Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

Bills really shooting for the stars in 2017:

https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/848919639145021440

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

fsif posted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom Brady lost his jersey again:

https://twitter.com/TylerSully/status/848957937229991936

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Further than the Texans ever got :(

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

fsif posted:

Nice of them to let other teams know who is worth trading for on the Bills roster to a good team

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

To be fair, not that many players in the NFL are able to tackle Gronk 1on1

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

Yeah but that's not really a hard thing to work around. We ran shotgun because it was the most effective way to run the offense. If AP was healthy and good, there'd more incentive to go under center and run playaction and whatnot. And yeah, I heard he was looking for 8 million, but usually the guys going for money take the biggest contract they get right out of the gate in free agency. AP is holding off on signing so obviously he's got more on his mind than just cash, and he's talked about the Raiders and Patriots a few times.

https://twitter.com/Borsilli/status/848917137418801152

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure who'd I prefer out of the two from a purely football standpoint tbh. Obviously prefer Lynch the person though.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure who'd I prefer out of the two from a purely football standpoint tbh. Obviously prefer Lynch the person though.

To me, this isn't even debatable. Lynch fits the system to a tee. AP doesn't and it makes no sense to run an offense to cater to a 31 yo one-dimensional RB when we have Derek Carr. Zero sense.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
One dimensional?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

One dimensional?

Presumably you'd have to keep Carr under center since Peterson hates running out of the shotgun, or so the scuttlebutt from the end of his vikings days would lead us to believe.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Amy Pole Her posted:

One dimensional?

Yeah I must have missed the memo but now all of a sudden TFF thinks that AP was never good

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

To me, this isn't even debatable. Lynch fits the system to a tee. AP doesn't and it makes no sense to run an offense to cater to a 31 yo one-dimensional RB when we have Derek Carr. Zero sense.

You wouldn't really have to cater the offense to him. Just run enough singleback to keep the defense guessing whether it's a run or a pass when you line up in that formation. The plays are already there. Then you let Jackson, Hudson, and Osemele do work 15 carries a game. By the 4th the middle of the field would be a trainwreck, if AP can stay healthy and be physical. It's the same way I'd expect them to use Lynch.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Apparently Jerry Jones finally gave other teams permission to contact Tony Romo and his agent.

It's happening

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Just so we're clear, Lynch will be 31 in April

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Presumably you'd have to keep Carr under center since Peterson hates running out of the shotgun, or so the scuttlebutt from the end of his vikings days would lead us to believe.

What makes you think it's scuttlebutt? Going into 2016, he had all of 115 carries out of the shotgun (compared to 2257 handoffs from center) and has said in the past he prefers to run out of singleback formations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And AP turned 32 last week.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Volkerball posted:

You wouldn't really have to cater the offense to him. Just run enough singleback to keep the defense guessing whether it's a run or a pass when you line up in that formation. The plays are already there. Then you let Jackson, Hudson, and Osemele do work 15 carries a game. By the 4th the middle of the field would be a trainwreck, if AP can stay healthy and be physical. It's the same way I'd expect them to use Lynch.

This is the reasonable non homer response. What part of Lynch's game translates better that AdP? He's versatile as hell and will only be used 10-15 touches a game MAX. How is it not even debatable? Because Lynch is likely who they sign?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

warcrimes posted:

:chloe:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

And AP turned 32 last week.

Hey, I actually agree with you about running backs for once. My point was more that if you're going to say AP is a bad addition because he's 32, maybe don't act like Lynch is significantly younger

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey, I actually agree with you about running backs for once. My point was more that if you're going to say AP is a bad addition because he's 32, maybe don't act like Lynch is significantly younger

No, I'm with you. WC said AP would be 31.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Saying AP is one dimensional isn't exactly a stretch, guys.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tom Brady is one dimensional as well

Winning is all he does

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
AP averages 2 receptions and 15 receiving yards per game, for his career. I'm not sure where that is on the spectrum of running backs, but he's no Brian Westbrook

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SHOAH NUFF posted:

AP averages 2 receptions and 15 receiving yards per game, for his career. I'm not sure where that is on the spectrum of running backs, but he's no Brian Westbrook

How many rushing yards does Tom Brady average

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

How many rushing yards does Tom Brady average

Not that many but he has more than three times as many rushing TD as AP has receiving TD

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
AP has also dropped 11% of his targets, so maybe he is a good fit for the Raiders after all

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

One dimensional?

That term may convey the idea that I think he's not good, which is silly. He's an all time great but needs an AP-centric offense to really shine. He doesn't pass block(you understand that this is a huge problem, right?) and doesn't really catch the ball out of the backfield, a big part of the Raiders offense.

Lynch has experience from the pistol, offset and I-formations, the Raiders run these and use the pistol a LOT. He's a plus pass blocker and a much better receiver. Carr likes to throw to his backs. On the fluff side, he's from Oakland, lives in Oakland and has always wanted to play for the Raiders, I think there'd be some extra motivation there.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

WHOOPS posted:

What makes you think it's scuttlebutt? Going into 2016, he had all of 115 carries out of the shotgun (compared to 2257 handoffs from center) and has said in the past he prefers to run out of singleback formations.

Plus I remember he looked awful running out of the 'gun when the Vikings played the Niners in the 2015 season opener. Just looked completely uncomfortable doing it.

Ehud posted:

Saying AP is one dimensional isn't exactly a stretch, guys.

Yeah. I mean you can make a valid argument that he's one of the best pure runners ever, just based on his speed, physicality & vision in his prime. But he was never much of a receiver and always looked lost picking up the blitz. I mean I guess one could blame Brad Childress for doing a poor job of coaching him up before he developed bad habits, but still. AP is absolutely one of the best RBs i've ever seen, but his lack of versatility really kinda hamstrings an offense at times.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
AP thinks whipping his kid in the scrode is completely ok

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I'm honestly surprised it took this long to come to that, Eli, thank you.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

warcrimes posted:

That term may convey the idea that I think he's not good, which is silly. He's an all time great but needs an AP-centric offense to really shine. He doesn't pass block(you understand that this is a huge problem, right?) and doesn't really catch the ball out of the backfield, a big part of the Raiders offense.

Lynch has experience from the pistol, offset and I-formations, the Raiders run these and use the pistol a LOT. He's a plus pass blocker and a much better receiver. Carr likes to throw to his backs. On the fluff side, he's from Oakland, lives in Oakland and has always wanted to play for the Raiders, I think there'd be some extra motivation there.

I don't remember Lynch being all that great at pass blocking; I seem to recall subbed him out quite a bit when the play required a pass blocking RB.

Definitely a good receiver though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol

"You understand this is a problem right?"
Great way to start a discussion

And I disagree with a few things in your assessment but at this point I think they're usinf either back for 10 touches a game so you're building up a huge case for nothing

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 3, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's fine if a guy is completely one dimensional if you can use him in that fashion. Like, with the Raiders' oline, using AD as a part time guy, that'd be fine. He'd be used like how the Patriots' used Blount, occasionally on 1st down, comes in on ... and short downs and in the red zone and as closer. If he's right, he's a steam roller you have to worry about, and helps sell the play action even if he himself isn't a receiving weapon.

That said, he's 32 and steam rollers age very poorly. If he wants to try and be Jerome Bettis his way to a ring, he may be able to, but I'm not exactly excited about him. I'd probably rather have Blount, and I don't think that highly of Blount either.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol I was asking what you meant by one dimensional and you follow it up with this. Great discussion technique.

I disagree on a few points but no offense I don't think you're intelligent enough to discuss this. No offense tho. You understand me calling you stupid isn't meant to be mean right?

You asked why I thought he was one dimensional and I answered. I meant no insult with my blocking question. The Raiders live and die by Derek Carr. Being able to effectively pass block isn't just another bullet point, it's essential.

e: what huge case? I think Lynch is a better fit, on the field and off.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

I disagree on a few points but no offense I don't think you're intelligent enough to discuss this. No offense tho. You understand me calling you stupid isn't meant to be mean right?
good lord lol

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

It's fine if a guy is completely one dimensional if you can use him in that fashion. Like, with the Raiders' oline, using AD as a part time guy, that'd be fine. He'd be used like how the Patriots' used Blount, occasionally on 1st down, comes in on ... and short downs and in the red zone and as closer. If he's right, he's a steam roller you have to worry about, and helps sell the play action even if he himself isn't a receiving weapon.

That said, he's 32 and steam rollers age very poorly. If he wants to try and be Jerome Bettis his way to a ring, he may be able to, but I'm not exactly excited about him. I'd probably rather have Blount, and I don't think that highly of Blount either.

The Raiders still ran 65% of their run plays out of QB under center formations, so there'd be plenty of opportunities for him in the rule that suits him. I agree that he's not going to be the guy at 32 that he was at 25, but there are precedents for guys having good seasons post-30 and if any RB is going to do it, I'd be on AP. I mean, I wouldn't bet on him having 1500 yards or anything, but a good (1k+) season is very possible on a team with a good QB and a good line.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eli Wiggum posted:

Apparently Jerry Jones finally gave other teams permission to contact Tony Romo and his agent.

It's happening

https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/848981784557735936

I wonder what "very high" is

Either way, not getting my hopes up

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/848981784557735936

I wonder what "very high" is

Either way, not getting my hopes up

"Move out of Texas"

So...do they make Cutler an offer? Do they roll with Tom Savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Texans starting QB this fall: Pickles Clausen

• Locked thread