Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

I really cant think of any...

The only time I can think you want this is when you are up by 9 or 10 points with like <2 minutes left in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Why? Surely its still better to take your points?

I honestly can't remember what the parameters of this discussion are, but basically when up 9-10 points with ~2 minutes left in the game.

If it's a sub 40 yard FG, you just kick it, because it's too close to punt or do anything to gain enough yardage to trade away the points.

If it's a 45+ yard FG, you can consider punting because you have a <huge variance depending on kicker and distance> 25-40% or so chance of missing it, with small chance of it being blocked, which is your worst case scenario. It's a higher chance then usual of being blocked because the defense has to sell out to block it in this scenario to at least try and force a rushed kick and lower the odds. Missing the kick gives them the ball around the 35-40 needing two scores

Making the kick in this scenario just increases your lead to 12-13 points, so you still lose if they score twice (albeit two touchdowns now). You also probably* pooch the kickoff to eliminate the chance of a long return, so they end up starting around the 30-35... which really isn't that different a scenario then the miss scenario above. It's better, but doesn't improve your win expectancy by that much.

*Unless your kicker has a out of the endzone quality leg

TheChirurgeon posted:

And although it seems counter-intuitive, there was an analysis done on this a while back that I don't have on hand that made a compelling case that you were better off being up 3 points at the end of a game than 4, 5, or 6 points. In part because when you're up by 3, your opponents tend to play for the field goal (and a tie), but if they're down 4/5/6, they go for the TD, which results in a win on their end no matter what (if they get it), and their likelihood of getting the TD increases because they suddenly start playing 4-down football. So oddly and controversially, teams may better off pinning an opponent at the 1 when they're up by 3 than giving them the ball at the 25+* down 6 points.

I wrote the argument for a punt when you could kick a FG so now I will reveal my hypocritical nature and say coaches are extremely conservative, and will play for the tie when they only need a FG instead of making the riskier plays you need to when you need a touchdown.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think I want to pay $10 to get advertised at for hours, but make that paper Gronk:

quote:

Come join ROCKSTAR LIMO and many more vendors for an intimate and informative night of fun, food and unique ideas- designed to help you plan for your perfect wedding day!
Don’t forget to check out the inside of Rob Gronkowski’s personal party buses on our brand NEW VR Goggles! I mean who wouldn’t want to book The Gronk Buses for their wedding day or even their bachelor/bachelorette parties? You don’t want to miss this once in a lifetime moment for you and your loved ones who LOVE Rob Gronkowski!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I assume the Gronk Bus is just like the Bang Bus?

He has a bus and driver that bring him and his posse around and it blew up during that summer of Gronk stuff and then Gronk ended up licensing it to Rockstar Limo that now rents out two "Gronk buses".

Gronk's personal bus:

The Gronk Bus:

The 87:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was just saying to myself when I saw that advertisement... I'm hearing way too much about the Gronk Bus lately, there must be some marketing thing, and then found the limo company stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What would happen if theoretical 70 yard FG kicker was the kicker in this jackass video? Would Preston have died? I think we need Dr. Swickles to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt5Lzw-rFpg

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Get your bird watching on

https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/status/837710016345952256

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 3, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

One of Bill's kids got a lax scholarship, I think. Pretty sure it wasn't Johns Hopkins tho

Steve Belichick, went to Rutgers and coincidentally the Patriots drafting a million players from Rutgers during those years. He's currently the safeties coach for the Patriots

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yoooo, read this article about the combine experience by Geoff Schwartz:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/how-to-survive-the-nfl-combine/

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The only important part of the combine:

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/838104608773791744

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NFL talking about relaxing rules for excessive celebration finally after realizing that things called "gifs" are popular on the internet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

That's the price you pay for a journeyman QB. The guaranteed money and length of contract are what matter.

Fitzpatrick last year got $12m after a good season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Fitzpatrick is a known quantity, not a possible franchise QB. Osweiler is a more fair comparison, ignoring the fact that he's been proven to be poo poo now.

Calling Mike Glennon a possible franchise QB is stretching it well past calling Fitzpatrick one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I am legit upset at the thought of a team considering Mike Glennon a franchise QB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man imagine thinking your GM has some serious issues and not taking care of that BEFORE FREE AGENCY AND THE DRAFT THE MOST IMPORTANT MONTH OF A GM'S YEAR.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

You are right, I was wrong. Other posters seem to think Glennon is a completely known quantity, which I do disagree with. Yeah, he probably sucks, but so does everyone except ~20 guys. I still think he's worth trying if you don't have a franchise guy yet.

I don't think he's a completely known quantity, but I also think we've seen enough that these contract numbers and Buccaneers interest in re-signing him sounds like the Rams talking up Casey Keenum at the end of 2015.

big money big clit posted:

Bradford wasn't the Vikings issue, it was the offense literally falling apart around him.

Yeah, the Vikings problem is their offensive line is terrible and also super injured.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Removing names from lockers and replacing them with numbers, no names on jerseys either, also no decal on helmet until you EARN it

My immediate thought was they were just getting rid of anything Rex Ryan hosed on.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^^ this guy knows better

Diqnol posted:

Can someone link me or explain to me why they think Bortles isn't a decent QB? I've seen that opinion around these parts for a while but statistically he seems pretty good, even if a bunch of it is garbage time.

He's still young, but he's been very bad while games are competitive. Like garbage time usually isn't that much of a thing, but looking at his splits, a lot of his production comes when the Jags are out of games.

He will still get this year to prove himself, but he needs to take a strong step forward.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait so they didn't get anything in return? Just take this dude and his contract plus this pick and we call it square?

Please take all this so we can trade a 6th for Tony Romo and pay him $18m next year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey, maybe rapesheet is just really focused on all the Jameis updates.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well, there was no point dragging it out I guess.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Want something to read while waiting to find out <your coveted free agent> signed with <Hitler>?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.ec951402b14f

quote:

National Football League teams violated federal laws governing prescription drugs, disregarded guidance from the Drug Enforcement Administration on how to store, track, transport and distribute controlled substances, and plied their players with powerful painkillers and anti-inflammatories each season, according to sealed court documents contained in a federal lawsuit filed by former players.

At times, team medical staff displayed a cavalier attitude toward federal guidelines that govern dispensing medicine. In August 2009, for example, Paul Sparling, the Cincinnati Bengals’ head trainer, wrote in an email: “Can you have your office fax a copy of your DEA certificate to me? I need it for my records when the NFL ‘pill counters’ come to see if we are doing things right. Don’t worry, I’m pretty good at keeping them off the trail!”

The material was collected by the players’ attorneys as part of the discovery process in the case. The attorneys redacted large portions of the 127-page complaint because both parties had agreed to do so under a court-approved protective order, sealing it from public view. The Post was able to review the redacted information due to an apparent technical error in the filing process, but not some of the supporting exhibits and documents.

In the calendar year of 2012, for example, the average team prescribed nearly 5,777 doses of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and 2,213 doses of controlled medications to its players, according to a March 2013 internal document from Lawrence Brown, the NFL-employed medical adviser who oversees its drug issues.

Those numbers could average out to about 6-7 pain pills or injections a week per player over the course of a typical NFL season, but sports medicine experts noted that it’s unlikely the drugs were distributed evenly over the entire roster, and just as unlikely that team logs represent the full extent of medications players seek out to manage pain.

Bud Carpenter, the Buffalo Bills’ longtime trainer, “admitted under oath that he witnessed team doctors give players injections of prescription medications without telling them what the drug was they were receiving or its side effects. . . . He further testified that doctors provided prescription medications at places other than where they were allowed to do so in violation of federal and state laws.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kordell Stewart sued some reality tv show guy who claimed they had a homosexual relationship and won a $3m judgement: http://www.si.com/2017/03/14/kordell-stewart-lawsuit-blogger-claims-homosexual?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just saw that, here's the document:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Remember when I predicted the Rooneys would get his charges dropped?

I think the victim's story kinda fell apart once the video came out, so I'm not too surprised.

Other then that it all went radio silent, so who knows what happened, Revis could've even just paid them off.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

The voice on the tape is pretty clearly not Revis though so maybe it's the truth.

Yeah, I remember when the tape came out a bunch of NY beatwriters said that wasn't revis's voice. So I figured at that point, something was up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's Manish Mehta bodyshaming Mohammed Wilkerson:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...=mmehta+twitter

quote:

One eyewitness simply said Wilkerson was “looking absolutely terrible.” When I pointed out that the defensive lineman has never been mistaken for Jack LaLanne, the person texted: “LOL He’s always looked terribly out of shape?”

The eyewitness scout followed that up with "fatty fatty two by four, can't fit through the kitchen door".

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TBeats posted:

saying a football player looks sloppy and out of shape doesn't seem like body shaming to me considering they are paid to not be sloppy and out of shape.

and the dr seuss rhyme doesnt seem like a big deal either.

It popped into my head, and after mulling on it for awhile, I'm pretty sure it came from hit Will Ferrell show "The Oblongs".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Why not? Rex is hugely entertaining.

Seriously, he's a funny guy who always had good press conferences.

His coaching left something to be desired, but I'd way rather watch one of his press conferences then just about anyone else's. He'll be a fine talking head for all the normal blather they do.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thank these soldiers for their service.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Very true, nothing the rust belt and south loves more then Tom Brady.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

This is like those polls of republicans running tebow for president and then losing South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama.

Florida should run him for senate / governor.

I'm just going to safely presume it'd be an upgrade.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The guy apparently stole Von Miller's cleats from the previous Superbowl.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's like the backstory for a silver age era Batman villain.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

TFF once again shocked that famous millionaire supports republican nominee

Remember when they wanted to trade for Kaepernick last year as long as he'd redo his contract?

Wonder why they haven't shown any interest this offseason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

:cool:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of, the guy who Aaron Hernandez SHOT POINT BLANK IN THE FACE testified today, so that was fun.

quote:

Bradley explained to the jury why he didn’t go to the police even after Hernandez allegedly pointed a gun between his eyebrows, fired and left him to die in an alley of an industrial area of South Florida.

“I didn’t want to talk to the police,” Bradley said. “I wanted Mr. Hernandez. I wanted his life.”

Hernandez, 27, is serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd in North Attleboro, Mass. Bradley, 34, is currently doing a five-year stint in Connecticut for indiscriminately shooting up a Hartford nightclub in 2013 after someone there shot him three times in the leg over a dispute about money.

Together they make a pathetic pairing. Penned up and battle-scarred, each trying to save whatever is left of themselves by accusing the other of actually killing de Abreu and Furtado.

Bradley was also Hernandez's weed dealer in college.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fractured-friendship-of-aaron-hernandez-and-a-gangster-played-out-in-bone-chilling-court-scene-012208774.html

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

warcrimes posted:

Kaepernick is poo poo but yanno, ~muh narratives~

In a world where EJ Manuel, Josh McCown and Geno Smith can get jobs, that's no excuse.
-

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eagerly awaiting for it to break and the refs have to let an obviously hosed call go because the system doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

warcrimes posted:

Reminder that Kaep was available a year ago at this time for trade and SF didn't get a single offer for him.

You mean when teams would have to give up picks and Kaep had a large contract with huge guarantees if he was injured?

Come on man

• Locked thread