Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's most internet communities full of dudes in general. Bioshock, GTAIV (this one had its own sub-forum here back then even, with goons gushing over it), Witcher 2, etc. pretty much any hyped and well received game is despised by the usual suspects over at NeoGAF, 4chan and here after a few months. MGS4 had very positive reviews from both ~~professional~~ critics and regular players and the hardcore hate it nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought that theme last year and it's probably the best purchase I've made on the PS4 tbh.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ReCore was hardly an AAA game and pretty decent despite Keiji Inafune and Microsoft being involved, no matter how minimal that involvement was.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure the Doom devs didn't give a gently caress about the multiplayer and neither should you.

They were banking on the MP being a Big Deal (hence the multiple alphas and beta) and the SP bombing actually.

quote:

Bethesda’s VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines has said that he was “surprised” by just how much people took to DOOM’s single-player campaign.

Hines explained him and other various people at Bethesda were worried about the game drawing middling review scores and players, for its more traditional, old-school approach.

“If you are at Bethesda and play the single-player, you might think it’s really fun and different. But you don’t know if you’re drinking your own kool-aid… is it really fun? Or are people going to play it and dislike the fact there’s no voiced protagonist, or the fact there’s no real story, and will they say: ‘id Software hasn’t got out of the 1990s. Same old, same old. 6/10’. You never know which of those two scenarios you’ll end up getting.”

Hines went on to add how he thinks the single-player demo launched a month after its release in June helped lure gamers in.

“We did the single-player demo after launch,” Hines continued. “We had showed off the multiplayer, but we hadn’t managed to show as much of the single-player. So giving folks the chance to try it… well it turned out to be a good idea.”

A free update for DOOM’s campaign mode introducing a brand new Arcade mode is set to release later this year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm gonna name my kid WAR DESTROYER after my Fallout 4 character.

Edit: Doom Slayer would be a good name for a kid too regardless of gender

Jay Rust posted:

So is Dishonored 2 any good?

Dishonored 2 owns but the plot is somehow even worse than 1's. You can easily ignore it though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Switch isn't a real video game console since it doesn't have a port of Resident Evil 4

I really want one...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's a rumour going for over a year now where it'll be a game where you play as Batman's son and it's completely disconnected from the Arkham universe despite having similar gameplay. ~~Rumours~~ also say it'll scrap the one nigh plot point all Arkham games had, take place in Gotham and have civilians.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3 is just Dead Space 2 2 if you don't play it in co-op so that'd be my answer.

It also has significantly worse level design, less enemy variety and worse writing in cutscenes that you can't skip.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'll say that I adore the Dead Space franchise and 3 isn't a bad game (it's fun, even more so in co-op), but it was a crushing disappointment compared to 2 which was incredible and a huge improvement over the already great first game.

I got a good laugh out of 3's DLC's ending, though. How it retcons the game's happy ending and ends with the ridiculous killer moons about to destroy Earth and the universe. It's pretty obvious they intended to follow up on that with a fourth game, but with the franchise being dead (heh!!!) that's a pretty unintentionally bleak ending.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

if you mean painkiller black, then yes. it's great! DO NOT PLAY ANY OTHER PAINKILLER YOU WILL REGRET IT

Painkiller Overdose is all right if you really want more Painkiller after finishing the original and its expansion. The rest are irredeemable garbage.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am trying to find a Hitman video I once saw where Agent 47 electrocuted someone in a puddle, and then when someone came over to investigate, he would electrocute them too, until there was just a big pile of 20 bodies yet people kept coming over to investigate, it was the most hilarious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65IPyQBgbF8

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mass Effect Andromeda is the first ME related thing I've played since 2 came out and starting it on Hardcore difficulty was probably a pretty terrible idea. I'm 3 hours in and enemies are gigantic bullet sponges with pinpoint accuracy that kill you in 2 seconds from off-screen. Welp.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Max Payne 3 has its flaws but I really like it because it has an unintentionally emotionally powerful ending and is the perfect end point for the franchise (more so than 2) unless they reboot it. Any other studio would've went with something artsy and laughably dramatic like the main character killing himself or having a heroic last stand but Rockstar didn't.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I do know MP3 has its fans, though. I wonder how many MP3 fans played that as their first Max Payne game, versus people like me who had their expectations set with 1 and 2

fwiw I played the first and second a ton during their respective releases and even posted in the 3DRealms MP boards back in the day. Even used MaxED to make a bunch of lovely custom levels for 1 and 2 that I never released.

GUI fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 25, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

All Max Payne games are cover shooters during your first playthrough, all the crazy stunts come during replays when you've learned enemy locations. 1 is easily the hardest of the trilogy and you'll spend plenty of time exploiting the camera to peek around corners, especially since the dynamic difficulty is broken and was never fixed, so near the end of the game you'll spend most of your time being one-shotted unless you've memorized where everyone is.

Edit: I forgot rolling sideways in Max Payne 1 completely breaks the enemy AI, so you can exploit that if you want.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is awesome. You get to be Riddick and he will Riddickize anything you say.

NPC: Hey Riddick maybe you can help me out, I need a hydrospanner from the mess hall and I don't know how to get it.
*player chooses 'Ok I'll help you no problem' from the dialog menu*
Riddick: *noncommittal grunt*

NPC: Hey Riddick can you go talk to that guard in Cell Block 10, he owes me a pack of cigs and a letter from my girl but the entire block is controlled by the Skull Boyz and so I can't get through to talk to him.
*player chooses 'Sure sounds good' from the menu*
Riddick: *brandishes shiv* It'll cost you.

Who can forget the classic DON'T WANT IT which amused me enough to record it like 7 years ago

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The irreverent ~~rip and tear~~ cutscenes in the early parts of Doom were added extremely late into the game's development and even the developers were unsure about how they'd be received, that's probably why there's so few of them and they vanish only to be replaced by the HL2 style "locked in a room while someone talks" one(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In Training posted:

are you insane

doom 2016 and hotel dusk are the only video games with good writing tbh

• Locked thread