Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quote:

Hello. Effective 3/28, we will no longer support connections to the AIM network via this method. If you wish to use the free consumer AIM product, we invite you to visit https://www.aim.com for more information.

what the gently caress how am i supposed to use this now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's a really sad end of an era :(

I guess IRC still works in Adium but that's hardly an IM network

Pretty sure the developers have abandoned it as well, when it stopped working with google talk, facebook and finally MSN it was pretty much at the end of the road already.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rip OSCAR. your protocol was a piece of poo poo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

you deserve anything that comes to you if you're still using aim

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember that goon project shaim? the .net version of AIM that never got off the ground??

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/shaim-dev

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

akadajet posted:

remember that goon project shaim? the .net version of AIM that never got off the ground??

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/shaim-dev

i made the icon for that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
RIP Adium. it has a bug that causes it to crash on launch half the time since Yosemite. I only use it for jabber now, which still works decently except for some attachment issues

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i read on the twitter that there'll be a pidgin/adium update that fixes it. apparently they just have to update some key

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

RIP Adium. it has a bug that causes it to crash on launch half the time since Yosemite. I only use it for jabber now, which still works decently except for some attachment issues

this doesnt happen for me?

GameCube posted:

i read on the twitter that there'll be a pidgin/adium update that fixes it. apparently they just have to update some key

jah bless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

people use aim? did i walk into a time portal to 1998?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I use it

the 'new' protocol is just xmpp i think, i recall libpurple changelog entries that seemed to address the changeover

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

love that bird,

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chatting on aim as a teen

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

we talked all night then she put my screenname on her block list, then she clicked ok

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
how is aol still in business

how

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Smythe posted:

chatting on aim as a teen

man in college seeing one of your hookups still online on AIM at 3am when u got home from the bar and them responding to 'u still up?'

epic feels

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Suspicious posted:

how

as of two years ago, they were still making 600 million/year on dialup subscribers

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Suspicious posted:

how

old people

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sweevo posted:

old people

just like the gop

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
lol if you were American as a teen and chatted on aim instead of the clearly superior MSN

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

graph posted:

man in college seeing one of your hookups still online on AIM at 3am when u got home from the bar and them responding to 'u still up?'

epic feels

this but icq

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I remember when Yahoo messenger poo poo down last year a lot of oil traders were freaking out because that was their only method of communication with other traders.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

this but icq

UH OH

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

didnt know radium worked for aol. rude of them to kill him

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

adium still exists?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

go play outside Skyler posted:

i made the icon for that

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im on aim because its integrated into osx messages and my account is configured. ive been online on aim 24/7 for like 15 years but i dont think anyone uses it anymore???

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My wife's best friend still uses AOL, just because 'It's what I've always used'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i havent thought about aim in over a decade

thanks for resurfacing high school feels yospos

asl?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

lol if you were American as a teen and chatted on aim instead of the clearly superior MSN

:agreed:

i used ICQ for years and then MSN Messenger when everyone was on that and then i guess everything went to google chat. i knew like one guy who would only use AIM and it was like, okay, well, guess i'll talk to you in 4 months when i accidentally click the icon again

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i basically didnt use any IM programs due to being an antisocial neurotic weirdo with brain problems

i was a very very strange nerd in middle/high school

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember iChat

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i should qualify, i hardly used any IM services. i had accounts with all the major ones and often hosed around with crap like trillian, gaim, and some other weird and really spergy multi-protocol client i can't remember

i just hardly ever logged into anything for more than a couple hours every few weeks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Maximum Leader posted:

the worst part of using msn was this one chick i knew had webtv, and messenger on that service hid contact emails and only showed your custom name so every time i changed my name i got HEY WHO IS THIS messages

i did get a couple of dates using messenger programs :)

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

i only used msn if there was a girl i was chasing / seeing on there. most of the ones i know were on aim though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also isn't it now just "Aol." I think AOL! was the old version

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

i should qualify, i hardly used any IM services. i had accounts with all the major ones and often hosed around with crap like trillian, gaim, and some other weird and really spergy multi-protocol client i can't remember

i just hardly ever logged into anything for more than a couple hours every few weeks

i remember third party clients allowed you to grief people pretty easily. one didn't have a nudge timer, so you could send a ton in rapid succession, and i recall a mostly broken feature that shows if someone blocked you. it didn't work very well, i remember people starting fights with others when people logged in from my computer and saw they were "blocked" by so and so

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hosed up that today's teens are growing up without setting ~meaningful song lyrics~ as their aim/msn display names

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
personally blaming shingy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

anyone remember the 'warning' system? Each user had a warning level (in %) and in theory if people were being abusive you could 'warn' them, and if they reached 100% they got banned for 24 hours or somesuch

we used to do a thing we called sandwich warning, where 5 or 6 of us would all strike up a conversation with the target (a prerequisite for warning), then spam the warn button and knock them off the internet

good times

• Locked thread