares the first hour of the two. At the end of the day they conclude that the Wii U version is pretty great and the Switch version looks mildly better on the screen (due to higher resolution) and has a few less frame drops while undocked (at the same resolution as the wii u version).

It basically sold me on getting zelda for the wii u.

edit: link to vid

Thanks didn't know about that video! It was helpful.

The FPS issues seem really strange to me. I know it's a huge open world but Nintendo is generally really goo when it comes to the FPS of their games, so it's strange to me that A) the game never really hits 60 on either console and B) the big frame drops can happen in different places on both games.

I think most people playing this game aren't going to care so it doesn't matter all that much it is slightly disappointing Nintendo couldn't get a consistent 60 fps in this game like they can a lot of their other first party stuff. It looks like the FPS problems are still pretty minor though

The game still looks really fun though regardless, it looks so much more different than other Zelda games, which I'm pretty lukewarm on the 3D Zeldas for the most part.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing it on WiiU and no major issues with it. I'm a massive stickler rear end in a top hat for framerates but nothing really comes up that's major enough for me to kill myself, game looks beautiful.

This is good to know! I'm also that way about framerates so that's good to hear

edit: now on to more pressing matters: Having to wait til APRIL to play the Shovel Knight DLC :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

All games should be on PC, all games deserve 60 fps

I mean Nintendo is generally pretty good at getting 60 fps for their games and they're never on PC. 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Smash, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker all ran at 60

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I kind of like Wayforward's cheesecake :shobon: Maybe I just really like their art a lot, both Shantae and the remastered Ducktales looks so good to me. That being said it's also cool what Yacht Club Games is doing. It's cool that they went the extra step to do the thing where you can chang the pronouns independently of the gender of the characters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pokket/status/838218431992328192

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

You gotta separate the artist from their work.

That gets harder and harder to do the more the artist does lovely things. As an example, I think Jontron's videos are great but he never stops being an idiot on twitter and I can only divorce Jontron the funny youtube man from Jontron the stupid twitter man for so long.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Are there any decent recent games where you give a squad orders then tell it to go and see how it goes, kinda like how you could for rainbow six: rogue spear?

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I tend to agree with most things Jim Sterling has to say, although I'm quite a bit more forgiving of Nintendo in general because despite so many of their terrible decisions, they have some of the best games in town so I feel like it evens out.

The past 3 Jimquisitions have been pretty great though IMO in terms of calling out lovely indie devs. I mean this latest on is an extra layer of :psyduck: even more so than Digital Homicide somehow

I don't get the Boglin thing though. They're so dumb looking

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Id imagine fairly few people keep their cat inside for reasons other than the cats own safety.

Yeah I don't give a gently caress about other species out there dying to my cat, i just want my sweet girl to not die to a coyote or something. Luckily she's terrified of the outdoors so no problemo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/arr/status/774855950070972417

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

babypolis posted:

ive been playing the gwent game lately and I find it a lot more enjoyable than hs simply because the art and lore are infinitely more interesting than stuff like "the frostwolf swordreavers of warblood tribe" or whatever other trashy nonsense hs devs are forced to use

Gwent is one of those things I just never got the appeal of. I tried to avoid it every chance I got in Witcher 3. In one of the DLC you're forced to play it at a party, but luckily you can forfeit that poo poo and get sweet donkey ears in the process

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Boosh.

I cannot tell you how many times I almost made 5 stars but then missed by a couple thousand points. It is a double digit number. According to scorehero I made the cut by like less than ten thousand points (my secret was using star power on the easy parts to boost my score and ignore actually hitting notes) so I am pretty ecstatic because it means I'll never have to do it again. :toot:

edit: My fingers hurt

Which game is this, guitar hero? the UI is hideous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh wow the part with the water. Even World of Warcraft has the water rippling around you and behind you when you swim around (at good water settings anyway). The HZD one ends up looking pretty unimpressive after showing Zelda doing the ripples.

"looking unimpressive" in terms of water ripples I mean, HZD looks gorgeous as hell, Nintendo just put a bit more effort to make the world intractable.

edit: Hm well the second video is a bit more damning lol. I had no idea you could climb up slopes you can't run up in BOTW :swoon:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 8, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Watching those videos feels like comparing the wrong kinds of games.
Zelda is wonderful, but Horizon is not trying to be what Zelda is and likewise.

Sure, but the video isn't comparing the two games as a whole, it's comparing them on little details that I think add to being immersed into a game. I mean I'm not shocked by HZD not allowing you to climb walls or arrows not taking into account the surface they are being shot at or electricity arrows killing fish. But little things like fish not swimming away from you when you get close, grass and bushes not moving a little when you walk on them, the character not dripping when coming out of the water (granted she is shinier for a minute), snow not leaving footsteps in the ground behind you, etc. Like these seem like just basic details to have in a game and it's noticeable when they're not there. Comparing things like combat and story and art style would be impossible because they want to do different things.

But like... at least leave footprints in the snow Aloy, Secret Ghost Girl

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

When do the horizon/zelda comparisons stop

When the two games are no longer......................................................linked

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

FAK at least admit that you have the best avatar

Whoa hold on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Sierra games were deliberately obtuse so they'd make money off you phoning the helpline.

If I remember right there was a puzzle in at least one of the games where you had to have the actual case of the game to solve it. There was a thing on a wall in a code that you needed to decipher and you couldn't actually decipher it with anything in game, you needed to look up the legend or something on the case or in the instruction book or whatever.

It's funny how prevalent things like that were back in the day. Not so much things trying to stop you from pirating games like that, but more things that are just like "why would I ever know that?". There's a part in Castlevania II where you have to like... hold down on the edge of a lake to make stairs appear to go down past the lake?? Like how would you ever know to do that? Perhaps one of the townsfolks said some weird cryptic poo poo that vaguely resembled doing that but who knows

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I gotta be real: I think with the exception of Yooka and Laylee themselves, the character designs in that game are awful. Every time they show off a new character art, it always looks really ugly. Maybe that's intentional? The villain doesn't look TOO bad and the minecart guy looks alright but like that duck thing? The octopus girl? The little blue minion guys? This weird tree thing they showed on twitter today?

Like I dunno, maybe just me but I think a lot of the character designs in the game look very unappealing. Hopefully the gameplay ends up being really good though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

oddium posted:

wait those are your exceptions really

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm playing Hallow Knight! The sword slashing feels very good. I would like to stop getting hit with random stalactites that you have very little warning about. I'm very intrigued in the world but I wish there was a bit more color. And by a bit more color I mean like... any color. What color there is is muted which is what they're going for I guess, I just like color. Ori and the Blind Forest for instance had a similar melancholy vibe while keeping things pretty colorful. The jumping takes some getting used to because you can instantly move left or right in the middle of a jump instead of the more having to commit to a direction like most platformers. The map system is neat how you have to keep the map updated yourself as you discover more of the caves, and you can buy things that allow you to see where you are on the map and stuff. I feel like the game is holding out on me with a double jump and I would very much like to get it please

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I think we should give yooka laylee a chance

If the gameplay is good that's all I really need. The game is still not lookin good visually tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mario 3D World kicks rear end, and has some of the best platforming. Champion's Road is top fuckin notch Nintendo work

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fI6e8Rvgc

:dance:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Cross posting this cuz lol

This video starts off funny with the kids barging in but then the dad just kind of casually pushes one back and then the mom or babysitter (?) come rushing in and just yank that one little girl by the arm really hard. It's like jesus christ these kids barging into your super important news broadcast is not THAT big of a deal man

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

babypolis posted:

It's funny because the guy probably thought "this is my big moment and I wont let my kids ruin it!" but since he was such an rear end in a top hat everyone is gonna hate him and his career as a tv personality is dead.

I mean... I haven't actually seen anyone post that video and not also say how LOL hilarious it is. I don't think he's gonna have to worry.

oddium posted:

experts agree: the best part of the video is all of it

Lol yeah totally the best part is when the small child gets yanked by her arm really hard and dragged out of the room. Lol top memes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Small children are very durable. I was yanked a bunch as a kid because I was a wreckless little poo poo who would would constantly endanger myself in dumb ways either in the outdoors or in cities and never got hurt by the yanks.

I mean I guess it's possible there was a live panther or running chainsaw just out of camera's view we couldn't see

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rise of the Tomb Raider completion question:

I'm at 84% done on Geothermal I'm missing 3 challenges, one mission, two survival caches. I'm at the point in the story where I need to go back through the Soviet Installation and rescue Jonah. Is there more story after I do that that'll bring me back here to unlock more stuff in the area or am I just somehow completely missing some stuff (I feel like I've swept every inch of Geothermal Valley).

Rescuing Jonah feels very end-gamey

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 10, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

There's an entire other major area that's going to open up shortly after that sequence. Your final campfire save before the last boss literally has a pop-up message saying THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN and even then you can go back and 100% everything once the game is finished.

E: I had to just google some of the cache locations to 100% the entire game because some of them are tricky to find.

Oh okay cool

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tropical Freeze is nearly a perfect video game, but the game gets a billion times harder if you play it co-op

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally tried out Thumper and :catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Genre confusion is a problem that only people on the internet can have, meanwhile any 12-year old who has read a book can implicitly grasp what is sci-fi and what is fantasy, as well as realize that hot dogs aren't sandwiches and cereal isn't soup, because they're not dumb retards.

The milk that's leftover after you're done with the cereal is kind of like a soup

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Note that you eat soup, you don't drink it

Bullshit, that's what makes soup so worthless as a meal in the first place. It's just a flavored warm drink!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

How about the new Tomb Raiders?

It's good. It's loving buggy as all hell for some reason, but it's still really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hello Rare and Hat in Time devs, please remove Jontron's voice from Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time thank you

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

• Locked thread