Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uuuugh, so many games. My kickstarters for Torment and Night in the Woods (and also Gloomhaven, a huge dungeon crawler boardgame) just came in. I also want Nier, Horizon and Mass Effect for the MP. Life is so difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a kitten posted:

I'm sort of suffering from a mild future shock from the graphics in HZD.

They are pretty amazing, but 6 year old Aloy from the prologue is maybe the most uncanny valley thing I've ever seen in a videogame. I was afraid she'd be like that as an adult to but it's much better then.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

"Dad, why did Aunt Sally name my cousin Diamond?"

"Because she loves diamonds, they're her favorite thing in the world."

"And where did you get my name from, Dad?"

"Shut up and do your homework, Ys: The Oath in Felghana."

Just sent in preshcool applications for my son, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

FFXV is bad because it's a mess of a rushed half-of-a-game with terrible characters, terrible writing, a wonky battle system, and an open world that is too small and insanely bland.

I wouldn't say the open world is too small, there's just nothing much in it. The combat system also never really went anywhere from the very beginning of the game, The story felt like it was missing an act. I guess since they're apparently adding a bunch of story content in patches it actually was.

I liked Prompto and Ignis.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mario Sunshine is my favourite 3D Mario :shobon:

Same. Probably the most flawed of the 3D Marios, but I like the exploration based platforming and Sunshine took it the furthest of any of them.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad

This is seriously underselling. It was easily the worst major MMO release I've ever played and I've played a lot of poo poo MMOs. It was well under the bar set by Age of Conan and Hellgate: London.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 10, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that Platinum Ninja Turtles game any good?

It is in fact really bad. It makes that Korra game look like Bayonetta.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I mean if I was a reviewer I would personally find it hard to not be comparing Ori and the Blind Forest to Hollow Knight the entire time, cause they're similar in a ton of ways. And Hallow Knight wouldn't come out anywhere near as good to me because Ori is one of the best platformers I've played... ever in my life. I'd totally be fawning over Ori too

Granted I'd probably mention that bias up front though

Personally everything about Hollow Knight is knocking it out of the park for me while I was never too impressed with anything in Ori aside from the graphics. For some reason the gameplay in Ori tended to sort of rub me the wrong way. I'm liking Hollow Knight's a lot better, and I think all the Dark Souls influence really helps it stand out, as long as you're a fan of Dark Souls style setting and storytelling. I could definitely see getting annoyed at all of the anti-QoL features like the mapping but personally they're really helping me feel immersed in the game. It really feels like you're exploring an ancient lost kingdom rather than trying to get to the boss of level 4, which is pretty rare for me with this kind of game.

Palpek posted:

I'd wait for more people to play Andromeda before dogpiling on it. People realized pretty quickly when Dragon Age 2 was awful so it's not like there's some extreme headstart needed.

I'm assuming the multiplayer will be at least a good as ME3s, which is the main reason I want it. It seems like it would be hard to mess up since all the have to do is take ME3 multiplayers and put Andromeda assets in it, but after Inquisition's MP being kinda lousy I'm still going to wait,

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 15, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know if there are Assassin's Creed megafans now but I'm talking about the original Assassin's Creed which was a mega-hype thing. People were super excited about it and it had a metric shitload of push behind it and people were genuinely expecting it to redefine gaming entirely.

Well, it did sort of launch the erase-icons-off-the-map'em-up genre which has now become the default form of videogame.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Was it Kingdom Hearts 2 that had a ludicrously long introductory segment which people unironically defended with "just stick with it, it gets better after the first 20 hours" or something?

FFXIII definitely took double digit hours ebfore you felt like you had finally started playing the real game. I think the Roxas part in Kingdom Hearts only took like an hour but it felt like forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had new entries in the franchise on a regular basis including a prequel which is basically as much a KH3 as KH3 will end up being. It isn't like nothing has come out between KH2 and KH3.

Edit: Like for good or ill KH3 has a ton of poo poo that is going to assume you played through the prequel and sequel games outside of KH2. Otherwise you're gonna have no loving idea who the poo poo these Aqua/Ventus/Terra people are.

Better than Bioware games that expect you to have read videogame tie-in novels. Some of the non-numbered KH entries are good, even.

• Locked thread