Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bemis posted:

At least he doesn't think he can take on a bear like some people.

I actually once asked Ron Magill whats the fiercest animal an average person would have like a 50/50 shot of taking down and he said a wolf, as long as you realize your arms are going to get tore up. Basically its pretty easy to just let it go for your arms, then grapple with it enough to get into a position to break its neck. Of course, one bite to your neck and you are down to but either side has a reasonable chance of living. So, he isn't far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

somehow Arian getting bit on the arm would tear his hamstring though

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Arian is p. cool.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chichevache posted:

Arian is p. cool.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He would hurt himself running at the wolf

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lmao

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/838588037915426817

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
A GM giving Glennon that much money should be cause enough to commit them into an asylum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

whypick1 posted:

A GM giving Glennon that much money should be cause enough to commit them into an asylum.

That's the price you pay for a journeyman QB. The guaranteed money and length of contract are what matter.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

whypick1 posted:

Sounds like a job for Sashi Brown!

I swear we're going to lose Pryor because Sashi is a loving idiot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chichevache posted:

That's the price you pay for a journeyman QB. The guaranteed money and length of contract are what matter.

Aaron Rodgers is getting just over $19 million a year.

15 for Glennon is flatly stupid.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Aaron Rodgers is getting just over $19 million a year.

15 for Glennon is flatly stupid.

Well poo poo, those other teams should just pay Aaron Rodgers $20 million a year so they can go straight to the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Fitzpatrick last year got $12m after a good season.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

Fitzpatrick last year got $12m after a good season.

Fitzpatrick is a known quantity, not a possible franchise QB. Osweiler is a more fair comparison, ignoring the fact that he's been proven to be poo poo now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chichevache posted:

Well poo poo, those other teams should just pay Aaron Rodgers $20 million a year so they can go straight to the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Listen, Chichevache.

Glennon is not good. He has shown absolutely no evidence of being good.

Learn the easy way from the Texans' mistakes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

But he's so tall!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Fitzpatrick is a known quantity, not a possible franchise QB. Osweiler is a more fair comparison, ignoring the fact that he's been proven to be poo poo now.

Calling Mike Glennon a possible franchise QB is stretching it well past calling Fitzpatrick one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I am legit upset at the thought of a team considering Mike Glennon a franchise QB.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Listen, Chichevache.

Glennon is not good. He has shown absolutely no evidence of being good.

Learn the easy way from the Texans' mistakes.

I'm not arguing he's good. I'm just explaining why I think he could command that price in the current QB market. The objectively best thing to do is to draft a franchise QB in the 3rd or 4th round so you only have to pay him a couple million a season.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

I'm not arguing he's good. I'm just explaining why I think he could command that price in the current QB market. The objectively best thing to do is to draft a franchise QB in the 3rd or 4th round so you only have to pay him a couple million a season.

You're empirically wrong. $15M isn't market value for a journeyman QB. The average for high-value franchise players right now is $20-25M, followed by your tier 2 franchise guys at $16-20M, then there's a massive drop off to the journeyman shitheap.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Take a look at the list. The drop from Dalton to RG3 is more than half of Dalton's average annual salary. Glennon's not getting $15M unless someone deliberately overpays him and if they do it won't "just be the cost of a journeyman QB." The actual cost of a journeyman QB is more like $8-9M, unless you end up having Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg as your only other options

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol that the bears are going to cut Cutler for making too much money and give slightly less money to mike giraffe

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TheChirurgeon posted:

You're empirically wrong. $15M isn't market value for a journeyman QB. The average for high-value franchise players right now is $20-25M, followed by your tier 2 franchise guys at $16-20M, then there's a massive drop off to the journeyman shitheap.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Take a look at the list. The drop from Dalton to RG3 is more than half of Dalton's average annual salary. Glennon's not getting $15M unless someone deliberately overpays him and if they do it won't "just be the cost of a journeyman QB." The actual cost of a journeyman QB is more like $8-9M, unless you end up having Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg as your only other options

Alright. I thought more guys had gotten Brock-like contracts, but I guess he is an anomaly.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Chichevache posted:

Alright. I thought more guys had gotten Brock-like contracts, but I guess he is an anomaly.

Not a one-time anomaly if these rumors are borne out in reality and someone backs the money truck up to Mike loving Glennon

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You guys realize that Glennon's agent is probably behind all those leaks. After what happened with Brock this offseason, no GM is going to put himself in the position for at least a couple more years.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

There are 32 GMs and it's a bad idea to assume universal competence. This is a league where grigson and baalke had jobs evaluating talent for, like, years

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
With the salary cap expansions, overpaying for journeyman QBs will equally expand!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol imagine being a front office and coach knowing their jobs depend on mike loving glennon

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
No one in this topic understands salary caps, lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

No one in this topic understands salary caps, lol

Over/under on understanding the salary caps

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'm not assuming competence. I'm assuming limited cap space for teams and that media leaks should not be trusted when they are so clearly insane.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
This is well and good but how big are Glennons hands? That's the true worth of a QB.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Sataere posted:

I'm not assuming competence. I'm assuming limited cap space for teams and that media leaks should not be trusted when they are so clearly insane.

lemme whisper in your ear brock osweiler got $37 million guaranteed

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Over/under on understanding the salary caps

-500 The seahawks cut and run

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Love a team not a player

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Go Pack Go

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I was just making a joke about other things people never seem to understand :(

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bad Moon posted:

I got it and thought it was pretty drat funny

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bad Moon posted:

I chuckled and almost made the same joke LWB did.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nah, they'll call a slant at the goal line.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bad Moon posted:

I, too, got it and thought that it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I like how you guys are calling Glennon a journeyman QB when he's only ever been on one team. He also hasn't been completely awful, but he hasn't blown the doors off either. McCown started over him because he was coming off of that mystical season in Chicago where he was somehow good and Lovie brought him in.

I'm not saying that I believe that he's worth what's being reported, but I also don't think he's as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

• Locked thread