Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Chromatic posted:

Also, the chiefs should draft that mixon guy. I know he has character concerns, but the chiefs have to upkeep their rep of having nothing but quality, elite rbs

trying to keep parm away forever? (not arguing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I thought they left St Louis

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

There is no difference. It's all a finite amount of capital you have available to spend to make the team better. And a 4th overall pick costs a fuckload more than a 7 AAV contract. If you gently caress up on a 7 AAV contract, it sucks, but you can still be competitive. You gently caress up the 4th overall pick, and it can set your franchise back years. I didn't say the Cowboys WOULD resign Murray, just that it would serve them well to pay him. And it would've. Demarco would probably still be killing it behind that line, and you could've had Bosa on the cheap. They didn't have the cap space to do that though, so they spent a high draft pick that they did have available instead. Had the roles been reversed, and they had traded the 4th overall pick away and they had a bunch of cap space available, do you honestly believe they still would've let Murray walk? Don't be silly. A team that drafts a player top 5 clearly values that players position.

There's a huge difference. You can have a shitload of 4th overall draft picks on your roster, but you run out of cap space real quick paying market value for players. You're overestimating how bad a whiff on the #4 pick actually is--if whiffing on a 4th overall pick was actually that bad for anything but the QB position, then teams that didn't even get a 4th overall pick would be hosed. But the Patriots haven't had a high draft pick in years and have had to forfeit multiple first round picks due to cheating and it hasn't exactly set them back. The damage from a bad contract prevents you from re-signing your good players and picking up free agents you need. Even good teams whiff on draft picks from time to time.

And yeah, letting Murray walk was the right deal. Remind me again of how great Murray was on the Eagles? Exactly how much of a difference would he have made after Romo got hurt? He'd have been better than Randle, but how many more yards was he going to put up than say, DMC? He missed games due to injury (a common occurrence in his career)--are we not counting those? I don't get your weird logic here, that they'd have somehow kept Murray by knowing two years in advance that they'd have the #4 pick? Letting Murray walk happened way before they ever got that pick. And letting Murray walk meant having money to re-sign other key players from the 2014 squad. Admittedly some of that money went to noted shitbag Greg Hardy, but from a "is the team better standpoint," I have to begrudgingly admit that it looked like a good move on paper at the time. The defense is the reason the Cowboys couldn't close in 2014--even if Dez's catch had gone for a TD, the Packers probably would have come back and scored a FG on our defense afterward. The Cowboys needed more help on defense than they did in the running game.

You keep making the case that we needed Murray and were stupid to let him go and it's hard to take seriously when Darren McFadden ended up 4th in the league in total rushing yards after playing only 10 games of Romo-less football. Murray's a good player, but he's not some special talent--he struggled when he had to play in a different system behind a worse line, and he looked good when he got to play behind a good line again in Tennessee, though again it's not like 1300 yards on 290 attempts and 4.4 ypc is some amazing performance that's going to make me think it was a mistake.

Also no I'm pretty sure keeping Murray wouldn't have given us Bosa, given that we picked after he was taken by the Chargers

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand how they are still in cap hell. They have money invested in Romo, Dez, Smith, Frederick, Free, Carr, and...? Witten? Lee?

Romo's contract is massive right now because they've kicked that can down the road a couple of times. Witten's also got a large contract, but they can restructure that and extend him 2 years to make some extra room and lock him up through retirement.

Romo's cap hit is like $25M right now and $25.5M next year. They restructured his contract in 2014 and 2015 to create room.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 2, 2017

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

JPrime posted:

trying to keep parm away forever? (not arguing)

he's already away forever. what's done is done

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

And yeah, letting Murray walk was the right deal. Remind me again of how great Murray was on the Eagles?

I don't necessarily disagree with you but this is really disingenuous

He was fantastic on a team that used him correctly last season

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Intruder posted:

He has a lot of bad opinions in general, such as disliking the Patriots and the Eagles.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Yeah, I agree that the Eagles were completely stupid about using him. But it wasn't just that the Titans used him correctly (though I agree that was a factor); they also have a good line. And while he got a lot of yards, he also had a shitload of carries. He ended up 14th in ypa and tied for 24th in rushes of 20+ yards. The dude's good, but like I said two years ago: He's a Marion Barber, not an Emmitt Smith.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He has a lot of bad opinions in general, such as disliking the Patriots and the Eagles.

no but for reals gently caress both of those teams

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Intruder posted:

Titans have arguably the best O-line in the league

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball posted:

You don't see kickers going top ten when they are the BPA.

Now I'm wondering how amazing a kicker would have to be to go top ten, and have it be worth it.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

whiteyfats posted:

Now I'm wondering how amazing a kicker would have to be to go top ten, and have it be worth it.

A theoretical kicker that was over 90% from 60+ yards out would be well worth a first. If you had a guy who was money from that distance it would be a huge advantage. If your offense was functional at all you would barely punt.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

whiteyfats posted:

Due to year to year volatility at the position no kicker could ever be worth it.

This hypothetical kicker is also a zen master who could do the job with a blindfold.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Due to year to year volatility at the position no kicker could ever be worth it.

This hypothetical kicker is also a zen master who could do the job with a blindfold.

Yeah, even for a prospect capable of being MVP, having an off year is way too risky to draft him with your first.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wait what happened to Parm?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait what happened to Parm?

He melted down hard because the Chiefs signed Tyreek Hill

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
More like he painted himself into a corner with his gimmick and couldn't figure a way out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CyberPingu posted:

He melted down hard because the Chiefs signed Tyreek Hill
Since October I havent been able to keep up wit hTFF much, and I never read GDTs, but I never saw Parm post about Tyreek at all. That is really strange.

Grittybeard posted:

More like he painted himself into a corner with his gimmick and couldn't figure a way out.
Well yeah his gimmick was awful and annoying. Almost annoying as "Andey".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In case you're not following this story...

quote:

Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. reports Redskins GM Scot McCloughan is no longer running the team.

Russell stated president Bruce Allen, coach Jay Gruden, scouts Alex Santos and Scott Campbell, and personnel executive Doug Williams have taken over. Williams has reportedly taken on an "increased role," likely at McCloughan's expense. McCloughan "has nothing to do with anything and has not for a very long time," according to Russell. McCloughan is allegedly missing the Combine due to the passing of his 100-year-old grandmother. Online records show McCloughan's grandmother passed away on February 6. The funeral occurred on February 13, and the woman was laid to rest the next day.
Source: 106.7 The Fan in D.C. Mar 1 - 11:26 PM

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wonder why Kirk Cousins doesn't want to sign for less than a billion dollars with that organization?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grandma Gate

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I knew something stupid was happening with the Skins when there were four rotoworld updates in one night about their loving GM

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

And even then, he'd have to be so astronomically better than even the next best kicker that it'd be worth taking him over another position of need. Kickers in the NFL have improved substantially voer time, and keep getting better. Your hypothetical zen master might just be the first of many, until the NFL changes the rules to make kicking less reliable.

troofs posted:

A theoretical kicker that was over 90% from 60+ yards out would be well worth a first. If you had a guy who was money from that distance it would be a huge advantage. If your offense was functional at all you would barely punt.

The idea that you'd ever be justified taking a kicker in the top 10, or that one would ever actually be "the best player available" is completely loving bonkers, but you've raised an interesting math problem.

What kind of 60+ yard accuracy are we talking here? 75%? Would this change your strategy at midfield, where you stop trying to get a first down if you know you can kick a 65-yard field goal?

Even if you could kick from 60+ yards out, you're only scoring 3 points on a drive that probably lasted at most, a minute or two, since you probably only got a couple of first downs. NFL teams usually average around 10 drives per game, so if your offense was poo poo (very possible because your team drafted a kicker #4 overall and was bad enough to be drafting 4th) and you just stalled out and kicked a field goal every time, you're looking at 30 points with 100% accuracy, or 21-24 points with 75% accuracy. That's not bad, but it's only league average for 2016 in terms of team points per game (30 is close to the top, though).

By comparison though, your opponent only needs to score 3-4 touchdowns on their 10 drives to match that, and about one in four or one in five of those (2-3 per game) will probably be coming from inside your 40, unless your kicker has 100% accuracy from 60+ yards out. So you're going to want to go for touchdowns eventually. So you *might* kick more field goals in the 60-70 yard range, but would it actually be better to kick a field goal on 4th-and-1 from the 50 yard line than to go for it or attempt to bury the opponent with a punt? You're basically talking about increasing the "Field goal" area of this chart, and primarily eating from the "punt" section, where you'd replace more punts at midfield with field goals, and a few "go for it" instances:

My guess is that if you had this dude, overall you'd win a higher percentage of close games, since you'd have the ability to hit more field goals from further out. Between 2002 and 2014, about 23% of games were decided by 3 points or fewer, but a chunk of those already involve the winning team kicking in the final minutes of the game. Charitably, I'd reason that your superkicker may win you about 1 extra game per season over an average kicker. Less, if your team is so poo poo that kicking field goals won't keep you in the game, or if your team is so good that you don't need to kick last-second field goals to win very often.

But again, you drafted fourth overall and spent the pick on a kicker, so you're probably the kind of team that loses by 4+ points pretty often.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I hate this dumb team.

Why! Why me!!!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

In case you're not following this story...

Dan Snyder is 52, cannot be impeached, and has no term limits.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wasn't McCloughan good? Lol what happened?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bad Moon posted:

Wasn't McCloughan good? Lol what happened?

Either addiction is a hell of a thing, or Dan Snyder is a hell of a thing. We don't really know for sure which it is.

It could be both.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The idea that you'd ever be justified taking a kicker in the top 10, or that one would ever actually be "the best player available" is completely loving bonkers, but you've raised an interesting math problem.

Yeah, it's pretty much never going to be worth it. Even if you had a bionic kicker available to draft super high you'd basically always rather draft players to theoretically fix your team's other problems (probably offense since you're kicking from so far out all the time) rather than taking the kicker who'll let you cash in on all your bad drives.

Mathematically though, I feel like there's got to be a point at which never having to punt is more valuable than say, drafting a really good guard at #10 or something. Maybe I am over-valuing field goals.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

troofs posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much never going to be worth it. Even if you had a bionic kicker available to draft super high you'd basically always rather draft players to theoretically fix your team's other problems (probably offense since you're kicking from so far out all the time) rather than taking the kicker who'll let you cash in on all your bad drives.

Mathematically though, I feel like there's got to be a point at which never having to punt is more valuable than say, drafting a really good guard at #10 or something. Maybe I am over-valuing field goals.

It's possible, but you've got to remember that there's a significant number of cases where you are better off pinning your opponent inside the 10 than scoring 3 points

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Maybe the kicker could be worth it if the offense was heavily designed around the run. Combined with taking the max amount of time off the clock every down, that would help give the friendly defense time to rest.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

troofs posted:

So you're saying it would be a wasted pick for the Texans

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's possible, but you've got to remember that there's a significant number of cases where you are better off pinning your opponent inside the 10 than scoring 3 points

I'm struggling to think of one

I'd rather be pinned at my 1 down a FG or less than have it at the 25 needing a TD if you're talking about time being a significant factor

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really cant think of any...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean if your bionic kicker is so awesome at field goals he's probably pretty good at pop up kicks that land somewhere inside the 5 to slow down the other team's return game as well. Or if yours isn't, my top 10 kicker pick would be. You probably can't pin them inside the 10 very often, but inside the 20 is pretty doable off a kickoff.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Don't forget that if you have an amazing kicker like that you could call fair catch kicks and instantly score uncontested whenever you want to.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Either addiction is a hell of a thing, or Dan Snyder is a hell of a thing. We don't really know for sure which it is.

It could be both.

Bruce Allen is probably a poo poo head too.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd be okay with the Chiefs spending a 4th on Mixon, if they feel like he's able to be a functioning member of society. Basically, after the Hill pick I was upset, but I feel like time and again Big Red and Dorsey have shown me that when they "do their homework" on a guy, they're legit making sure that the guy can be mentored and become a decent human being again.

Tyreek Hill is still kinda immature and childish in some respects, but I think that given his previous actions, he is on the best possible trajectory for the state of his character and life at this point. If they feel that Mixon can be mentored and led to be the same, then so be it.

If not, gently caress 'em, I'll make jokes when the Raiders draft him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hasn't Mixon still shown basically no remorse though

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders don't draft or sign players who hit women

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

I really cant think of any...

The only time I can think you want this is when you are up by 9 or 10 points with like <2 minutes left in the game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders don't draft or sign players who hit women

Or cut them if they only had longs records of being jackasses before hitting women, so far.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kalli posted:

The only time I can think you want this is when you are up by 9 or 10 points with like <2 minutes left in the game.

Why? Surely its still better to take your points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess if you're up 5 with like a minute or so left in the game and they have no timeouts

But even then you're a missed tackle away from being hosed

Actually Kalli's scenario is probably better

• Locked thread