Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah. One attention-grabbing characteristic tends to make everything else kinda melt out of a person's memory when trying to give a description after the fact. They're not just trying to look different from their normal look and blend in; they're trying to keep the stuff they can't take off forgettable.

e: this is also what makes a pilot's/stewardess' uniforms useful
People are notoriously terrible at visual identification in any case, so throwing on a terrible mustache and/or hat would probably throw most people off.

Somebody actually put in the effort to track down every instance when someone had to make an excuse for Henry missing from the house, which happened 22 times so far: https://www.vulture.com/2017/03/the-americans-where-is-henry-jennings.html

Remember how a few seasons ago there was a whole plot line with Henry breaking into their neighbor's house to play video games? I thought that would be his training to become a KGB spy at the time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The last few seasons have had a lot of good moments of Henry being like a more lowkey AJ Soprano-style gently caress up, and I really enjoyed it. Seems like this season he's almost never there and they're always calling attention to his absence by making up an excuse for it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody actually put in the effort to track down every instance when someone had to make an excuse for Henry missing from the house, which happened 22 times so far: https://www.vulture.com/2017/03/the-americans-where-is-henry-jennings.html

This page isn't loading. What is the deal is the guy just busy on another show or something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fast Luck posted:

The last few seasons have had a lot of good moments of Henry being like a more lowkey AJ Soprano-style gently caress up, and I really enjoyed it. Seems like this season he's almost never there and they're always calling attention to his absence by making up an excuse for it

Or ~The Centre~ gave Henry his very own MILFy Soviet Sex Teacher like they did with the other kid (because they're 'not moving quickly enough with Paige'), and *that's* where he is all the time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I think they Henry stuff is the writers having fun with it at this point.

Last episode they get home after dark and ask Paige, "Is henry here?" and she's like, "nope". And no one even gives a poo poo they're like, "alright cool so check out this spy stuff we did".

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Earwicker posted:

sure and that explains Philip just throwing on a cowboy hat in Kentucky, but the airline pilot one barely looks like a real person, like it just looks like a dude with a bad fake mustache, and that one is used close to home

Lots of people have hair a different color than facial hair. And I get the impression that this job is out in a suburb or bedroom community.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

sure and that explains Philip just throwing on a cowboy hat in Kentucky, but the airline pilot one barely looks like a real person, like it just looks like a dude with a bad fake mustache, and that one is used close to home

People actually looked like that in the Eighties, though.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheCenturion posted:

Lots of people have hair a different color than facial hair. And I get the impression that this job is out in a suburb or bedroom community.

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. You goons need to get out of the house more often! It's not at all uncommon for natural blondes to have darker eyebrows/facial hair.

And I think it's safe to say it's in the D.C. area. Defector dad works for the department of agriculture and they're certainly not in the heartland.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mobby_6kl posted:

People are notoriously terrible at visual identification in any case, so throwing on a terrible mustache and/or hat would probably throw most people off.

Remember how a few seasons ago there was a whole plot line with Henry breaking into their neighbor's house to play video games? I thought that would be his training to become a KGB spy at the time...

He's like Poochie.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Regy Rusty posted:

Glad to see she's doing alright

Yeah me too. Honestly I figured she was just gonna be killed off screen rather than having to deal with actually paying to relocate her and everything since I keep hearing the USSR has killed their citizens for less.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

People actually looked like that in the Eighties, though.

the most anachronistic thing about the show is how nice everyone's actual hair is

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah me too. Honestly I figured she was just gonna be killed off screen rather than having to deal with actually paying to relocate her and everything since I keep hearing the USSR has killed their citizens for less.

They made a point of trying to treat defectors well, IIRC, to encourage others, and for PR purposes, of a sort.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. You goons need to get out of the house more often! It's not at all uncommon for natural blondes to have darker eyebrows/facial hair.

I'm the one that brought up the disguise looking bad, but I don't think it's really the color issue exactly there's just something "off" about that mustache, maybe the shape of it or something, but in any case that disguise just sticks out to me as kind of crap compared to most of the others

TheCenturion posted:

They made a point of trying to treat defectors well, IIRC, to encourage others, and for PR purposes, of a sort.

was she publicly known as a defector? it wasn't really clear how the situation was dealt with from a public/PR perspective, I thought as far as the FBI (and American public) were concerned she just disappeared

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Anyone else think that Tuan ends up offing the Russian immigrant out of spite and anger because dude is wholly unhinged hoping to please the Jennings. It just seems that Phil gets more and more disgusted with the "party line" that Tuan is constantly toeing in their conversations.

Also, what are the odds that the o[diary]o that's teased in the trailers belongs to o[the Pastor?]o That dinner scene last season was super tense, and I'm super curious as to what the fallout will be.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i really, like REALLY hope that henry's absence is because he's fallen in with the now-legendary mid-eighties dc punk scene

more likely though is he's playing dnd or drinking

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The gang drove to Chicago to scope out that first greenhouse and they obviously flew to Oklahoma with the cowboy getup. All that time away there is no way Paige doesn't have Stan's son over to watch The Breakfast Club and Goonies on VHS.

Henry has joined Minor Threat as a drummer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

This page isn't loading. What is the deal is the guy just busy on another show or something?

No they don't explain that, those are in-show excuses like "he's waiting in the car". I assume it's just writers not having a good use for him but not having the balls to actually kill him off.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess there is a russian version of The Americans that has become pretty popular:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/23/the-next-must-watch-tv-show-is-russias-version-of-the-americans/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

phosdex posted:

I guess there is a russian version of The Americans that has become pretty popular:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/23/the-next-must-watch-tv-show-is-russias-version-of-the-americans/

*nabs him as he comes out of a Moscow McDonald's*

"The FSB! How do you always catch me!?!?"

"Foolish American, you ordered your Big Mac with *extra sauce*! No Russian would ever be that greedy!"

*the totally ~Alpha male~ security force personnel share a manly and triumphant laugh as three Bentleys pass, the first carrying a Russian oil tycoon, the second his groceries, and the third his dog*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They catch the American because his documents are flawless forgeries—except that they use staples made of stainless steel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i really, like REALLY hope that henry's absence is because he's fallen in with the now-legendary mid-eighties dc punk scene

more likely though is he's playing dnd or drinking

Henry casually mentioning that there's this great band at his high school called Teen Idles would be amazing (if off by a few years)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the american spy smiles and nods in a silent "good morning" to a passerby as he walks to work in his first day undercover, gets immediately made as a spy and arrested

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Depends where you're from I guess. Where I grew up we don't randomly say hi to people or wave at them walking down the street like weird parts of New England or the Midwest or whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Apparently Peter Jacobson is in both shows.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Regy Rusty posted:

Glad to see she's doing alright

I mean, she's alive. But she didn't look like she was doing all that great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well she's in Moscow so that already puts her in the top 10% of possible outcomes.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the american spy smiles and nods in a silent "good morning" to a passerby as he walks to work in his first day undercover, gets immediately made as a spy and arrested
They made a show about this: https://rutube.ru/video/2dae0d6bb305d7e72067bc8bd7f7009b/
There might be some English subtitles out there if you look around.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Earwicker posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/23/a_list_of_every_excuse_the_americans_has_used_to_hide_henry_offscreen.html

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Just you wait, she's on the way up. Everything's coming up Martha.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show will end with Martha bringing down the Soviet Union

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show will end with Martha bringing down leading the Soviet Union.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The answer is obvious... Henry is trapped in the Upside Down.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Zero One posted:

Apparently Peter Jacobson is in both shows.

Proxy Snyder knows how to align himself with our new overlords.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

watch this drat show do nothing with that martha tease. shes just alive in moscow that's it lol

this show loves to play with tv/movie drama conventions like that. i especially like how it forces some of the characters' paranoia on you by focusing dramatically on passerby and strangers, cueing them up with visual tropes to be a spy or make a move or whatever, and then just moves on and you're left with no clear idea who that was

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

watch this drat show do nothing with that martha tease. shes just alive in moscow that's it lol

Does Oleg know who Martha is? I mean he knew Stan and most probably knew that Gaad's office had been bugged, maybe even knew about her relocating to Russia since that was a larger operation..

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Earwicker posted:

Does Oleg know who Martha is? I mean he knew Stan and most probably knew that Gaad's office had been bugged, maybe even knew about her relocating to Russia since that was a larger operation..

Doubtful. Oleg was assigned to work on science and technology intel. Closest he got to Martha was transcribing Mail Robot beeps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oleg remains fantastic and probably the most sympathetic character on the entire show.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

precision posted:

Oleg remains fantastic and probably the most sympathetic character on the entire show.

Mail robot?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oleg is the Simon LeBon of Russia oops The Soviet Union :ussr:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently Moscow actually had tons of disco bars in the early 80s and they were partially controlled by the KGB and were popular spots for meeting foreign agents so holy poo poo writers give us Oleg in the disco now please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

precision posted:

Apparently Moscow actually had tons of disco bars in the early 80s and they were partially controlled by the KGB and were popular spots for meeting foreign agents so holy poo poo writers give us Oleg in the disco now please

Буги-лихорадка!

• Locked thread