Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr Cheeto posted:

My superhuman ability of "not having grown up with a game console" and then playing Chrono Trigger DS last year allows me to say that it's a great game and people are right to be fond of it.

It makes me sad that the DS version doesn't have Woolsey's translation. :(

Raxivace posted:

Chrono Trigger is good and Robo did a swell job with that forest.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's 99% Woolsey's script.

The changes were pretty noticeable!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I watched someone stream Nier for 2 and a half hours the other day and I can say this about it:

1 - People in chat were really angry that the player wouldn't self-destruct so they could see the butt.

2 - The game is really boring if you're a dummy who takes 2 and a half hours to get out of the tutorial.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the reasons Lufia 2, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are some of my favorite RPGs is that they don't really have random encounters. I mean Lufia 2 has them on the world map, but not in dungeons. It's just a bad system, flat-out, and the games that have random encounters that I enjoy are enjoyed in spite of it. The only way to make something like random encounters interesting is if they are truly random in the sense that they can be something other than just combat, like Fallout 1 and 2's map encounters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Motto posted:

and tbh CT's map encounters were just as bad as random ones could be whenever backtracking was a possibility

No way. Not only were they static and thus perfectly mapped to the game and individual dungeons' intended difficulty curve, they had cool little vignettes for every one you triggered. Plus it was extremely rare that the game asked you to backtrack through encounter triggers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phantasium posted:

That's why I like action rpgs, where random encounters are a treat and I try to trigger more of them.

I should play Tales of Eternia again.

Even in Yakuza or whatever, it's never fun to constantly be interrupted when you're trying to get from Point A to Point B.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is true of most developers you can actually name though. Like Kojima :ssh:

Amen to that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

0 solved that by letting you throw money to distract enemies

Everything about Zero makes it sound like the best Yakuza yet. It even has a plot that almost makes sense!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Celery Jello posted:

Hey now, L.A. Noire was fun. In its own way.

Restoring the "Truth" and "Doubt" buttons to their original labeling of "good cop/bad cop" or whatever it was improves the game a lot.

That game's production was a loving mess, it's amazing a functional final product came out of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Blah hospitals suck, there are no video games here and I'm stuck in bed :(

You shoulda brought your Nintendo Switch™! *CLICK*

I hope your hospital stay is brief and painless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

wow these april fool's jokes are getting meta

Oh man, you got owned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why is this thread still stickied and open.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Destroying a video game disk or cartridge or console is such an early YouTube edgelord thing to do

Rich Evans said for months that if anyone sends him a copy of the game he'd destroy it, I doubt they would've made the episode at all if people didn't insist on sending him one anyway, hoping that he'd somehow change his mind and give the game a fair shake.

It's like when that one guy sent him a curated selection of "the best animes" and got really mad that Rich didn't bother watching them because he doesn't like anime and has no intention of trying to "get into" anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's also possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wanna know what was in that guy's "best anime" selection.

If I was obsessive enough to go through old archived streams I could probably tell you. Dollars to donuts Cowboy Bebop was in there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is definitely a type of anime fan who is Big Into Nazis and it is pretty horrifying and gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJXSWfT04M

• Locked thread