Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey, it's March and we're talking about Australian Politics!

In Recent News:
The Fair Work Commission - an independent body - handed down a ruling that essentially said "society sees working on Sunday as a greater hassle than any other day but lol if we're going to pay you more for it" reducing hospitality and retail workers award rates to be more in line with Saturday.

Tony Abbott continues to be a glaring hypocrite by being the Rudd to Turnbull's Gillard, despite the fact that Rudd was actually popular with people and unpopular with his party, where Abbott is unpopular with absolutely everyone.

WA state election is coming up and there's been some furore about the Libs preferencing One Nation over the Nationals. This is actually the Libs looking to the future instead of the 50's for a change and realising that the Nationals are dead as a loving dodo.

The Parties and Their Leaders:

The Liberals

Lead by Malcolm Turnbull George Christensen, the Liberal/National coalition stand for all that's w/right in Australia. They're currently sitting on a minority government with a slim margin, and dealing with sniping from former leader Tony Abbott. Universally reviled SA senator Cory Bernardi recently left the party to form his own conversative party (bringing the count of Australian conservative parties up to loving 5) so hopefully this it the last time we'll ever need to talk about him.

Lab-ah

Run by Bill Shorten Joe De Bruyn and the Shoppies Union, the Labor party stands for regaining power and doing whatever the right faction of the caucus wants. Shorten's current strategy is to sit back and watch the Libs eat each other.

Pauline Hanson's One Nation

Despite the name this party now simply copies whatever dear leader Trump does. They have 4 senate seats thanks to a Double Dissolution election and are gaining power in WA in QLD.

The Greens

Australia's only truly left party, the Greens look to leader Karl Marx to light the way while some faux-leftie named Di Natale sends out Facebook posts and tries to ignore the SALTies attempting splits in NSW.

quote:

There is an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where Australians discuss things, presumably dark spooky things that man was not meant to know.

IRC Rules: Don't be a shithead, don't say racist, sexist, or nasty things. Don't discuss verboten topics.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Liberal Party on Bikes

Australia's only truly left party, the Greens look to leader Karl Marx to light the way while some faux-leftie named Di Natale sends out Facebook posts and tries to ignore the SALTies attempting splits in NSW.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

noice

Also, be afraid:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/think-trumps-travel-ban-was-bad-peter-dutton-may-soon-have-the-power-to-play-god

The Guardian posted:

Think Trump’s travel ban was bad? Peter Dutton may soon have the power to play God

The world reacted in horror as President Trump’s executive order to limit travel from seven Muslim-majority nations saw families torn apart and citizens refused entry at US airports. US courts have blocked the order for now, yet Australia’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton, seeks those very same draconian powers.

Two bills currently before federal parliament are an attempt to significantly expand Dutton’s Trump-like powers. This expansion would increase his power, decrease government accountability and all but write out the courts’ review powers. They would allow the immigration minister to play God; to make significant decisions that would affect the lives of vulnerable people, and to do so unchecked.

Information about a welfare recipient is considered protected but there are exceptions to the rule

The first is the “visa ban bill”, formally the Migration Legislation Amendment (Regional Processing Cohort) Bill 2016 – a proposed law that would prevent any adult taken to Nauru or Manus Island after 19 July 2013 from ever making a valid Australian visa application. It applies to asylum seekers intercepted at sea and taken to Nauru or Manus, including those currently in Australia for medical treatment.

The visa ban bill contravenes Australia’s international human rights obligations. Refugee law experts, human rights advocates and even the Labor party, which reintroduced the use of detention centres on Nauru and Manus, argue the bill is inhumane, discriminatory and pointless.

In a similar vein to Trump’s executive order, this ban will separate families.

The only so-called safeguard is that the minister would have the power to overrule the visa ban in individual cases when he considers it is in “the public interest”. Of course, a safeguard that relies on the whim of the decision-maker, with no independent oversight, is no safeguard at all.

The second bill, currently before the Senate, is the Migration Amendment (Visa Revalidation and Other Measures) Bill 2016. This bill allows the minister to personally issue a revalidation requirement for entire specified cohorts of visa holders, immediately preventing them from being able to enter Australia until their visa is revalidated. The power is not limited to any particular class of visa.

This power may be exercised on the basis of defined criteria, such as health checks, but may also be exercised when the minister considers it is in “the public interest” to do so. The unfettered, exceptionally broad power this gives the minister over any individual residing in Australia, who does not hold Australian citizenship, is alarming.

Refugees are too often described by politicians and parts of the media as a problem. But behind the headlines are people with powerful personal stories. The Guardian’s Dear Australia project is a new series that will hear the firsthand testaments of refugees and asylum seekers. Together their videos will tell the larger story of those who seek sanctuary to build new lives in Australia

These bills allow just one person – the immigration minister – to make substantial and permanent decisions about another person’s life: whether a young woman will be sent back to the persecution from which she fled; whether a baby born in Australia to asylum seekers will be allowed to grow up with his or her parents; whether a person will have their visa cancelled without warning or opportunity to apply for its reinstatement.

The minister’s decision is virtually unreviewable unlike Trump’s executive order which, we have seen, the courts can interrogate.

Liberty Victoria’s Young Liberty for Law Reform has comprehensively reviewed the past 60 years of Australia’s immigration laws and found a troubling increase in decision-making powers that include “public interest” as a condition for the exercise of a non-reviewable, non-compellable ministerial discretion.

Public interest has been described by the courts as entirely discretionary and politically motivated. So, Dutton can decide whether to exercise his decision-making power and he defines what the public interest is. No checks. No balances. No accountability.

The government argues that ministerial discretion is necessary in migration matters, and that it is often used in compassionate cases. That does not mean that this power always achieves compassionate outcomes.

While increasing the minister’s powers, these two bills also sideline the checks and balances that keep our government accountable.

Powers of this kind have long been criticised. As far back as 1989 the then-immigration minister, Robert Ray, attempted to remove all ministerial discretion from the Migration Act, stating: “Decision-making guidelines are perceived to be obscure, arbitrarily changed and applied, and subject to day-to-day political intervention in individual cases.”

In 2004, a Senate inquiry into ministerial discretion in migration recommended that these powers should be “a last resort to deal with cases that a truly exceptional or unforeseeable.”

The committee found the minister’s ability to “micro-manage” the immigration system concerning, given it “creates the possibility and perception of corruption.” And in 2008 then-immigration minister Chris Evans stated he was uncomfortable with the unprecedented power given to the immigration minister because these powers lack transparency, accountability, appeal rights and allowed him to “play God.”

Discretionary ministerial powers were originally established to prevent injustice. They were a tool to fix anomalies, a safety net reserved for extraordinary cases, and a power to override the missteps of a blind bureaucracy.

These bills increase Dutton’s ability to make life or death decisions. They allow him to decide which families get to be together and which don’t. They do all of this while simultaneously eroding the safeguards that were designed to protect fair decision-making.

The minister must not be allowed to play God.

Why would he even want to be PM when he can wield so much power?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I don't think Dutton will want to give up his black shirted stormtrooper wannabes either.

If they at least wore the plastic armor I might have a bit more respect for them because that shows some effort, you know.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There is a pro-abortion rally in Brisbane right now!

I would normally be there but I'm currently doing my own research so I am trapped in the lab (y i k e s)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Gas Australia, Ban OP

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Are we in a recession yet?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Lab-ah

Run by Bill Shorten Joe De Bruyn and the Shoppies Union, the Labor party stands for regaining power and doing whatever the right faction of the caucus wants. Shorten's current strategy is to sit back and watch the Libs eat each other.

Joe De Bruyn is a dutchman who hates dykes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CFMEUWA/status/836808885910519809

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does Morrison always wear a flag pin?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

he isn't really a small "l" liberal though

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

From the other thread:

quote:

The Brisbane tradie sponsoring a prominent neo-Nazi website
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...228-gunj2l.html

Their business website is something else.
The top half looks like your typical DIY webpage from 15 years ago, and then the second half :staredog:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm so glad you brought that over - he's a full on fake news, white supremacist, misogynist Trump supporter.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Recoome posted:

There is a pro-abortion rally in Brisbane right now!

I would normally be there but I'm currently doing my own research so I am trapped in the lab (y i k e s)

Mandatory post-birth abortion for all Australians imo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tokamak posted:

From the other thread:

Their business website is something else.
The top half looks like your typical DIY webpage from 15 years ago, and then the second half :staredog:

Fixed link.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'd quote the guy's response, but I don't want that poo poo in my posting history.
What I will say is, holy poo poo this guy is an intellectual titan. Right up there with the very finest minds of our world. Clearly takes the time and effort to ensure his points are well articulated and come across in a very poignant and - some would even dare say - sane fashion.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Why have they glommed onto pepe the frog?

Is it because all btards were always Nazis and I never realised?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hiddenmovement posted:

Why have they glommed onto pepe the frog?

Is it because all btards were always Nazis and I never realised?

Not all, but an environment that tolerates ironic racism has trouble stamping out actual racism.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I don't think you can ever be an ironic Nazi any more than you can be half pregnant.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well, there's been some interesting things coming off the back of the failed attempt to decriminalise abortion in QLD. Firstly, the Women's Abortion Rights Campaign ended up learning the hard way that having TERF-sympathetic members was really bad for the movement in general and is now attempting to be more inclusive. This is pretty cool because it now means that all the major movers/shakers in favor of abortion rights are all on the same page, so I don't think we'll have the same amounts of territorialism we've had previously. It sucks that it basically took a major tactical defeat in order to learn this lesson.

The LNP have well and truly decided that going further right is the best course of action, and thus far have done this as a unified bloc. There's no questioning that these guys (all of them) were pretty confident in their ability to shrug off negative press/opinions regarding their opinions re: abortions. I'm assuming that they are worried about the rise of PHON at the state level, so there's no real reason for them to go any further left.

The lobby groups such as the ACL and Cherish Life have been buoyed by the withdrawal of the legislation (it's a tactical victory for anti-abortion rights groups), and will probably continue to bitterly contest any attempt to decriminalise abortion (especially now that they have a win under their belt).

The ALP, while hamstrung by the minority government, were not voting as a unified bloc for decriminalisation, and have instead referred the legislation to the Law Reform commission (IIRC). I don't feel like there's been a lot of strong opinions/positions coming from the Government here, and I believe that they will be wedged between this issue and the Adani mines in the next election (which is this year). I think they've shot themselves in the foot here because they don't have anything to lose by coming out and supporting abortion (except the right wing of the ALP, I guess) because they were never going to capture conservative votes from the LNP/PHON.

Basically the whole thing is up in the air AND predicated on the ALP winning a majority government in QLD this year. It's not really a likely outcome at all, so we are probably looking at another 10-20 years before this comes up again.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Recoome posted:

we are probably looking at another 10-20 years before this comes up again.

Farkin hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The federal government is happy to step in to prevent marriage equality by rewriting federal laws. Why can't they step in and simply override Queensland's stupid loving ban by making federal legislation legalising it?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Wait, women in QLD can't get abortions?
Holy poo poo that's pathetic, gently caress you QLD!
I guess there's a few select super-popular clinics right over the border in actual modern civilisation (NSW)?
They're also rolling back flouridisation in some areas, right? What a shithole, no wonder the PHON vote is so high; anyone with half a loving brain would just move.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm seeing on social media people who I previously thought were rational and anti-racist leaning towards PHON and spreading PHON garbage here in WA. I have NFI what is going on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

cheese-cube posted:

I'm seeing on social media people who I previously thought were rational and anti-racist leaning towards PHON and spreading PHON garbage here in WA. I have NFI what is going on.

Entropy.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This budget is going to be fun.

How can ScoMo claw back some support in the polls while keeping the lunar right happy while producing something that actually has a chance of getting through the senate while sucking on the chode of big business?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Women in QLD can access abortions, however it's because they aren't enforcing that law at this moment and technically this could change at any moment (like if a conservative govt came to power)

It probably also impacts service availability

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/extech-sicen-sun-made-replica-guns-in-lounge-room-using-3d-printer-court-hears-20170301-gunws8.html
Police say they have seen an emerging trend in the manufacture and subsequent sale of 3D firearms, which can be made to shoot bullets.
:ohdear:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I would have thought it would have an effect on malpractice insurance too

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/836483581417414656

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Roberts is pretty clearly having a different conversation in his head than the one happening in the chamber.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it must be fun to have two separate estimates briefs; one for normal people questions and one for mentally ill pieces of poo poo like roberts

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Roberts just called the Guardian 'fake news' in estimates so there is that.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Roberts just called the Guardian 'fake news' in estimates so there is that.

Is this the first time in linguistics history when we can determine the precise time and date a phrase completely inverted in meaning? Like, it didn't exist until around June last year, then flipped meaning in late-October then stopped having any meaning by December.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Eric Abetz has said no worker should be worse off under the penalty rate cuts, and thus they should only apply to new workers.
So he is acknowledging the the change to penalty rates makes workers worse off, but is advocating for wages to shrink in the future.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah it's cool that fake news had a meaning once but smooth brained dullards have turned it into 'thing i dislike'

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why has australian labour been such a wretched third way sellout party, apparantly for its entire existence, before it was cool?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

trotskyist infiltrators

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can we get this added to the OP?

https://twitter.com/rpy/status/835770761679785984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

BBJoey posted:

yeah it's cool that fake news had a meaning once but smooth brained dullards have turned it into 'thing i dislike'

Same thing happened with "troll" when people over 40 started using it on the internet.

• Locked thread