Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S MARTHA.

Well that was unexpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

howe_sam posted:

Well that was unexpected

I wondered why there was a long, dramatic stare down the aisle waiting for the cut to commercial before I saw a frail looking woman and it all clicked.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Tuan wants a dog :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm curious as to how many times THE TECHNIQUE is used between now and the series finale. There's one.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Phillip still has that ridiculous cowboy hat on

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"You should've asked."? That's the best they could think to come up with?

The music callback is nice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was the perfect line to cap the episode.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

CBJSprague24 posted:

They murder people all the time for less, they hardly need a reason at this point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So far I'm very disappointed that this season has yet to introduce Henry's seasonlong arc.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm rooting for Henry to explode into the finale like, "I can hear the kitchen from my bedroom! Why do you think I'm never here!? Ahhhh!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm worried they're spreading themselves too thin over multiple primary storylines in one season.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Is this seasons grain plotline rooted in reality in any way? I would think I'd have heard something about it, biological warfare against another countries food supply? Was it rumored to be true in the USSR?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

misdirectomy posted:

Is this seasons grain plotline rooted in reality in any way? I would think I'd have heard something about it, biological warfare against another countries food supply? Was it rumored to be true in the USSR?

Nothing that corresponds with anything declassified, but in an ironic twist: http://www.graincentral.com/cropping/forces-rally-to-contain-russian-wheat-invader/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe the twist will be that it's actually the USSR who's trying to sabotage the U.S.'s wheat supply.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Glad to see she's doing alright

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Before moving to New Jersey and working as a one legged massage therapist, Svetlana had a budding carrier in Soviet supermarkets, nice.

Also, I loved Martha's wtf face as she examines a packet of Russian spice cake.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CBJSprague24 posted:

The music callback is nice.

No, that guy was dead the minute he saw Phil and Elizabeth poking around, and they both knew it. That was just Elizabeth trying to work up some negative emotions towards the guy to make it easier for her to kill him.

Henry Black posted:

Before moving to New Jersey and working as a one legged massage therapist, Svetlana had a budding carrier in Soviet supermarkets, nice.

OMG, I never would have figured that one out! I knew she looked familiar!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Henry Black posted:

Also, I loved Martha's wtf face as she examines a packet of Russian spice cake.

Reminded me of a story Viktor Belenko (the first pilot who defected with a MiG-25), about how he mistakenly bought and ate cat food at his first supermarket because it resembled food containers he recognized, and merely thought the cats on the label were a 'company mascot' or something. He also thought the supermarket was a CIA prop to convince him how great America was.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
She clearly considered him to be knowingly and willfully complicit in planning the genocide of innocent workers of glorious USSR, she didn't need any more reason to kill him than that.

They'll spend a few more episodes chasing down this plot, find out that the US is working on pest-resistant grain to send to the USSR, Elizabeth will come up with some way it's a horrible plot, and Philip will become even more disillusioned with the Rodina.

It would be interesting seeing the last four episodes of the series be them back in Mother Russia, realizing what a horrible shithole it is. Last line of the series will be Elizabeth looking at Philip, Kremlin in the background, and saying something like "I want to go home," meaning the US.

Or Philip kills Elizabeth when she tries to forcibly take the kids to the USSR.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

She clearly considered him to be knowingly and willfully complicit in planning the genocide of innocent workers of glorious USSR, she didn't need any more reason to kill him than that.

You're missing the point here. The reason he died was that he caught them doing spy stuff. He could have told her that he was just the night janitor and he spends his days raising puppies for orphaned children, and they were still going to have to kill him. Yes, as she went through the conversation with him, she purposefully cast him as complicit in trying to starve USSR citizens, but she was doing that as a defense mechanism so it didn't feel as bad as, say, forcing an elderly woman to OD on pills or something.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's been discussed before, but if this show doesn't end with Elizabeth's emotionally shattered and utterly crestfallen face watching a TV screen on the morning of December 25th, 1991 while a sad song plays, then the writers have failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtdhWltSIg

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just upset at the lame one-liner. "You should've asked", seriously? Why not "you're exterminated" at least/

Most likely though they're just breeding the bugs for the other lab to develop and test pesticides or something like that.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reminded me of a story Viktor Belenko (the first pilot who defected with a MiG-25), about how he mistakenly bought and ate cat food at his first supermarket because it resembled food containers he recognized, and merely thought the cats on the label were a 'company mascot' or something. He also thought the supermarket was a CIA prop to convince him how great America was.
Dunno if some of the stuff was exaggerated but it's a good book anyway, I can see how one might get confused:

Also check out the IRL version of Svetlana's store: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was 8 1/2 years old when the USSR officially dissolved, and I had a poo poo ton of relatives from my mother's side who were still living in Romania following the execution of Nicolae Ceaușescu in '89.

Following it's collapse, my maternal grandparents paid for several of their close Romanian relatives to visit them here in the States for the first time. I was very young, but I strongly remember meeting them at the airport (they didn't even know me, and yet, they brought me Romanian candy!), and afterwards when they were brought back to my grandparents' place for a huge celebratory dinner, they asked them if they could go to a supermarket.

We took them to a Farmer Jack not too far away, and when they walked inside, the sight of grown rear end adults openly weeping into their hands was something that will stick with me forever. It was sad and wonderful at the same time.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 23, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hell even my British friend when he was visiting was blown away by the scale of American supermarkets.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Once upon a time, my ex and some of his Post-Soviet friends were drinking and I was feeding the cats. Some Wellness Beef & Salmon canned food, which apparently smelled just like some kind of meat based Soviet babyfood that sent the group into a despairing pit of refugee/immigrant nostalgia.:ussr:

We still talk about this show nailing so much stuff that us Cold War Kids of the 80s remember from either side of the fen- Iron Curtain... Whatever.

mobby_6kl posted:

I can see how one might get confused:

Exactly. :ussr:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

But I presume that's a can of pork with the little pig on the label.... so did he think he was buying canned kitten?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"Wow, this is so good, even a cat would be willing to eat it!"

I was actually talking with a Canadian colleague earlier today about the difference in supermarkets between here (US) and there, since we've both spent years across both countries, and even just those two have an astounding national difference in supermarkets. Canada's selection feels anemic by comparison.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As usual, though - capitalism is always best at lampooning itself: http://www.cracked.com/video_20330_honest-ads-grocery-5Bph5D.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Woah, Svetlana from the Sopranos THEN MARTHA!?! (Sorry, just catching up)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just caught up. Season is kind of weird so far, especially now that more of the show takes place in Russia. I like Oleg and all but they are going to do that maybe they could lose the color filter?

Also is it me or did their disguises get worse? Phil's airline pilot guy seems especially half-assed, and I wasn't impressed with their country routine either.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The further they get out of their usual territory, the less elaborate the disguises need to be.

This is back in the eighties, there wasn't much in the way of "national databases" of suspects.

Hell, twenty years later, the FBI was still getting poo poo for poor data warehousing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

This is back in the eighties, there wasn't much in the way of "national databases" of suspects.

sure and that explains Philip just throwing on a cowboy hat in Kentucky, but the airline pilot one barely looks like a real person, like it just looks like a dude with a bad fake mustache, and that one is used close to home

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Earwicker posted:

sure and that explains Philip just throwing on a cowboy hat in Kentucky, but the airline pilot one barely looks like a real person, like it just looks like a dude with a bad fake mustache, and that one is used close to home

Wait, do we know that? I appreciate show-don't-tell, but that whole plotline came out of nowhere with little to no explanation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Earwicker posted:

It's the hair color.

The hair doesn't match the side-burns, eyebrows or mustache.

Mustache Macro Shot:

His cover ID is an idiot with a bad dye job.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

Wait, do we know that? I appreciate show-don't-tell, but that whole plotline came out of nowhere with little to no explanation.

yeah your right I guess that could all be happening somewhere else, I just assumed it was still DC area because they don't mention having to travel somewhere and it seemed like they were able to get back to their regular cover lives quickly. but yeah the way it was introduced was pretty jarring

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I can imagine someone thinking, 'The sideburns and eyebrows are a problem... I know, I'll make him an idiot.

Bam.

Mustache, front and center.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that including some ridiculous feature makes for a pretty good disguise. The witness focuses on the terrible mustache or silly hat, and his description can be made useless seconds after making your escape by ditching the offending item.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It really sells the hair by being terrible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

withak posted:

I think that including some ridiculous feature makes for a pretty good disguise. The witness focuses on the terrible mustache or silly hat, and his description can be made useless seconds after making your escape by ditching the offending item.

makes sense for short jobs like when they went to bug lab, for you'd think for longer term work of creating a persona and developing relationships etc you'd want something that looked a little less ridiculous

on the other hand, I do remember that in the 80's and early 90's there really were a lot of legit terrible dye jobs, toupees, and mustaches around. but I think Clark was a better portrayal of the whole bad toupee look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

withak posted:

Yeah. One attention-grabbing characteristic tends to make everything else kinda melt out of a person's memory when trying to give a description after the fact. They're not just trying to look different from their normal look and blend in; they're trying to keep the stuff they can't take off forgettable.

e: this is also what makes a pilot's/stewardess' uniforms useful

• Locked thread