Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The combine continues until March 6th. I dont see a thread about the Combine.

NFL Teams have until 4pm Today, March 1st, to designate Franchise Tagged players.

March 7-9: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9.

March 9: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2017 on all players who have option clauses in their 2016 contracts.

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2016 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit. Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2017 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time. All 2016 player contracts expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time. The 2016 league year and free agency period begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time. The first day of the 2017 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

Free Agency thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810811

The next exciting thing is the 2017 Schedule coming out in April (big event woo! lol) then the draft at the end of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fournette fatter than Eddie Lacy.

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/836960547413319680

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Chiefs aren't tagging Poe. They prob don't even have the money to do so.

I miss Jamaal Charles already. He failed his physical though so he's probably done. :smith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Poe, Hightower, and Bouye. Make it happen J-Rob.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.instagram.com/p/BREXo7xFRx3/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/836973022137442309

Hey maybe it means Brady is retiring within a year or so. :toot:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hes gotta have pics of Trump Belichick and Kraft in a weird foursome with the "Sticky" Lombardi

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

I mean the likely scenario is that Dallas' O Line falls apart before that.

Enh... maybe. Offensive linemen can play at a high level for much longer than running backs (well into 33-35 range), so they have longer shelf-lives. Plus, the Cowboys' line outside of Doug Free (33) is still pretty young--Smith is 26, Frederick is 25, Martin is 26, Collins is 23, and Ron Leary--who's probably leaving--is 27. The core guys (Smith/Frederick/Martin) should all still be playing at a high level when Zeke hits 30.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/836973022137442309

Hey maybe it means Brady is retiring within a year or so. :toot:

You mean traded to some shithole for some draft picks. Hey, it could be the Jets!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He was at 240 most of the year because his injuries kept him from working out. He was 225 coming out of high school. He's a big boy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Imagine trying to tackle that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Ladainian Tomlinson is joining the Chargers organization as a special advisor to Dean Spanos

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Was at a convention at one of the major combine area hotels today. Did not see Andy Reid eating anything. I was sad. I did see one group of nerds taking over a lobby table with binders of poo poo like dong sizes. (Just guessing).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Elephanthead posted:

Did not see Andy Reid eating anything.

Either he was an impostor or just waiting for someone to deliver his food

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chir, I think you're projecting your own views on the Cowboys. You're arguing that a team that just spent the 4th overall pick on a running back won't invest in the running back position. I don't think you would have made the Zeke pick, and I don't think the Cowboys see eye to eye with you about it.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Ew, no.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurke_SI/status/837032173400174592

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/836981501480820736

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

Chir, I think you're projecting your own views on the Cowboys. You're arguing that a team that just spent the 4th overall pick on a running back won't invest in the running back position. I don't think you would have made the Zeke pick, and I don't think the Cowboys see eye to eye with you about it.

Man you were wrong about this back in 2014 when they let Murray walk and you're still wrong now. The Cowboys took the best player on the board at their pick and that happened to be a Running Back. That doesn't mean they're going to keep him for the next 10 years and pay him $15M per year

Yeah, it's not the pick I'd have made, but that also doesn't mean they're aching to pay him big money, especially when Prescott will be due the same year

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--in Volkerball's defense you have been one of the loudest 'don't draft running backs high' guys unless I'm mixing you up with someone else

There are other OU players at the combine, aside from coaches you can talk to a running back who sat in every meeting with the guy and probably knew him pretty well. There's not a lack of people to talk to about Mixon. As for the rest, oh no you might have to attend a pro day and set up a meeting to talk to the guy.

Also, ew of course, but his complaints don't make a lot of sense aside from convenience.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Steelers gave Deebo a new 2 year deal for 3.5mil

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Grittybeard posted:

^^--in Volkerball's defense you have been one of the loudest 'don't draft running backs high' guys unless I'm mixing you up with someone else

Oh hai it's me.

And it's true. As Chir correctly pointed out, look at the Murray situation. The Dallas OL is phenomenal and running backs are fungible as gently caress. There's no need to lock up Zeke to huge $ when the best years of his career will already be behind him. Imagine C. J. Prosise behind that line, would he have been exactly as productive as Zeke? No. But he would have produced and at a way cheaper draft cost.

e: a 5th round rookie RB made the pro-bowl

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh hai it's me.

Oh you're definitely the loudest, I just think Chir has been pretty outspoken about that too.

quote:

Oh, a pro bowl (replacement) nod?! Amazing! Howard should have gone in ahead of Freeman on the original vote anyway

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

i seriously can't stop laughing at this

https://twitter.com/JerryRice/status/837003406094958592

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Slow down, Time.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

:getin:

Wheel and deal baby

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Also, the chiefs should draft that mixon guy. I know he has character concerns, but the chiefs have to upkeep their rep of having nothing but quality, elite rbs

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/837083512759070720

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Can't wait for the announcement of the Chargers changing their lightning bolt to white

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So back to how it should be?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

gently caress off, Rams. You can't trick me into thinking you're cool.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh hai it's me.

And it's true. As Chir correctly pointed out, look at the Murray situation. The Dallas OL is phenomenal and running backs are fungible as gently caress. There's no need to lock up Zeke to huge $ when the best years of his career will already be behind him. Imagine C. J. Prosise behind that line, would he have been exactly as productive as Zeke? No. But he would have produced and at a way cheaper draft cost.

In 2012 a 3rd round rookie QB made the pro-bowl and in 2016 a 4th round rookie QB did, so I guess QB is a fungible position!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

they should just adopt the powder blue to be their permanent home unis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chromatic posted:

they should just adopt the powder blue to be their permanent home unis

Nah

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It would be the most Spanos thing to do that after not budging on it for years in San Diego.

Which honestly would be a step up because the Chargers' current Navy unis look like Penn St. hand-me-downs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Grittybeard posted:

I definitely think it's a mistake to draft a RB that high, but the reason I wouldn't have drafted Zeke has as much to do with "our defense was a mess and we just got a thousand-yard season out of Darren McFadden" as it did "Zeke is a phenomenal player." Our success hinged entirely on Romo (and later Prescott), not our running back situation.

e: I wanted Ramsey or Bosa, fwiw (obv Bosa didn't fall to us)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Oh hai it's me.

At the same time, Volk was arguing that it was a massive mistake to let go of a guy that had just won the rushing title and that the Cowboys were going to spend to keep Murray, when they clearly didn't think it was worth more than 4 years/$16M. I see his point in that the Cowboys felt it was OK to invest a draft pick in Running Back, but there's clearly a difference (to them anyways) between draft capital and money/cap space, and while the Cowboys may be fine investing a draft pick in a running back if the player is good enough, they clearly aren't interested in paying market value for a running back when it comes to shelling out cash. And remember, Jerry Jones didn't want to pay Emmitt Smith either until he was forced to after a few bad losses.

Chichevache posted:

In 2012 a 3rd round rookie QB made the pro-bowl and in 2016 a 4th round rookie QB did, so I guess QB is a fungible position!

Really?

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 2, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I really hope they are going white blue on everything. Yellow is the worst of all colours.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If the Chiefs were Red and White I'd be so happy. The yellow is indeed terrible.

:barf:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

It would be the most Spanos thing to do that after not budging on it for years in San Diego.

Which honestly would be a step up because the Chargers' current Navy unis look like Penn St. hand-me-downs.

They should wear their color rush jerseys from last year permanently

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Cowboys don't/didn't have the cap space to invest at RB.Use Zeke for 5 years then get a third round comp out of it and pay Prescott after they get out of cap hell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrLogan posted:

Cowboys don't/didn't have the cap space to invest at RB.Use Zeke for 5 years then get a third round comp out of it and pay Prescott after they get out of cap hell.
I dont understand how they are still in cap hell. They have money invested in Romo, Dez, Smith, Frederick, Free, Carr, and...? Witten? Lee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

I see his point in that the Cowboys felt it was OK to invest a draft pick in Running Back, but there's clearly a difference (to them anyways) between draft capital and money/cap space

There is no difference. It's all a finite amount of capital you have available to spend to make the team better. And a 4th overall pick costs a fuckload more than a 7 AAV contract. If you gently caress up on a 7 AAV contract, it sucks, but you can still be competitive. You gently caress up the 4th overall pick, and it can set your franchise back years. I didn't say the Cowboys WOULD resign Murray, just that it would serve them well to pay him. And it would've. Demarco would probably still be killing it behind that line, and you could've had Bosa on the cheap. They didn't have the cap space to do that though, so they spent a high draft pick that they did have available instead. Had the roles been reversed, and they had traded the 4th overall pick away and they had a bunch of cap space available, do you honestly believe they still would've let Murray walk? Don't be silly. A team that drafts a player top 5 clearly values that players position. You don't see kickers going top ten when they are the BPA.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread