Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

People who never sat through 4+ seasons of loving meadow soprano ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

banned from Starbucks posted:

People who never sat through 4+ seasons of loving meadow soprano ITT.

"are we in the mafia?" <-- things an idiot asks for 100 alex

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paige is amazing, gently caress the haters!!

Also Meadow is amazing too but I may be biased toward beautiful Greek women tbf

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

esperterra posted:

I may be biased toward beautiful Greek women tbf

:same:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Never had a problem with Meadow but I was stone drunk most of the time I was watching sopranos

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Meadow was another teen written well for the most part, imo, but a well written teen being annoying is fitting so I get people not liking her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Paige is fine. Her life is insane and she's a teenager. She would be justified being much worse.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Darn, the episode title list appears to indicate that outside some sort of time skip for an ending montage, the show likely won't include the dissolution of the USSR.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I get that Paige is being a teenage girl. I didn't like teenage girls when I was a teenager and I don't like them as an adult.

Also while it has been some time since I was a teenager I do remember the girls having more than two emotional settings even though, as far as I know, none of them had parents that were in the Illegals Program unless you're counting being an illegal alien.

Since Meadow and the Sopranos was mentioned, she was easy to ignore because of the large cast. AJ was the one that became obnoxious. Extremely so in the last season, I almost stopped watching because of him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way Paige is dressed/sexualized in the first episode when she's still, what, 13? is super period accurate and also super gross. Like people acted like girls being sexual in the 90s but it's been going on for like, ever. It's kinda hosed up.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

precision posted:

The way Paige is dressed/sexualized in the first episode when she's still, what, 13? is super period accurate and also super gross. Like people acted like girls being sexual in the 90s but it's been going on for like, ever. It's kinda hosed up.

I don’t remember what Paige wore in the first ep, but the plot line with Phillip seducing a teenager was loving creepy as hell.

Why can’t they focus on pure, innocent characters like the mail robot.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

precision posted:

I haven't started my rewatch yet so it's been awhile since I last saw the first episode but I can't think of Paige wearing a particularly sexualized outfit or behaviors from her that I'd describe as sexualized. I can think of some gross stuff being directed at her. Can you post a picture or give an approximate time in the episode that's putting up a red flag for you?

Caganer posted:

...Why can’t they focus on pure, innocent characters like the mail robot.

Because the mail robot is too good for this show and this planet.

Jeremy_X fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 13, 2018

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Jeremy_X posted:

I haven't started my rewatch yet so it's been awhile since I last saw the first episode but I can't think of Paige wearing a particularly sexualized outfit or behaviors from her that I'd describe as sexualized. I can think of some gross stuff being directed at her. Can you post a picture or give an approximate time in the episode that's putting up a red flag for you?

It's a plot line in the episode. She wears an age-inappropriate outfit to the mall and gets hit on by a creepy predator. That's the subplot that ends with Philip shoving a grill skewer into the dude's balls.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Baronash posted:

It's a plot line in the episode. She wears an age-inappropriate outfit to the mall and gets hit on by a creepy predator. That's the subplot that ends with Philip shoving a grill skewer into the dude's balls.

For some reason I was thinking that happened in a later episode. I rewatched the mall scene and her outfit doesn't seem inappropriate to me not even when viewing it with the 80s in mind. My upbringing in the 80s was very liberal though. My sister and all my cousins wore outfits like that then and still do now so that's probably why I don't see her outfit as inappropriate or sexualized even with the literally giant leering pedophile.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jeremy_X posted:

For some reason I was thinking that happened in a later episode. I rewatched the mall scene and her outfit doesn't seem inappropriate to me not even when viewing it with the 80s in mind. My upbringing in the 80s was very liberal though. My sister and all my cousins wore outfits like that then and still do now so that's probably why I don't see her outfit as inappropriate or sexualized even with the literally giant leering pedophile.

I decided to rewatch in prep for the new season. Her outfit doesn't seem at all inappropriate - DC can be warm and humid, so dressing lightly + bringing a jacket for when in the AC is a pretty reasonable plan.

Also, on rewatch it's notable that less than a half hour into the first episode Phillip is joking about defecting. Foreshadowing?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Caganer posted:

I decided to rewatch in prep for the new season. Her outfit doesn't seem at all inappropriate - DC can be warm and humid, so dressing lightly + bringing a jacket for when in the AC is a pretty reasonable plan.

Also, on rewatch it's notable that less than a half hour into the first episode Phillip is joking about defecting. Foreshadowing?

Phil wasn’t joking about defecting, he was going to outright do it until he figured out that the defector raped Elizabeth.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Caganer posted:

They always had the dichotomy of Elizabeth being a true believer, and Philip just being a patriot with a job. It even makes a lot of sense with their respective backstories.

Best show on television that nobody's watching.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Just got back from watching Red Sparrow. Good movie, scratched that Russian Spy itch. I'd read a lot of reviews saying that the movie was brutal and hard to watch, but to be perfectly honest, there were way more difficult scenes in The Americans.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Honestly the main characters in The Americans are really really awful people. I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for them, even if they are interesting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Honestly the main characters in The Americans are really really awful people. I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for them, even if they are interesting.

At least Philip shows remorse, Elizabeth doesn't give a gently caress when she murders innocent bystanders.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least Philip shows remorse, Elizabeth doesn't give a gently caress when she murders innocent bystanders.

maybe she moves to england in the finale

unlawfulsoup posted:

the mail robot is pure and good

and in all seriousness i wish theyd expound on their beliefs. they seem to just go "USA bad, USSR good" unthinkingly

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

TheCenturion posted:

Just got back from watching Red Sparrow. Good movie, scratched that Russian Spy itch. I'd read a lot of reviews saying that the movie was brutal and hard to watch, but to be perfectly honest, there were way more difficult scenes in The Americans.

I finally got around to watching Patriot and it scratched my bad people main character murdering people for their country itch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is a pretty pro click
https://twitter.com/TheAmericansFX/status/978301803115761664

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Rhys just shouting HENRY DIES is perfect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does he really have that goofy accent?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The showrunners sat down for an interview with AVClub. They go into some details on the way the season starts and how the themes are going to go, so if you want to be as unspoilered as possible, you might want to skip it.

https://www.avclub.com/the-americans-showrunners-picked-an-ending-early-and-t-1823890420

Also:
MAIL ROBOT CONFIRMED

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

Does he really have that goofy accent?
Yeah, he's Welsh. That's his actual voice.

The actress who played Martha was from over the pond, too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am so hyped up for tomorrow. Hope we get a great season to end this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my, Oleg with beard :swoon:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was worried he was written out. Please let this be the return of the Oleg/Stan buddy-cop movie.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress yeah I forgot this was coming back on this week. Last season wasn't my favorite, but it felt like chess pieces being moved for the final season. Trailers have me excited and that interview talking about how they knew how they wanted to end it basically from the start makes me excited for these last 10 eps.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The thread title got me all excited thinking it's on tonight, but then I looked at the calender and it's only the 27th rn. SMDH.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Rhys just shouting HENRY DIES is perfect.

HENRY DIES would be a good thread title

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Oleg’s actor is the bad guy Russian on the current season of Homeland if people are looking for sittings, although he’s only had two scenes so far and one of them is about three seconds long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 6 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852876

• Locked thread